Would I have to resit all my subjects if reapplying for medicine? Watch

Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got AAB and needed AAA; do I sit all 3 or just the one I got a B in?

Should I resit one of my A subjects and see if I can get an A*?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 134841422)
I got AAB and needed AAA; do I sit all 3 or just the one I got a B in?

Should I resit one of my A subjects and see if I can get an A*?
You need to check the university's policy on resits. AFAIK some (or all) medical schools require your A-Levels to be obtained in one whole sitting

https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...esit-policies/
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
You need to check the university's policy on resits. AFAIK some (or all) medical schools require your A-Levels to be obtained in one whole sitting

https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...esit-policies/
you didn't answer my question - would I have to retake all 3 subjects or just the one in which I got a B
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you didn't answer my question - would I have to retake all 3 subjects or just the one in which I got a B
I said you might need to have all your A-Levels in one sitting. Resitting a single A-Level is not taking all your A-Levels in one single sitting so you might not meet some medical school's criteria.

Refer to the link I put in and contact the universities you wish to apply to for further clarification.
dxna.s
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just the one you got a B in. But as far as I know, Medicine entry requirements are very strict and most universities won’t allow retakes. You’d have to call them up and see if you can come to a solution. Good luck
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Medical schools don't like retakes. If you want to study medicine look into the foundation programs and graduate entry. There's also clinical sciences at bradford which will let you transfer if you achieve 70%
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
Medical schools don't like retakes. If you want to study medicine look into the foundation programs and graduate entry. There's also clinical sciences at bradford which will let you transfer if you achieve 70%
so I don't have a good chance?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so I don't have a good chance?
I don't think you have a strong chance of getting in via A-Levels.

You need to think about other routes to get into medicine
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some medical schools do allow resits, although some of them require you to get A*AA or higher on the second sitting

Have a look here for a table of resit policies for each med school
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...resit-policies

For those that do allow resits, have a further look at their websites for complete information and contact them if you are still not sure whether you would need to resit just the B or all of them
I think this is the best starting point for you and is definitely worth a try, if this fails you still have the option of grad med although this is more expensive and takes longer. I'm not sure if there are any foundation courses that would fit your circumstances, most are designed either for people with good grades but in the wrong subjects or for people from deprived areas. Check their entry requirements carefully if you are thinking about this route, but I would try resitting first.
Rep:
?
(Original post by theresheglows)
Some medical schools do allow resits, although some of them require you to get A*AA or higher on the second sitting

Have a look here for a table of resit policies for each med school
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...resit-policies

For those that do allow resits, have a further look at their websites for complete information and contact them if you are still not sure whether you would need to resit just the B or all of them
I think this is the best starting point for you and is definitely worth a try, if this fails you still have the option of grad med although this is more expensive and takes longer. I'm not sure if there are any foundation courses that would fit your circumstances, most are designed either for people with good grades but in the wrong subjects or for people from deprived areas. Check their entry requirements carefully if you are thinking about this route, but I would try resitting first.
thanks man,
I've emailed all 7 that allow resits, about this

I'm thinking of resitting all of them - I think I can get A*A*A this time - maybe it would increase my chances?
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks man,
I've emailed all 7 that allow resits, about this

I'm thinking of resitting all of them - I think I can get A*A*A this time - maybe it would increase my chances?
Yeah, if you achieve those grades it probably would
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?