computer_noob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm currently studying the Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technical (CTEC) Diploma which is sort of my school's equivalent to a BTEC qualification. Technical Diploma is equivalent to 2 A-levels. I also take A-level Maths with this. CTEC is viewed as the same as BTEC by most universities!

My school doesn't offer GCSE/A-level Computer Science.
I've got my AS results with A in Maths and DM in ICT (vocational)
I also have 2 AS results at B (english literature and history). I've dropped these because I just didn't enjoy them. Some universities may view this as one full A level.

I'd like to apply for Computer Science.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bluecow can you help at all?
Cleopatra Eight
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of Universities would definitely consider you with these grades.

As a student there, I recommend the University of Essex. They are very accommodating and would be interested in all those qualifications (mention your AS's too, even the ones you dropped!).
I can't make any guarantees, but it would be somewhere to look at.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good combination for Computer Science!

Most top unis should accept you as you have a strong grade in Maths. if you push for a minimum of DD or higher in your diploma that'll help.

I'm pretty sure Oxford's entry requirements for Computer Science are A* in Maths+ Distinctions in the Diploma.
You should also be able to get into places like: Durham, Exeter, Southampton, Surrey, Loughborough, Bristol, Birmingham, Bath, Kings College London etc.

Just double check with the universities that they accept CTEC as equivalent of BTEC, most only list BTEC because its more common, but the units are practically the same but with a different board so you should be fine.

Hope this helps
computer_noob
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Good combination for Computer Science!

Most top unis should accept you as you have a strong grade in Maths. if you push for a minimum of DD or higher in your diploma that'll help.

I'm pretty sure Oxford's entry requirements for Computer Science are A* in Maths+ Distinctions in the Diploma.
You should also be able to get into places like: Durham, Exeter, Southampton, Surrey, Loughborough, Bristol, Birmingham, Bath, Kings College London etc.

Just double check with the universities that they accept CTEC as equivalent of BTEC, most only list BTEC because its more common, but the units are practically the same but with a different board so you should be fine.

Hope this helps
I don't really know how to explain this one so bear with me..
for CTEC we get a year 1 result which is equivalent to AS. I think this is different to BTEC. To have a shot at D*D, I would need a Distinction and Merit at AS (which I've achieved) as well as Distinction in year 13 coursework. I've also got a distinction in 2 units of my coursework which is due at the end of Year 13. So I'd say I have a realistic shot at D*D.

I have no idea about Maths but at least an A I'm guessing. I've worked quite hard for maths throughout the year and my teacher has recognised that as well as seeing that we had to take the AS early than we were supposed (she said the course [new spec] was to end in June but we ended in April and the AS exams were in May). This can mean I may be able to get an A* prediction (but I'm still in doubt, and I highly doubt I'll be able to get an A*).

TL;DR I think I can get predicted around A in Maths with D*D in ICT.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by computer_noob)
I don't really know how to explain this one so bear with me..
for CTEC we get a year 1 result which is equivalent to AS. I think this is different to BTEC. To have a shot at D*D, I would need a Distinction and Merit at AS (which I've achieved) as well as Distinction in year 13 coursework. I've also got a distinction in 2 units of my coursework which is due at the end of Year 13. So I'd say I have a realistic shot at D*D.

I have no idea about Maths but at least an A I'm guessing. I've worked quite hard for maths throughout the year and my teacher has recognised that as well as seeing that we had to take the AS early than we were supposed (she said the course [new spec] was to end in June but we ended in April and the AS exams were in May). This can mean I may be able to get an A* prediction (but I'm still in doubt, and I highly doubt I'll be able to get an A*).

TL;DR I think I can get predicted around A in Maths with D*D in ICT.
Those would be excellent grades, you'll have a great shot at going to a top uni for Computer Science if you achieve them!

Just make sure you double check with the ones you want to apply to that they accept CTEC instead of BTEC.
computer_noob
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Those would be excellent grades, you'll have a great shot at going to a top uni for Computer Science if you achieve them!

Just make sure you double check with the ones you want to apply to that they accept CTEC instead of BTEC.
Thanks, but I'm unsure about the likes of Durham and Warwick as they say they accept vocational courses but don't put any specific entry requirements?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, but I'm unsure about the likes of Durham and Warwick as they say they accept vocational courses but don't put any specific entry requirements?
Durham say they accept BTECS with an A in A level Maths, read the 'Apply' page on the computer science course.

Warwick don't list BTEC requirements but yiu should try emailing, I know for their Cyber Security degree they say BTEC applicants should enquire for further info.
computer_noob
Rep:
?
Hi, I'm currently studying the Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technical (CTEC) Diploma which is sort of my school's equivalent to a BTEC qualification. Technical Diploma is equivalent to 2 A-levels. I also take A-level Maths with this. CTEC is viewed as the same as BTEC by most universities!

My school doesn't offer GCSE/A-level Computer Science.
I've got my AS results with A in Maths and DM in ICT (vocational)
I also have 2 AS results at B (english literature and history). I've dropped these because I just didn't enjoy them. Some universities may view this as one full A level.

I'd like to apply for Computer Science.
If anyone is reading this for reference in the future I've emailed Durham, Warwick and Southampton. King's college London have listed it on their website.
Durham require either A* with DD or D*D with an A
Warwick require A* D*D*
Southampton A D*D*
King's College London A DD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads