Mumplum73
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey.
Can someone please help me with a question?
Background
I have a pretty clever daughter. She’s great at maths and loves it. She was offered a place with a top uni - similar to Oxford 😜 however due to various reasons turned the offer down as it wasn’t the right time for her .
She’s doing a 3 year bachelors at a RG uni and going into her second year.
Her next plan is a PHD however she does not want to swap to a masters on her current course as it means she has to drop her language - she is majoring in maths with a minor in mandarin.....
After a little research we believe that it would be possible to apply to do a DPhil with Oxford so long as she gets a first in her current uni course?
If she is eligible would she need to apply next year 2019?
Hope this makes sense!
Can someone please help a mum with no idea 😜
Thank you x
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's possible to go into a doctoral course without a master's, and the only way to really find out is to apply.

But I wouldn't expect to be accepted. Oxford is somewhere where you can still master's students who already hold other master's degrees and even doctorates.
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mumplum73)
Hey.
Can someone please help me with a question?
Background
I have a pretty clever daughter. She’s great at maths and loves it. She was offered a place with a top uni - similar to Oxford 😜 however due to various reasons turned the offer down as it wasn’t the right time for her .
She’s doing a 3 year bachelors at a RG uni and going into her second year.
Her next plan is a PHD however she does not want to swap to a masters on her current course as it means she has to drop her language - she is majoring in maths with a minor in mandarin.....
After a little research we believe that it would be possible to apply to do a DPhil with Oxford so long as she gets a first in her current uni course?
If she is eligible would she need to apply next year 2019?
Hope this makes sense!
Can someone please help a mum with no idea 😜
Thank you x

"Applicants are normally expected to be predicted or have achieved a first-class undergraduate degree with honours (or equivalent international qualifications), as a minimum, in mathematics or a related discipline." - Oxford course webpage on DPhil in Mathematics

"A previous master's degree is not required, though the requirement for a first-class undergraduate degree with honours can be alternatively demonstrated by strong performance in a master's degree." - Oxford course webpage on DPhil in Mathematics

From reading the course entry requirements on the University's website it means she is eligible and won't need a master's degree. If she wants to start the DPhil in 2019 then yes she will have to apply when applications open on 3rd September 2018.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.64%
I'm not sure (40)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.08%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (425)
48.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise