A levels ( wanting to do Law at uni ) Watch

AJ1NS
Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I was thinking of doing law at uni and i've been researching a lot on what i should and shouldn't take and if it's worth it blah blah blah all that usual stuff panicking students do. So I thought about taking History/Eng Lit/Law/ possibly Politics or just a throwaway subject that i'd enjoy like film studies.

I saw a lot of people who've done law at uni and they all said that instead of taking law at a-level i should just choose the subjects needed for it at uni (eng lit/his/politics/sociology etc) and i mean it makes sense: most of the a level stuff won't be useful for all the other stuff you're gonna do at uni ?

Also just the fact that i'm taking so many academic/writing-heavy and reading-heavy subjects, so even if i don't do a level law i could still do it at uni with the necessary subjects i've chosen. I could save myself a lot of trouble i guess, a lot of people told me that studying a level law requires a really good memory and dedication because there's so much you have to memorise (terminology wise and other) and it's not that i'm not willing to work for it but if i'm going to do it all at uni i mean is it really worth it? I don't think that taking a level law really has any effects on you when you do an undergraduate/ just a normal degree in law at uni.

Either way if anyone has some insight please tell me !! Just wanted to collect some more info before i solidify my choices at my law appointment before college starts.
ln._.xn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I do think what you’ve been told is absolutely true- there’s no point in taking law at A levels and you should most definitely choose subjects like eng lit and history instead. There’s this list of subjects that unis prefer and don’t prefer, and it would be recommended that at least 2 (if not all 3) of your subject choices come from the preferred list. Subjects on the “not preferred” list would be like law, politics, film studies, etc.

tl;dr there’s no point taking law at a-levels as unis don’t want it and it is a very tedious subject. You’re much better off taking another traditional subject (eg maths, sciences, languages) or a subject you prefer (like film studies as you’ve mentioned).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AJ1NS
(Original post by sidneyylim)
I do think what you’ve been told is absolutely true- there’s no point in taking law at A levels and you should most definitely choose subjects like eng lit and history instead. There’s this list of subjects that unis prefer and don’t prefer, and it would be recommended that at least 2 (if not all 3) of your subject choices come from the preferred list. Subjects on the “not preferred” list would be like law, politics, film studies, etc.

tl;dr there’s no point taking law at a-levels as unis don’t want it and it is a very tedious subject. You’re much better off taking another traditional subject (eg maths, sciences, languages) or a subject you prefer (like film studies as you’ve mentioned).
Thank you for such a quick response OTL I feel like a lot of unis would want a clean slate for people who are studying law as well because a lot of people who've took a level law weren't that much ahead of everyone else when they took it at uni, either way i'm glad i don't necessarily have to have it at a level :')

I definitely want to do history+english lit i was thinking if not law then many as a third (and possibly fourth) something like eng lan/psychology/sociology ? the only reason i'd see to do psychology is if i want to lean towards a law + criminology degree but i suppose psychology/sociology do help in the way that in both subjects they study people who've committed crime or at least mention it if it's not heavily focused on.
ln._.xn
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AJ1NS)
Thank you for such a quick response OTL I feel like a lot of unis would want a clean slate for people who are studying law as well because a lot of people who've took a level law weren't that much ahead of everyone else when they took it at uni, either way i'm glad i don't necessarily have to have it at a level :')

I definitely want to do history+english lit i was thinking if not law then many as a third (and possibly fourth) something like eng lan/psychology/sociology ? the only reason i'd see to do psychology is if i want to lean towards a law + criminology degree but i suppose psychology/sociology do help in the way that in both subjects they study people who've committed crime or at least mention it if it's not heavily focused on.
Psychology and sociology sound like really great choices, and really complimentary to a law degree as well. I’d advise against eng lan as you’ll have eng lit and they can be considered to be a single subject as they’re quite similar.
NevrLucky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Don't do a law degree, do something your actually interested in and then do a law conversion course. Law firms prefer this
AJ1NS
Psychology and sociology sound like really great choices, and really complimentary to a law degree as well. I’d advise against eng lan as you’ll have eng lit and they can be considered to be a single subject as they’re quite similar.
Oh okay, i see, so i suppose history/english lit/psychology/sociology would be the best combination? and then i could drop either psychology or sociology in my second year?
AJ1NS
(Original post by NevrLucky)
Don't do a law degree, do something your actually interested in and then do a law conversion course. Law firms prefer this
Does it matter which degree i do before the law conversion course ? E.g I do a history degree or something of the like in that subject?
saleeemmm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AJ1NS)
Oh okay, i see, so i suppose history/english lit/psychology/sociology would be the best combination? and then i could drop either psychology or sociology in my second year?
That's a great combination of subjects! I think 4 is a heavy workload, but if you can handle it, go for it. A lot of my friends take Psychology and Sociology together and they love it!
AJ1NS
(Original post by saleeemmm)
That's a great combination of subjects! I think 4 is a heavy workload, but if you can handle it, go for it. A lot of my friends take Psychology and Sociology together and they love it!
I think i can handle the workload, mostly because i love these subjects and also just the fact that i'm not the type of person who needs to be around other people if that makes sense ? Like hanging out at weekends, i'd rather be inside and catch up on all the work i had throughout the weeks :'')
A few people said to me that they're pretty similar but i don't think it matters much if i'm going to drop one in my second year to lighten the workload.

I hope that the combo is one that allows me more options at uni as well just in-case i change my mind about law in the future.
ln._.xn
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AJ1NS)
I think that’s a fantastic combination of subjects, and it’ll really make you a strong applicant for law. However it might limit you a bit with your options as maths/science/some economics and business courses would require maths. But if you’re interested in the humanities and a humanities degree should law not work out those subjects will be absolutely perfect x
AJ1NS
I think that’s a fantastic combination of subjects, and it’ll really make you a strong applicant for law. However it might limit you a bit with your options as maths/science/some economics and business courses would require maths. But if you’re interested in the humanities and a humanities degree should law not work out those subjects will be absolutely perfect x
I'm afraid i'm not too good at maths, i mean i did get a later start because we moved out to the UK and had to skip a few grades and learning maths whilst i didn't even understand english was pretty hard so if i retake maths to get a better score i might change my options :'' but for now i think i'll stick with these since i lean a bit towards humanities anyway.

Thank you OTL
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Would they accept a candidate with a so-called Mickey Mouse subject such as Creative Writing? I'm guessing they wouldn't right
anonymous1231231
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
lool this isn't true at all
AJ1NS
Update: realised that my college doesn't offer sociology anymore for some reason :/ I have no clue what i'd have as a fourth subject but i suppose that i don't exactly need a fourth subject so i might just stick with my three (eng lit/psych/history)
Theworriedbanana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would suggest that you do two academic written subjects and one subject that you enjoy to balance it out. Most universities ask for at least two traditional subject a levels for LLB. E.g History, English and then psychology/sociology.
AJ1NS
(Original post by Theworriedbanana)
I would suggest that you do two academic written subjects and one subject that you enjoy to balance it out. Most universities ask for at least two traditional subject a levels for LLB. E.g History, English and then psychology/sociology.
Ah okay, i see ! thanks :')
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (116)
17.63%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (115)
17.48%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.74%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.57%
How can I be the best version of myself? (197)
29.94%

Watched Threads