The Student Room Group

Failed GCSE Maths - what next?

Hi all, I'll keep this short. I'm 19 years of age and I've recently completed my two-year level 3 course at my local college (equivalent to 3 A-Levels). However, I've recently failed my GCSE maths retake for the third time. Maths isn't my strong point at all and I keep scoring grade D/3.

The issue is that I have finished education and I still don't have a grade 4 or above in mathematics. I have 5 GCSEs graded A*-C (or 9-1), so I'm almost there. However, this means I can't apply for the job I'm looking at due to the absence of my GCSE in maths!

What exactly can I do if I don't have my maths GCSE and I've finished education? Could I perhaps retake it in November as a private candidate and self-study from now, until then?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Original post by Usernam891
Hi all, I'll keep this short. I'm 19 years of age and I've recently completed my two-year level 3 course at my local college (equivalent to 3 A-Levels). However, I've recently failed my GCSE maths retake for the third time. Maths isn't my strong point at all and I keep scoring grade D/3.

The issue is that I have finished education and I still don't have a grade 4 or above in mathematics. I have 5 GCSEs graded A*-C (or 9-1), so I'm almost there. However, this means I can't apply for the job I'm looking at due to the absence of my GCSE in maths!

What exactly can I do if I don't have my maths GCSE and I've finished education? Could I perhaps retake it in November as a private candidate and self-study from now, until then?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I have a feeling maths courses are still free at your local college if you havent passed.

https://www.gov.uk/improve-english-maths-it-skills

You can also be a private candidate., although that will cost you c £150-250 to pay for exam and private centre fee.

You can do it by correspondence which could be £300 and then the exam fees.

I would ask which local college runs it> maths is some peoples blind spot so think about a tutor and if you really cant do it then consider doing the functional skills maths rather than GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest