The Student Room Group

I started my own business and am a medical student - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guru Jason
I don't know how I could trust a doctor who didn't put 100% of their time into medicine. Would you consider this a problem if people asked or how would you react?

Are you a medic yourself? I think your argument is a fallacy. Not a single medic or doctor focuses on medicine 100% of the time: whether they focus on sports in their free time e.g. lots of my friends do rowing/football, or yoga, or religious practice, or debating, political affiliation. The fact medical schools actually encourage these pursuits suggests something. The fact that my academic tutors have never voiced any concerns either again suggests something. The fact that my grades are consistently high and in some cases have meant I come top 10 in the year also says something.

I think having a different focus other than medicine means you learn more about life and so have more to offer to medicine. Also if all medics were told you can’t have a job or you can’t make money during your course would either default those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds into debts or bar them from the field altogether. I have convinced myself even further that your argument is a fallacy.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Doctors have lives outside their line of work too as do medical students. So outside work, he can do whatever he likes whether it be start up a business of relax at campus

As long as he is leaving time to work for his degree to a good standard, it shouldn't matter what he does when he isn't working. It is a matter of choice. You could argue if you do extra curricular activities outside medical school, then you aren't dedicating 100% time to medicine either but that would be ridiculous as this could essentially be his extra curricular activity.

A work life balance is essential to any medical student/doctor so this could be a way he enjoys spending spare time.

I know balance is important but running a business also isn't easy. I mean playing golf on your day off is one thing but I imagine running a business is time consuming. I always had the impression that medicine is a diciplins that a student should always focus on especially if they have my life in their hands. I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion.
Original post by DrXavier
Are you a medic yourself? I think your argument is a fallacy. Not a single medic or doctor focuses on medicine 100% of the time: whether they focus on sports in their free time e.g. lots of my friends do rowing/football, or yoga, or religious practice, or debating, political affiliation. The fact medical schools actually encourage these pursuits suggests something. The fact that my academic tutors have never voiced any concerns either again suggests something. The fact that my grades are consistently high and in some cases have meant I come top 10 in the year also says something.

I think having a different focus other than medicine means you learn more about life and so have more to offer to medicine. Also if all medics were told you can’t have a job or you can’t make money during your course would either default those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds into debts or bar them from the field altogether. I have convinced myself even further that your argument is a fallacy.

Im not a doctor/medical student. I only have my opinion on what a doctor should be. As I said below, playing golf on your day off is a bit different to running a company. It just my opinion.
I know balance is important but running a business also isn't easy. I mean playing golf on your day off is one thing but I imagine running a business is time consuming. I always had the impression that medicine is a diciplins that a student should always focus on especially if they have my life in their hands. I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion.

I respect your opinion and understand why when you are being treated by someone, a 100% dedication is important to you.

However, when doctors are working with patients, they are able to separate their home or out of work life.

It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to be able to pass and gain satisfaction from staff that your skills are competent enough to practise safely in a medical environment. The competence requires great knowledge and understanding of medicine. If the business hasn’t impeded the doctor from providing the best care to patients, and also there isn’t a conflict of interest, then I don’t see what’s wrong with a doctor doing side business.
Original post by AppleB
No need to apologise. I didn’t explain myself properly.

The lecturer said as nurses administer medication they need to take responsibility. This can be safely managed by following the 5R’s - right route, dose, patient, time and drug. Although doctors prescribe and nurses administer, the nurse will ultimately be accountable even if what the doctor prescribed was wrong. They said the doctor would get a slap on the hand and nurse would face being struck off the register. That made me sick to the stomach.

Neither you (as a nurse) or a doctor should be using medication without it being checked first by a pharmacist. I am not sure where your lecturer works, but if that's how they're practising then I will not be surprised if there are errors happening.
As in the title ... I am 23 btw :smile:

Good on you! I am a newly qualified pharmacist and I am looking to have some sort of a business in the pharmacy sector before doing the GEM. As long as the business is running smoothly and not taking too much of my time, then it's a huge plus in my opinion.
Original post by haseeb_jarral
how did you start it?

like just in general. I wanted to start one but i was hella confused on how to 😂
Do you think you'll continue after you graduate?

nah when I am a doctor I don't want to stretch myself too thin! At least not as involved! Just focus on being the best doctor I can be.
I don't know how I could trust a doctor who didn't put 100% of their time into medicine. Would you consider this a problem if people asked or how would you react?

Im sure people can focus on more than one thing at a time.
Original post by Mr Optimist
Good on you! I am a newly qualified pharmacist and I am looking to have some sort of a business in the pharmacy sector before doing the GEM. As long as the business is running smoothly and not taking too much of my time, then it's a huge plus in my opinion.

Ah that's so cool! I am actually a GEM as well :smile:

I have a few friends doing something similar e.g. a dentist who does some work part-time to pay her tuition fees!
How did you start your buisness?
Original post by runtime-error
How did you start your buisness?

Difficult question - I don't remember a defined starting point. When I first started I was just planning to important and sell wholesale, but then that I found really difficult, because margins were too thin. By flavouring, roasting, adding value basically I found there was more of a space for that in the market. It was a bit of luck too with certain contacts and timing of those contacts too.
Original post by AppleB
:lol: I didn’t mean it in that way.

how did you mean it? :lol: which Uni do you go to?
Hey one of my career aspirations is to be an entrepreneur. I really aim to start some sort of online business in the summer of First year.

Is it possible to start it alone, and did you? Or did you have a team?

Also how did you bring traffic to your business?

Congrats btw I aspire to be you, can you mentor me xD
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hey one of my career aspirations is to be an entrepreneur. I really aim to start some sort of online business in the summer of First year.

Is it possible to start it alone, and did you? Or did you have a team?

Also how did you bring traffic to your business?

Congrats btw I aspire to be you, can you mentor me xD

I am really bad with generating traffic online. It is something I really struggle with. I have tried to learn about SEO and that sort of thing, but still struggle. I have recently started using instagram so hopefully that will help.

What I am good with is meeting business owners that are looking to do things different be it change to a more eco-friendly system or completely change their flavour ranges. I am really good at generating a rapport, meeting and going for lunch or just calling up and seeing how business is going to see if I can do anything better to support them. Basically I try to work as closely with my business customers as possible to build that relationship. Selling to the general public is an art I am yet to come even close to mastering. So for online business I definitely am not in a position to mentor anyone.

I started alone, but lots of people have come in to help me since and honestly I think what I am deficient in others definitely make the difference.
I am really bad with generating traffic online. It is something I really struggle with. I have tried to learn about SEO and that sort of thing, but still struggle. I have recently started using instagram so hopefully that will help.

What I am good with is meeting business owners that are looking to do things different be it change to a more eco-friendly system or completely change their flavour ranges. I am really good at generating a rapport, meeting and going for lunch or just calling up and seeing how business is going to see if I can do anything better to support them. Basically I try to work as closely with my business customers as possible to build that relationship. Selling to the general public is an art I am yet to come even close to mastering. So for online business I definitely am not in a position to mentor anyone.

I started alone, but lots of people have come in to help me since and honestly I think what I am deficient in others definitely make the difference.

Thanks for the detailed reply :smile:.

You can also consider reaching out to fitness YouTubers/lifestyle you tubers. The ones with a decent but not too popular following would probably gladly endorse you if you sent them a sample. You can also track traffic by giving them a unique small discount code which your website could record so you know if they are helping or not.

You probably already know this but you should check out skillshare use the free trial there’s lots of stuff about marketing.

Seriously I admire your business. Just goes to show the power of what you can make when you just do things. My problem this summer has been using not having a niche as an excuse. In university im gonna keep exploring new things to find a niche, but I’m also going to do try do something.

I had a small Amazon business where i sold my 2nd hand books and it naturally scaled up I ended up selling 2nd hand games, and it’s one of my proudest achievements :tongue:.
(edited 5 years ago)
How will Brexit affect your business ?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Thanks for the detailed reply :smile:.

You can also consider reaching out to fitness YouTubers/lifestyle you tubers. The ones with a decent but not too popular following would probably gladly endorse you if you sent them a sample. You can also track traffic by giving them a unique small discount code which your website could record so you know if they are helping or not.

You probably already know this but you should check out skillshare use the free trial there’s lots of stuff about marketing.

Seriously I admire your business. Just goes to show the power of what you can make when you just do things. My problem this summer has been using not having a niche as an excuse. In university im gonna keep exploring new things to find a niche, but I’m also going to do try do something.

I had a small Amazon business where i sold my 2nd hand books and it naturally scaled up I ended up selling 2nd hand games, and it’s one of my proudest achievements :tongue:.

Yeah the lifestyle people ... I have been in contact with some, but I am not keen on this kind of approach. Having said that some friends are forcing me to come around to the idea now so I may suck up my pride and just send some samples out!

Sounds really good for someone not even in University yet, keep at it man! And thanks for the kind words :smile:
Original post by bobby147
How will Brexit affect your business ?

Honestly - I have no idea.

I listen to a lot of the Brexit debates and also try to keep up with the news, but I genuinely have no idea how it will affect us in all honesty. The nitty gritty of it all just doesn't seem fleshed out. I have one customer in Ireland, I hope it doesn't become more difficult and expensive for them to move goods around, because margins can be incredibly tight on some goods and if you are a small business, small tariff increases big difference

I know currency wise it has been more expensive to import recently, just because of the value of the pound Especially pistachios from the US, but the situation with Iran impacts that too because there is less being shipped out of Iran now so the demand shifts to American produce.
As in the title ... I am 23 btw :smile:

that's goals. how do you manage your social life / studies / business??
Reply 79
Are you paying your taxes :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest