The Student Room Group

Family business or uni

Follow my results day debarkle of BBB and missing my insurance and my firm of law/ politics I'm with a business with law degree at man met. Parents don't see the value or even previously the value of my law degree as they're logic stems why work for someone else when you can work for yourself- I come from a first gen immigrant family who've all made it like this.
Now their speech was we have these investments and money just start franchising or housing with it.
Not to to sound pretentious but from a guy whose been bred his whole life for uni and higher education by friends and teachers to hear this is a bit like what do I do.
So here I stand in the gym asking for your opinions please and thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Follow my results day debarkle of BBB and missing my insurance and my firm of law/ politics I'm with a business with law degree at man met. Parents don't see the value or even previously the value of my law degree as they're logic stems why work for someone else when you can work for yourself- I come from a first gen immigrant family who've all made it like this.
Now their speech was we have these investments and money just start franchising or housing with it.
Not to to sound pretentious but from a guy whose been bred his whole life for uni and higher education by friends and teachers to hear this is a bit like what do I do.
So here I stand in the gym asking for your opinions please and thank you :smile:

What is it you really want to do? I would focus on that, then see whether I could make it happen. Not sure a business degree from man met is going to cut it so i might consider a resit or a foundation.

Making your own money doesnt sound like a bad idea unless you show me a better option.
Do a decent degree like management, accounting, finance, economics etc which are highly valued by employers were you gain a lot of skills from that degree along with voluntary work, summer work etc.

It's down to you, you can work hard and run a business.
What kind of business have you got the opportunity to run? Are you being asked to man a famly shop which really is not the same?
Reply 4
Original post by Simonthegreat
What kind of business have you got the opportunity to run? Are you being asked to man a famly shop which really is not the same?

Moving from gaining experience in s franchise chicken shop to then bigger names such as MC Donalds just the experience is what I need to get off running my own place first, on top of that I can move to investment properties and the like so it's a mixed bag just the question will a degree help me in my own ventures
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
What is it you really want to do? I would focus on that, then see whether I could make it happen. Not sure a business degree from man met is going to cut it so i might consider a resit or a foundation.

Making your own money doesnt sound like a bad idea unless you show me a better option.

I get what you mean but after the degree I intend for a law conversion just in case this family thing doesn't work out and still go for law that way

Quick Reply

Latest