Predicted AAA. Oxford or Cambridge? Watch

cherlyne
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just got my AS results and have to put in my application soon due to my college's internal deadline. I got low AAAs and am predicted AAA as well. My teachers say it's almost impossible for me to get an A* in A level with my AS grades. I want to study Law at Cambridge. However, with these grades, should I drop Cambridge and try for Oxford instead?
/JR/
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2 main things should influence your decision here
-Which uni do you like more in general- both of them are ridiculously prestigious, it really doesn't matter which you apply to, assuming your personal statement and such as well as evidence of passion is super strong. however
-If your gcse grades aren't amazing- like maybe 2,3A* or less, oxford will be harder to get into as they put a massive emphasis on gcses. Cambridge likes seeing progress however, so it really comes down to whichever u prefer if you're gcses are really good
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They're both going to have similar entry requirements, i.e. AAA at the very least. Just because a typical offer from Cambridge is A*AA doesn't mean that's the minimum offer (and personally I think with grades like that you could get in an A*). So apply for the uni you want to go to more.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cherlyne)
I just got my AS results and have to put in my application soon due to my college's internal deadline. I got low AAAs and am predicted AAA as well. My teachers say it's almost impossible for me to get an A* in A level with my AS grades. I want to study Law at Cambridge. However, with these grades, should I drop Cambridge and try for Oxford instead?
If you have opportunity to visit both places, or have done before, draw on that experience and think about where you'd prefer to live and study. Look at both courses and see which one you prefer: even if the differences are only subtle.
iwatermeloni
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that for a course as competitive as Law at Cambridge, you really do need to be predicted an A*. I know less about the Oxford admissions but I will reflect a previous comment about good GCSE grades since these will most likely get you through to interview.
Levurmion
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol don't be discouraged by ur AS. My bio AS was a disappointing A(86). It was considered to be pretty difficult to magically turn into an A* at A level. My teacher thought that it was impossible as this was the lowest A in my school. But after a week of house arrest before my bio exam, I managed to secure a decent A*(93). Soo... just work ur ass off even if that means imprisoning urself... Everything will be worth the blood, sweat and tears... 👌
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cherlyne)
If you're not predicted A*AA or better then Cambridge are very likely to reject you before interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads