Should I re-apply to Cambridge or take my UCL offer? Watch

iwatermeloni
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I received AAB (Latin, Biology, Maths) in my A Levels yesterday and I don't know what to do. I wanted to study Archaeology at my firm choice, Cambridge University, but missed out on the grade requirements (A*AA), which I know that I am capable of. Luckily I have a place at UCL but my heart is in Cambridge. Do I take a year out, re-apply and re-take maths to try and get that A* or do I go to UCL?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by isabeya)
I received AAB (Latin, Biology, Maths) in my A Levels yesterday and I don't know what to do. I wanted to study Archaeology at my firm choice, Cambridge University, but missed out on the grade requirements (A*AA), which I know that I am capable of. Luckily I have a place at UCL but my heart is in Cambridge. Do I take a year out, re-apply and re-take maths to try and get that A* or do I go to UCL?
Go to UCL. You won't be a particularly strong candidate next year with a resit in a 3rd year and A*AA with an A in the only relevant subject.
iwatermeloni
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Go to UCL. You won't be a particularly strong candidate next year with a resit in a 3rd year and A*AA with an A in the only relevant subject.
I appreciate the advice but the point is that all three subjects are relevant. Having done a lot of research into the course, I have discovered that it is a balance between the sciences and humanities. The issue is that I'm really disappointed with a B and now that I know I am capable of an offer I want to retake and re-apply.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
I appreciate the advice but the point is that all three subjects are relevant. Having done a lot of research into the course, I have discovered that it is a balance between the sciences and humanities. The issue is that I'm really disappointed with a B and now that I know I am capable of an offer I want to retake and re-apply.
Resits generally are not recommended for Cambridge reapplicants and does put you at a disadvantage during the application process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Accept you are disappointed with a B, but Cambridge make it quite clear, competitive applicants make the grades in 2 years. You haven't done that, and you have another whole year to increase Maths to A* which isn't a test of the intensity of academic effort required at Cam. You stand a really strong chance of NOT getting a Cambridge offer and if you didn't get the A*, some chance of not getting the UCL offer again.

You can go to Cam for postgrad.
iwatermeloni
Rep:
?
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
Resits generally are not recommended for Cambridge reapplicants and does put you at a disadvantage during the application process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How big of a disadvantage are you talking about?
ireti
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
everyone is know that got into Cambridge got at least 2A* I personally wouldn't take the the risk. are you really prepared to go through all that exam stress again? but UCL is an amazing university and wow you must be talrnted to go there. check with Cambridge first if they accept resits because I doubt they do .
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
wolfmoon88
Report 1 year ago
How big of a disadvantage are you talking about?
I think somebody asked Peterhouse admissions a similar question in the thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...5514936&page=7 : Check what the admissions officers say about it :yep:
iwatermeloni
Rep:
?
(Original post by ireti)
everyone is know that got into Cambridge got at least 2A* I personally wouldn't take the the risk. are you really prepared to go through all that exam stress again? but UCL is an amazing university and wow you must be talrnted to go there. check with Cambridge first if they accept resits because I doubt they do .
I think for a course like Archaeology, which is very small, you are more likely to have a competitive application with fewer A*s. And that is the issue. I don't know whether I am mentally prepared to go through the whole process again. But I also don't know whether I am mentally prepared to accept and move on yet.
wolfmoon88
Report 1 year ago
I think for a course like Archaeology, which is very small, you are more likely to have a competitive application with fewer A*s. And that is the issue. I don't know whether I am mentally prepared to go through the whole process again. But I also don't know whether I am mentally prepared to accept and move on yet.
As a fellow Oxbridge reject who felt the same way approximately a year and a bit prior (Post-interview Rejection... was absolutely devastated), I would really try hard to move on :sadnod: Go to another university, have fun and don't think about Oxbridge in postgraduate degrees. UCL is an excellent university in a vibrant location; you won't lose a lot by going there instead of Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iwatermeloni
Rep:
?
As a fellow Oxbridge reject who felt the same way approximately a year and a bit prior (Post-interview Rejection... was absolutely devastated), I would really try hard to move on :sadnod: Go to another university, have fun and don't think about Oxbridge in postgraduate degrees. UCL is an excellent university in a vibrant location; you won't lose a lot by going there instead of Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry to hear that you have had a similar experience, but it is hard to move on so quickly from something so fresh. I do appreciate that UCL is a great university, but right now it's really hard to swallow. I am absolutely gutted.
ireti
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know uni plays a part but your course should be the main factor. It would be a different story of the second uni wasn't as good but FRICKEN UCL? If you put aside league tables the people at UCLare as good as Cambridge and the facilities, plus it's in London so you'll have access to much more stuff. honestly the name UCL (or any London uni) carries as much power as Oxbridge, there's no point living in regret. give it some thought but honestly if you look back on the amount of stress UCAS application personal statement work experience interview exam prep that you went though I don't think a normal person would go through that again when you've got am amazing place on your grasp. that's just my opinion tho but do as you like
wolfmoon88
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry to hear that you have had a similar experience, but it is hard to move on so quickly from something so fresh. I do appreciate that UCL is a great university, but right now it's really hard to swallow. I am absolutely gutted.
Definitely, sometimes... I still think about what I could have done better to get an offer or if I should have reapplied. :sadnod: Take a couple of days to relax and clear your mind. Then make your decision after some self reflection and research; not good to make such an important decision when the pain is still fresh.
iwatermeloni
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=ireti;79324082]I know uni plays a part but your course should be the main factor. It would be a different story of the second uni wasn't as good but FRICKEN UCL? If you put aside league tables the people at UCLare as good as Cambridge and the facilities, plus it's in London so you'll have access to much more stuff. honestly the name UCL (or any London uni) carries as much power as Oxbridge, there's no point living in regret. give it some thought but honestly if you look back on the amount of stress UCAS application personal statement work experience interview exam prep that you went though I don't think a normal person would go through that again when you've got am amazing place on your grasp. that's just my opinion tho but do as you like[/QUOTE

Both the course and the university were driving me to Cambridge, you see. I have been, until now, solely invested in Cambridge, so now I'm floundering. You're probably right but as I've said before, this is all so fresh.
iwatermeloni
Rep:
?
Definitely, sometimes... I still think about what I could have done better to get an offer or if I should have reapplied. :sadnod: Take a couple of days to relax and clear your mind. Then make your decision after some self reflection and research; not good to make such an important decision when the pain is still fresh.
Thank you for the advice.
wolfmoon88
Report 1 year ago
No problem, I hope everything works out for you :yep:
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
I won't tell you not to re-apply, but I'd just note that UCL is VERY good for Archaeology. The UCL Institute of Archaeology is world-renowned and quite equal to Cambridge in terms of academics.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go to UCL - it is a fine university - one of the best in the UK.

My friends son did his undergrad at a slightly less regarded uni - got a first and then got a masters offer from Cambridge.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's always MPhil at Cambridge if you still want to consider it later.

Enjoy UCL, it's a great university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As others already mentioned, definitely take the UCL offer.

Oxbridge is notorious for putting re-applying candidates who once got worse grades at a severe disadvantage. Considering you got an offer from one of the best school in the UK and the world, it would be very unwise not to take it.

As much as it is disappointing and you known youre capable of more than a B, try accepting it and being happy that you got into UCL, one of the best school in the world.

Good luck and congrats on UCL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.74%
Excited (150)
8.97%
Worried (303)
18.12%
Terrified (374)
22.37%
Meh (154)
9.21%
Confused (37)
2.21%