The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do the full Psychology A level in one year?

I received my A-level results yesterday and I'm not too happy with how they turned out. I am planning to take a year out and study another A-level within this year as I know I can achieve better but I'm unsure about this idea. I am interested in Psychology and would like to study it but I would like some advice from people who have or are studying Psychology -
Is it possible to do the whole Psychology A-level in one year?
Is it a good idea?
Do you know anyone who has studied it in one year and what grades they achieved?
Thank you.
Original post by cribabyyip
I received my A-level results yesterday and I'm not too happy with how they turned out. I am planning to take a year out and study another A-level within this year as I know I can achieve better but I'm unsure about this idea. I am interested in Psychology and would like to study it but I would like some advice from people who have or are studying Psychology -
Is it a good idea?
Do you know anyone who has studied it in one year and what grades they achieved?
Thank you.

I think it's too much content to learn in 1 year and then also do well in the exam.
Reply 2
Is it a good idea?
Thank you.

Hey, I feel like that and want to do another a level but I feel like you shouldn’t risk it cos you don’t want to waste the year so do something easy like politics or media. That’s what I’m thinking of doing! And see what colleges offer that and please let me know if you find any!
Reply 3
Original post by Ikra_x
Hey, I feel like that and want to do another a level but I feel like you shouldn’t risk it cos you don’t want to waste the year so do something easy like politics or media. That’s what I’m thinking of doing! And see what colleges offer that and please let me know if you find any!

Hey! I'm glad there's someone else in the same boat as me! Funnily, I have been also researching doing Politics as I'm not sure if I should do Psychology -- you're right about the risk which is why I'm kind of wary of doing it. I don't think any A-level can be 'easy' though -- personally I don't know anyone who has done Politics at A-level so I don't really know how it is but if you have any info on how people find it/what grades are generally achieved please let me know! Also I'm unsure about Media Studies as I've heard many universities look down on it? Not sure how applicable that is but as you said, shouldn't risk it tbh.

I have tried my local colleges who said they don't do so-called 'fast track' A-level but I have found the option available on an online college! It's on http://www.cloudlearn.co.uk/A-Level-Course/Fast-Track

I was so glad when i found this but I'm not sure about it still as I'm a bit scared to pretty much self teach a whole A-level in one year! I dont know where you're located but I also saw a really nice looking college called the Abbey College in Manchester who do offer the fast track option. Unfortunately it's too far for me but it may be of some use to you! If you find some alternatives or better places please also let me know! x
Is it a good idea?
Thank you.

Well psychology has quite a lot of content to study within a year but then again there are those who sit four A-Levels and get straight A*s (over two years).
It all comes down to work ethic, even if it's something you're not entirely interested in, if your work ethic is solid then you can get a good grade.
So it is possible to do in one year but studying for multiple a-levels plus self-teaching psychology and getting good grades is a hard task.
Not that many would be able to do it.
Reply 5
One of my friends said that his friend got a B doing politics.

And I live in London and I only found WKC that do it, do you know any others?
Reply 6
Original post by Ikra_x
One of my friends said that his friend got a B doing politics.

And I live in London and I only found WKC that do it, do you know any others?

Did his friend do it in one year? At least you found one college that does it, congrats! Wish it was the same here but I live in Birmingham and no colleges do it here as far as I know, that's why I'll probably take the online option.
Reply 7
Original post by JamesE1332
Well psychology has quite a lot of content to study within a year but then again there are those who sit four A-Levels and get straight A*s (over two years).
It all comes down to work ethic, even if it's something you're not entirely interested in, if your work ethic is solid then you can get a good grade.
So it is possible to do in one year but studying for multiple a-levels plus self-teaching psychology and getting good grades is a hard task.
Not that many would be able to do it.

Hey, thanks for the information. I'm not taking it along with other A-levels, I just want to do the one A-level in one year and was asking if that's possible as I know how demanding it can be.I have already completed my 2 years of studying three A-level subjects though, and this year I'm doing an apprenticeship; wondering if I can do an extra A-level with it.
Funnily enough I'm in a similar position - I'm considering taking A level psychology in a year having only got 2 A levels

I did attempt to do A level Government and Politics in a year alongside my other A levels however I ended up dropping it for a number of reasons, I found that essay technique was very different to what I'd done in the past for History A level and unless you're very politically engaged it's difficult to form a convincing answer as resources and textbooks tend to be outdated so that's something to keep in mind.
Is it a good idea?
Thank you.

It depends, there is a lot of content, but if you have a good enough work ethic then you could do it. I'd advise against it but it's your choice at the end of the day.
Is it a good idea?
Thank you.

if that is the only a-level you are taking and you are doing this independently, i think its a very possible idea.
if you want to do a psychology degree, the a level isn't required nor encouraged so do remember that
Reply 11
I enrolled myself to a college that does an intensive course, do you live in London?
Original post by Ikra_x
I enrolled myself to a college that does an intensive course, do you live in London?

That's great, congrats! Unfortunately i don't live in london and the only intensive course options for me are online
i did sociology in one year and i got a B so yes you can do it. Ignore the ones saying you cant.
Make sure you spend 2/3 each day consistently.
IMO there's no way you cal learn all the psychology content in one year!
Unless you have a brain transplant!

Psychology is just too heavy on content!
If you're willing to put in 8-10 hours a week, then you can absolutely do it. I tutor AQA Psychology and they have some wonderful textbooks; there are also many revision websites for it, as well as YouTube videos. You just need to have the time and the work ethic as there is a lot of content to learn. But it is not impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending