What are some good alternative courses to medicine? Watch

impala2chef
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there I have just got my alevel results extremely dissappointed DCE and kicking myself because I know i can get 3As but lacked motivation all year. I am determined to resit but it seems unlikely i will get into medicine after resitting so I want to know what some good alternative courses are? No hate please
username3174650
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by impala2chef)
Hi there I have just got my alevel results extremely dissappointed DCE and kicking myself because I know i can get 3As but lacked motivation all year. I am determined to resit but it seems unlikely i will get into medicine after resitting so I want to know what some good alternative courses are? No hate please
Biomedical sciences, biological sciences, pharmacy.. many sciences and other healthcare degrees have a link to medicine. In fact, you could even apply for graduate medicine after you complete your first degree (granted, graduate medicine is wayyyy more competitive than undergrad medicine and you would need to do amazing in your first degree)

If you don't mind me asking, which medical schools did you apply to?
puddleduck
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Research graduate entry medicine, and in the meantime you could do an undergraduate degree that you genuinely enjoy and find interesting. I missed my medicine offer at A level and studied biology 'cause I figured it was close to medicine--- I definitely should have ignored medicine at that point and instead just done something I was more interested in. Also, the lack of motivation thing is tricky- personally things worked out for me, and I now reckon if I'd got in at undergrad level I'd have failed out of med school- because I was super unmotivated too... but at some point I realised that motivation doesn't cut it- anyone can work hard when motivated- the trick to success is working hard when you're not motivated.
impala2chef
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lmaoihategcses)
Biomedical sciences, biological sciences, pharmacy.. many sciences and other healthcare degrees have a link to medicine. In fact, you could even apply for graduate medicine after you complete your first degree (granted, graduate medicine is wayyyy more competitive than undergrad medicine and you would need to do amazing in your first degree)

If you don't mind me asking, which medical schools did you apply to?
I didn't apply to any medical schools as I was uncertain what I wanted to do as a career and planned on taking a gap year. And yes I'm thinking of biomedical science or biological science thanks for the suggestions
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PA course maybe idk
hteqw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do some research into foundation years before you commit to a different degree...... atleast 3 years of your life and £££££££. Grad med is a long process, a lot of people will decide medicine is not for them after studying biomed etc..

You will need to get atleast a 2.1, although some do accept 2.2 + masters and some even accept 2.2 eg.notts. GAMSAT is the worst exam in world ( this is an understatement). If you can't stay motivated on a levels then degree might be just as hard......
Some grad med unis will only consider certain degrees so its worth considering the entry policies etc..

You could retake a levels, some unis do accept retakes done over 3 years but this is a tiny minority, some take your circumstances into consideration.

I think you should start by getting to the root of this 'motivation' issue. Consider what factors in your life affected your performance, have you always been like this, perhaps there is an underlying medical issue... etc
impala2chef
Rep:
?
(Original post by hteqw)
Do some research into foundation years before you commit to a different degree...... atleast 3 years of your life and £££££££. Grad med is a long process, a lot of people will decide medicine is not for them after studying biomed etc..

You will need to get atleast a 2.1, although some do accept 2.2 + masters and some even accept 2.2 eg.notts. GAMSAT is the worst exam in world ( this is an understatement). If you can't stay motivated on a levels then degree might be just as hard......
Some grad med unis will only consider certain degrees so its worth considering the entry policies etc..

You could retake a levels, some unis do accept retakes done over 3 years but this is a tiny minority, some take your circumstances into consideration.

I think you should start by getting to the root of this 'motivation' issue. Consider what factors in your life affected your performance, have you always been like this, perhaps there is an underlying medical issue... etc
I have been suffering depression all year and I think that definitely has something to do with it, I've had no energy to do anything any just fallen into a cycle of laziness and sadness. I really want to do a respectable degree course it doesn't even have to be medicine, just something science related that I will find enjoyment in and make my family proud. The thought of resitting my alevels is a scary one but I will face it if its what must be done. Thanks for the help
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Biomedicine, and then go into med, you can do midwifery and get into med via that or Pharmacy, any science related course, you need to make sure you are prepared to do well if you're thinking graduate medicine, it's really competitive and you need like a 2:1 in your degree, in order to get into doing graduate med which I think its 4 years instead of 5. But I know loads who did biomed and went into med,its a really popular route to take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads