The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Chances of getting into LSE with AAA

How much of a chance do I have (for courses requiring AAB/AAA).

These are grades already achieved

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE have many applicants who meet their grade requirements and even surpass it, so I believe your chance will depend a lot more on your GCSEs, references and personal statement rather than your grades.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by sidneyylim
LSE have many applicants who meet their grade requirements and even surpass it, so I believe your chance will depend a lot more on your GCSEs, references and personal statement rather than your grades.

I have 9 A*s and 3 As at GCSE
Reply 3
Thanks, I'm taking a gap year to boost my application
Reply 4
Original post by Zaporizhia
I have 9 A*s and 3 As at GCSE

Those are stellar grades and your A level grades also certainly meet the mark. Up to this point I see no reason for LSE not to give you an offer however they will still look at your references and personal statement so do make sure those are as good as your grades and you should be set!
Reply 5
Original post by sidneyylim
Those are stellar grades and your A level grades also certainly meet the mark. Up to this point I see no reason for LSE not to give you an offer however they will still look at your references and personal statement so do make sure those are as good as your grades and you should be set!

Thanks for the reassurance!
As mentioned, great GCSE and since you already achieved the AAA requirement so you could be at an advantage. Down to PS and references. Cant make any obvious errors whether in grammar or saying some technical term wrong. That would automatically screw you,
you could get your ex-(english)teacher to help you, if you liked her/him. Thats what im doing.
Reply 7
Original post by SomMC1
Which course in particular are you considering? I havent seen that many with AAB requirement! Maybe I missed a few:redface:

There are one or two, language, culture and society require AAB, and quite a few courses (I'd say around a third) require AAA. I'm interested in the international relations course
Reply 8
Original post by SomMC1
As mentioned, great GCSE and since you already achieved the AAA requirement so you could be at an advantage. Down to PS and references. Cant make any obvious errors whether in grammar or saying some technical term wrong. That would automatically screw you,
you could get your ex-(english)teacher to help you, if you liked her/him. Thats what im doing.

Good idea. I also didn't mention that I got an E in one of my A levels, I feel this will disadvantage me somewhat. Could this be a reason to reject me? Thanks again
Reply 9
Original post by SomMC1
AHhh yes I never looked at those language culture courses! AAA is the most typical offer in my eyes, unless it's something to do with economics or maths in which case it gets to A*AA with A* in maths.

So wait, you got AAAE? Or you got an E and then retook the A level? Depending on what it was, it could disadvantage you imo.

No I just got an E in one of my A levels, which I can't retake as it was the last year before the new linear system.
No I just got an E in one of my A levels, which I can't retake as it was the last year before the new linear system.

So you got AAAE?
Original post by SomMC1
So you got AAAE?

Yeah, I thought it won't be a problem as they ask for 3 A levels, but you think this could disadvantage me?
Yeah, I thought it won't be a problem as they ask for 3 A levels, but you think this could disadvantage me?

But I dont think it works like that.

I could just take 5 A levels and see where Im naturally good and get 3 As and the rest Es and Us. You should call them up and actually check with an admissions person. They give offers based on 3 usually. The only case where they take into account a fourth one is with FM. But since you actually got 4 results and it's not a B or something similar, idk if it'll cause issues. Maybe it will but maybe not. Im not exactly sure.
What subject was it in btw?
Original post by SomMC1
What subject was it in btw?

It was in maths, which isn't required for any of the courses I'd apply for. The other three A levels I took are all listed on the recommended subject combinations on the LSE website
There are one or two, language, culture and society require AAB, and quite a few courses (I'd say around a third) require AAA. I'm interested in the international relations course

It's worth bearing in mind IR is one of their most popular (and hence competitive) courses, after their Economics suite and Law. Along with the E in the 4th A-level, it's technically possible but you would need an outstanding personal statement alongside that to be a real consideration.
Original post by artful_lounger
It's worth bearing in mind IR is one of their most popular (and hence competitive) courses, after their Economics suite and Law. Along with the E in the 4th A-level, it's technically possible but you would need an outstanding personal statement alongside that to be a real consideration.

LSE usually gives offers for 3 A levels, unless it's FM as far as I know. But the fact he got an E in maths will probably make an impact on their decision, right?
Original post by SomMC1
LSE usually gives offers for 3 A levels, unless it's FM as far as I know. But the fact he got an E in maths will probably make an impact on their decision, right?

Yes, but it is at their discretion to consider additional A-level grades. One of many reasons it's inadvisable to take 4 (full) A-levels unless two are Maths and FM, because it can easily end up working against you...
Original post by SomMC1
LSE really likes their maths regardless of what it is; even for Accounting and Finance Maths at A level is not required but recommended and everyone knows it's necessary. Getting that grade in maths is not good at all tbh. But double check with admissions

It's not for international relations or their language-related degrees. In fact, it even states that those who have done maths and further maths would be at a disadvantage
Original post by artful_lounger

Is it necessary to enter this grade on UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest