TheWinterSoilder
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so I'm in bit of a dilemma. I'm currently holding a business offer from Aston but am in 2 minds. I have verbal offers for History at York and Warwick and am unsure of what to do. People tell me History won't get me anywhere etc. Do you think I can hold off the decision until tomorrow (Saturday) or do I need to decide if I want to be released from Aston or accept them. Really stressed
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't do something that will make you unhappy.
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You mean Aston is your insurance choice? If it is, then you need to be asked to put into clearing before you can officially accept either York or Warwick.

History is a good start for courses such as law for post-grad. Warwick has a good name and is a good university, the campus is great and friendly. Compare the York and Warwick course and then decide.

You should phone Aston to ask them about the deadline; it may be tonight or tomorrow. Ask about the deadline for york and Warwick (you dont want to lose them either). Ask for the names of people you speak to for reference in case something turns bad.
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seeing as you got verbal offers from York and Warwick, you only need to put it onto your UCAS Track once you are in clearing and then you'll officially confirm and you're in to either York or Warwick.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheWinterSoilder)
Hi, so I'm in bit of a dilemma. I'm currently holding a business offer from Aston but am in 2 minds. I have verbal offers for History at York and Warwick and am unsure of what to do. People tell me History won't get me anywhere etc. Do you think I can hold off the decision until tomorrow (Saturday) or do I need to decide if I want to be released from Aston or accept them. Really stressed
Who said that? A lot of grad schemes have no specific degree requirement anyway.

My answer below is going to assume you're going through Clearing and not Adjustment.

Your main worry should be when your verbal offers from York and Warwick expire. You need to phone them now and see when they expire because the weekend is approaching and it might take a while for Aston to put you into Clearing.

York and Warwick should never have given you a verbal offer in the first place, to be honest. They shouldn't be giving anyone any verbal offers without a Clearing ID and you can't get a Clearing ID if Aston hasn't put you into Clearing yet.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi TheWinterSoilder,

You've got a big decision to make, but don't worry take your time as this decision is a very important one. Would you rather study business or History? Remember you've got to do this for the next three years. If you really wanted to study History you could do this for three years then do a postgraduate study in Business? Alternatively, you could change from History to Business after a year at York or Warwick?

You could give Ashton uni a call and see if they'll defer your entry and maybe take a gap year if you are really undecided? Gap years are a great way to get some life experience and gain valuable skills that employers look for in graduates.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions then feel free to get in touch or PM me.

Good Luck!

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
TheWinterSoilder
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Who said that? A lot of grad schemes have no specific degree requirement anyway.

My answer below is going to assume you're going through Clearing and not Adjustment.

Your main worry should be when your verbal offers from York and Warwick expire. You need to phone them now and see when they expire because the weekend is approaching and it might take a while for Aston to put you into Clearing.

York and Warwick should never have given you a verbal offer in the first place, to be honest. They shouldn't be giving anyone any verbal offers without a Clearing ID and you can't get a Clearing ID if Aston hasn't put you into Clearing yet.
They asked for my UCAS personal ID and said they'd give me a verbal offer. The reason I haven't asked Aston for a release is whilst I want to do history, people keep telling me it's not worth doing
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They asked for my UCAS personal ID and said they'd give me a verbal offer. The reason I haven't asked Aston for a release is whilst I want to do history, people keep telling me it's not worth doing
Doesn't matter. They should have taken a Clearing number because that's the only way to pull up your application if you already hold an offer on the UCAS system. They're being naughty and going against a system in place for the interests of fairness

Anyway, you need to find out when these verbal offers expire right now. They don't tend to last long and they could expire before Aston even put you into Clearing.

I don't know what you're letting a few people stop you from studying a degree that you want to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (44)
28.76%
No (109)
71.24%

Watched Threads