Bertie2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

My name's Bertie and I'm going to be submitting my UCAS application in October. I am predicted A*A*A in History, Biology & Mathematics. (and an A* in EPQ) after getting AAA in my mocks.

I want to apply for History. (I hate both Bio and Maths and should have taken essay subjects instead)

I have narrowed down my choices to:

Oxford (AAA)
Exeter (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (AAA)
Birmingham (AAB) - This is my safety choice

I now am stuck between UCL or Durham. Durham require A*AA and UCL require AAA. I am not really sure which one to go to. Most of my friends from school are applying to Durham and my careers advisor said that there isn't a huge difference between the 2 in terms of prestige but that Durham might have the edge in the UK for the field which I want to go into. (Law)

Now I want to ask you guys which would you say would look better on a job application, Durham or UCL or is there really no difference?

Cheers,

Bertie
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No difference imo.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bertie2000)
Hello,

My name's Bertie and I'm going to be submitting my UCAS application in October. I am predicted A*A*A in History, Biology & Mathematics. (and an A* in EPQ) after getting AAA in my mocks.

I want to apply for History. (I hate both Bio and Maths and should have taken essay subjects instead)

Oxford (AAA)
Exeter (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (AAA)

I now am stuck between UCL or Durham. Durham require A*AA and UCL require AAA. I am not really sure which one to go to. Most of my friends from school are applying to Durham and my careers advisor said that there isn't a huge difference between the 2 in terms of prestige but that Durham might have the edge in the UK for the field which I want to go into. (Law)

Now I want to ask you guys which would you say would look better on a job application, Durham or UCL or is there really no difference?

Cheers,

Bertie
No real difference when it comes to a job application. Your classification would matter more.
Bertie2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
No difference imo.
Okay thanks for that old chap but could you elaborate a little bit? No difference in terms of prestige of the uni overall or no difference in prestige of the course?
Bertie2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
No real difference when it comes to a job application. Your classification would matter more.
Okay so on paper these 2 institutions are viewed on the same level, how do I make up my mind which to choose?
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Oxford (AAA)
Exeter (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (AAA)

Cheers,

Bertie
My brother's friend got into pure history at Durham and he is very happy there. He also got offers from Bristol and UCL, although for UCL it wasn't pure history i dont think - it was a combination of some other subjects.

In overall world ranking, UCL is higher up but that doesnt necessarily mean that it's the better school for job opportunities.

I suppose you'd have to do a post-grad degree to practice law and since Durham and UCL are both respected, it probably wont matter.

Another thing to consider is living costs - London being very expensive. I'm applying to LSE this September and have planned out my life there basically but it's forcing my parents to be paying around 40,000 pounds a year, including rent, food, fees and everything else.
Bertie2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
can you afford to live in london?
Absolutely, I currently live in West London.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay thanks for that old chap but could you elaborate a little bit? No difference in terms of prestige of the uni overall or no difference in prestige of the course?
They are both great in both aspects, but i would choose Durham if it was me, I hate London, you may love it of course. Your choice will likely come down to locations.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay so on paper these 2 institutions are viewed on the same level, how do I make up my mind which to choose?
Location should be a massive factor for sure. Durham is a lot quieter than London.

Cost of living. Although I believe Durham accommodation is expensive, you'll get a higher rate of maintenance loan for studying in London

Course content - which appeals to you the most? I'm guessing both institutions have different focuses on different parts of history?
Bertie2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
My brother's friend got into pure history at Durham and he is very happy there. He also got offers from Bristol and UCL, although for UCL it wasn't pure history i dont think - it was a combination of some other subjects.

In overall world ranking, UCL is higher up but that doesnt necessarily mean that it's the better school for job opportunities.

I suppose you'd have to do a post-grad degree to practice law and since Durham and UCL are both respected, it probably wont matter.

Another thing to consider is living costs - London being very expensive. I'm applying to LSE this September and have planned out my life there basically but it's forcing my parents to be paying around 40,000 pounds a year, including rent, food, fees and everything else.
Do you know anything about the difference in student lifestyles at Durham/UCL? I currently live in West London, (during holidays, term time I go to school in Oxfordshire) so expense isn't top of the list for concerns at the moment, just about which would look better on paper.
Bertie2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Location should be a massive factor for sure. Durham is a lot quieter than London.

Cost of living. Although I believe Durham accommodation is expensive, you'll get a higher rate of maintenance loan for studying in London

Course content - which appeals to you the most? I'm guessing both institutions have different focuses on different parts of history?
I prefer the course at Durham but just worried about the fact they are asking for A*AA and wondering if it's worth applying there over UCL. If I get Oxford then I'd insure UCL - both of which are the same offer but UCL are quite lenient I've heard. It would look a bit strange to insure Durham as it has a higher grade requirement than Oxford no?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I prefer the course at Durham but just worried about the fact they are asking for A*AA and wondering if it's worth applying there over UCL. If I get Oxford then I'd insure UCL - both of which are the same offer but UCL are quite lenient I've heard. It would look a bit strange to insure Durham as it has a higher grade requirement than Oxford no?
You can wait and see what offer they give you and then decide which to firm/insure. You'll have tonnes of time to think about it too once you've received all your offers.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
Do you know anything about the difference in student lifestyles at Durham/UCL? I currently live in West London, (during holidays, term time I go to school in Oxfordshire) so expense isn't top of the list for concerns at the moment, just about which would look better on paper.
Being in London has its advantages especially if you are applying to law insight weeks and such as most law firms are based in London. In terms of which one looks better on paper... there isn't really that big of a difference. Student life in Durham is residential college based, so like Oxbridge; a bit more intimate. Student life in London is more diverse, you get interact with students all over the city and of course all the attractions and clubs and such... but there is also the danger of being isolated from university life because it is such a big city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On QS ranking, Durham is around ~40; UCL is 15th. Generally, in QS ranking UCL is ranked in the top 10 unis in the world. Durham cannot say they are even remotely close to that achievement of UCL.

Even for internships, if you choose to do them during summer, London being the center of the country means the big firms like recruiting from London unis, rather than others. For Investment banking, a high percentage are recruited from London, from unis such as LSE, UCL, Imperial, King's (efinance website for the source, dont have it directly in front of me though). I can assume it's similar for other areas of any industry.

UCL is an incredible name and does sound better than just Durham, in my eyes. But then Durham sounds better than Huddersfield..
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by random_matt)
No difference imo.
Well, in terms of the location, student atmosphere and course content there's quite a lot of difference.

I strongly suggest you look at the History dept modules and think about which best accommodate your interests (and remember that a UCL History student also has access to history modules at SSEES, other UCL departments and University of London intercollegiate modules). If you want to go into law then your degree classification will be paramount - and you're more likely to get a first if you enjoy what you're studying.
username4168110
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ucl.
jumpman123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Oxford (AAA)
Exeter (A*AA-AAA)
Bristol (AAA)

Cheers,

Bertie
Absolutely, I currently live in West London.
wow lucky, UCL have a great global reputation and are currently ranked 10th in the QS World Rankings, but maybe you'd like to move out of London! Being in London can also mean better employment opportunities and links into industries. If you look at the careers section [for History BA] for UCL they have graduates going to become analysts at Goldman Sachs and Deloitte, which are 2 very hard companies to get into.
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going to Durham to read Law this September. What made me choose Durham over UCL was purely that I thought I'd enjoy student life more at Durham. Like you, I also live in London so I wanted to leave for Uni.

If you also look at these stats here: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/me...university.pdf

You can see that Durham graduates are very sought after for MC/London firms so do not worry at all about Durham not having as many links to London firms as UCL, the big firms all go up and recruit from Durham. I would also say that Durham is regarded as a highly traditional University, very similar to Oxbridge and if you like this sort of student life then that would probably be a big reason to choose Durham over UCL.
infiinitee_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
UCL requires A*AA I thought? But yeah definitely UCL > Durham!
Bertie2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
On QS ranking, Durham is around ~40; UCL is 15th. Generally, in QS ranking UCL is ranked in the top 10 unis in the world. Durham cannot say they are even remotely close to that achievement of UCL.

Even for internships, if you choose to do them during summer, London being the center of the country means the big firms like recruiting from London unis, rather than others. For Investment banking, a high percentage are recruited from London, from unis such as LSE, UCL, Imperial, King's (efinance website for the source, dont have it directly in front of me though). I can assume it's similar for other areas of any industry.

UCL is an incredible name and does sound better than just Durham, in my eyes. But then Durham sounds better than Huddersfield..
Okay but looking at these CUG rankings it does seem to say the contrary, Durham 6th and UCL 10th, UCL seem to have lower entry requirements also! https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings

I did specify that I'm interested in Law which is quite different to IB, also feel that that comparison between Durham and Huddersfield is a bit odd but thanks all the same!

I obviously cant apply to Imperial since it's a STEM focused Uni and I really don't like what I've read about LSE student life so that's another no. Haven't looked at KCL though, from what my school told me it doesn't seem to have a very good rep?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (117)
59.39%
Yes- I don't like it (10)
5.08%
No- I want it (56)
28.43%
No- I don't want it (14)