The Student Room Group

What courses and what universities would accept A-level grades BCD??

I got grades ABB at AS level but this year for A-level I got BCD. :frown:
I am unsure of what course I want to do now. Previously I wanted to do English.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Call clearing. My friend got those grades and Aston is still giving her a space to study biomedical science,so just do some research and start calling up some unis.
just call up a bunch of unis that have the course that you want in clearing and ask if they’ll take you. I got those grades too and I got into Leicester through clearing for psychology, so getting not-so-good grades doesn’t mean you can’t get into a decent uni :smile: I also got aston, essex, Portsmouth and Plymouth. just make a list of any uni that you fancy and try to get as many offers as possible before making a decision. and try to get family/friends to also call them so it’s quicker too
Original post by cribabyyip
I am unsure of what course I want to do now. Previously I wanted to do English Literature with Psychology or with History of Art.

Hi @cribabyyip :smile:

Universities won't be able to share their clearing entry requirements with you but instead they will be able to fill in a form with you over the phone and assess whether they can offer you a place or not.

Try not to worry, my best advice would be to just contact the universities that you are interested in and speaking with them directly. Some institutions, like us, will consider your application as a whole and ask you questions about your work experience or anything you have that is relevant and beneficial to your application.

I hope this is a little helpful but please do give me a shout if you have any more clearing questions.

Ruth
Hey there,

Congratulations on getting your results, though I'm sorry it's not what you aspired to.

It might be worth giving us a call on 0800 977 4653.

We offer a number of degrees related to English literature. I believe we also have vacancies in History of Art in what's a very dynamic, creative and artistic environment, so worth considering if you're still interested in this area. :smile:

I am unsure of what course I want to do now. Previously I wanted to do English Literature with Psychology or with History of Art.
A massive congratulations to you for your results, sorry to hear it wasn't what you were hoping for but you know what, you worked hard for those results so they should still be celebrated!

Kingston University still have places available via Clearing, why not give our Clearing Hotline a call on: 0800 0483 334 we offer a wide range of courses with an opportunity to turn them into joint honours, we have a student currently studying Drama and Business, the choices are endless :biggrin:

Best of luck,
- Jessy from Kingston University
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SKintu
Call clearing. My friend got those grades and Aston is still giving her a space to study biomedical science,so just do some research and start calling up some unis.

Wow that's great! Thank you, it made me feel better knowing that. I am calling up unis at the moment so i hope it works out!
Reply 7
Original post by moonshine99
just call up a bunch of unis that have the course that you want in clearing and ask if they’ll take you. I got those grades too and I got into Leicester through clearing for psychology, so getting not-so-good grades doesn’t mean you can’t get into a decent uni :smile: I also got aston, essex, Portsmouth and Plymouth. just make a list of any uni that you fancy and try to get as many offers as possible before making a decision. and try to get family/friends to also call them so it’s quicker too

Congratulations on getting into the course/uni that you wanted!! :smile: I'm so glad there are success stories like yours for people who also got grades like ours, It made me feel so much better and it makes them seem not so bad. Thank you so much xx Can I ask what grade it was out of those that you got for psychology?
I got similar grades to that, if you don’t mind doing a foundation year it honestly might be your best option. I did a foundation year at essex and had the option to transfer to several other better universities once i was done, including kings college and Queen Mary since i wanted to be in London. You just gotta make sure you get a good 1st for the year
Congratulations on getting into the course/uni that you wanted!! :smile: I'm so glad there are success stories like yours for people who also got grades like ours, It made me feel so much better and it makes them seem not so bad. Thank you so much xx Can I ask what grade it was out of those that you got for psychology?

Thank you!! And I’m glad it makes you feel better, it’s good to reminded that grades like ours doesn’t mean that’s the end of the road! My older sister actually has a friend that got into a RG uni (Southampton) with CCD for engineering so it goes to show that anything is possible, it’s better to try than not try at all! And I actually got a C in psychology😭which was super disappointing considering how hard I’d worked but I’m glad I can still study it at degree level :smile: just to add, Leicester was actually my insurance and they’d rejected me initially, but when I applied through clearing for the same course I actually got given an offer! So if you applied previously and got rejected cause of your grades, it’s worth trying to apply to your firm or insurance again if you really loved them, you never know what could happen
Original post by dirt consider
I got similar grades to that, if you don’t mind doing a foundation year it honestly might be your best option. I did a foundation year at essex and had the option to transfer to several other better universities once i was done, including kings college and Queen Mary since i wanted to be in London. You just gotta make sure you get a good 1st for the year

Hey, thanks so much for the help. I'm so glad to hear you got where you wanted after all yoir efforts, despite getting grades like mine.
I've decided to take a year out though and do an apprenticeship while doing another A-level (fast track), and apply for uni next year. Thanks again.
My mate got into Maths & stats at Queen Mary with BCD
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London
Hey there,

Congratulations on getting your results, though I'm sorry it's not what you aspired to.

It might be worth giving us a call on 0800 977 4653.

We offer a number of degrees related to English literature. I believe we also have vacancies in History of Art in what's a very dynamic, creative and artistic environment, so worth considering if you're still interested in this area. :smile:

Original post by Kingston University
A massive congratulations to you for your results, sorry to hear it wasn't what you were hoping for but you know what, you worked hard for those results so they should still be celebrated!

Kingston University still have places available via Clearing, why not give our Clearing Hotline a call on: 0800 0483 334 we offer a wide range of courses with an opportunity to turn them into joint honours, we have a student currently studying Drama and Business, the choices are endless :biggrin:

Best of luck,
- Jessy from Kingston University

Lol. Plugging bare huh?
Original post by moonshine99
Thank you!! And I’m glad it makes you feel better, it’s good to reminded that grades like ours doesn’t mean that’s the end of the road! My older sister actually has a friend that got into a RG uni (Southampton) with CCD for engineering so it goes to show that anything is possible, it’s better to try than not try at all! And I actually got a C in psychology😭which was super disappointing considering how hard I’d worked but I’m glad I can still study it at degree level :smile: just to add, Leicester was actually my insurance and they’d rejected me initially, but when I applied through clearing for the same course I actually got given an offer! So if you applied previously and got rejected cause of your grades, it’s worth trying to apply to your firm or insurance again if you really loved them, you never know what could happen

Aw thank you soo much for all the info and encouragement!! It truly means a lot. Learning of these success stories help me stay focused and realise its not the end of the world. It's amazing that you got to do the course you wanted regardless of getting A-level results like mine! I got a C for art which was also suuper disappointing because I know how much time, effort and hardwork I'd put into it so your disappointment with psychology is so completely understandable. I've decided to take a gap year though and do an apprenticeship while doing a fast track A-level so hopefull everything goes well. Best of luck to you at uni and thanks again :smile:
Original post by Ol94
op will panic and pick another bs degree probably psychology

almost as bad
Original post by CollectiveSoul
probably a blessing in disguise as English is a micky-mouse degree in terms of career prospects and will cost you £50k. do something vocational.

As I said, currently unsure of what course to do. Taking a gap year, doing another A-level alongside my apprenticeship. I think an English degree can lead to a pretty good, wide range of careers. Which vocational courses would you recommend anyhow?
Original post by Ol94
op will panic and pick another bs degree probably psychology

Nope, taking a gap year to widen my options and not picking psychology. :smile:
Original post by PetrolHead26
My mate got into Maths & stats at Queen Mary with BCD

Not very good at maths so unfortunately can't do the same.
Goodluck with wherever you go :smile:
I had disappointing Alevels this year too (ACC) although I had unconditionals from uni anyway for psychology.

My friends;
AEU - sports therapy
DDD - art
DDE - psyc and criminology
A*CC - Psychology
ACD - English
**all got their firm choices :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I achieved BCCC and I've got a place from Keele University for law and politics. :smile:

Quick Reply