essvee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do I successfully defer my place from clearing in order to carry out arrangements already made for gap year? How will the offer of a place at University confirm and show acceptance that I have a place after the gap year and how will all this be reflected in UCAS etc.?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by essvee)
How do I successfully defer my place from clearing in order to carry out arrangements already made for gap year? How will the offer of a place at University confirm and show acceptance that I have a place after the gap year and how will all this be reflected in UCAS etc.?
For the first question you need to ring the uni in question to see if they will accept that. No idea what it shows in ucas
essvee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
For the first question you need to ring the uni in question to see if they will accept that. No idea what it shows in ucas

Thanks. Have had few calls to the Uni that provided the clearing offer..
Unfortunately so far not been straight forward..
a* On Initial call to the Uni that provided the clearing offer I was informed that I could defer after accepting their offer
b* Relinquished unconditional offer from my insurance uni (with possibility to defer for gap year though not offering preferred course) to accept clearing place from Uni offering preferred course
b* After accepting clearing place and making follow up calls to the Uni I find that contrary to my initial call to the Uni, I am being told that deferral of that offer would not be possible...Moreover that an option would be to apply via UCAS for that same Uni in a few months for 2019 intake.
I have an offer for 2018 with the Uni and not sure whether there are additional actions/efforts I can take to successfully realise my gap year objective..
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks. Have had few calls to the Uni that provided the clearing offer..
Unfortunately so far not been straight forward..
a* On Initial call to the Uni that provided the clearing offer I was informed that I could defer after accepting their offer
b* Relinquished unconditional offer from my insurance uni (with possibility to defer for gap year though not offering preferred course) to accept clearing place from Uni offering preferred course
b* After accepting clearing place and making follow up calls to the Uni I find that contrary to my initial call to the Uni, I am being told that deferral of that offer would not be possible...Moreover that an option would be to apply via UCAS for that same Uni in a few months for 2019 intake.
I have an offer for 2018 with the Uni and not sure whether there are additional actions/efforts I can take to successfully realise my gap year objective..
Have you got it in writing that they said you could defer? If you meet their typical offer you could always look to apply next cycle and have potentially more choices open to you as well
essvee
Rep:
?
Thanks and appreciated ... Unfortunately no did not get deferral it in writing before going ahead to relinquish my insurance university offer and take up the clearing offer from that uni..I only had the earlier email from the uni providing me with the clearing university offer . Moreover I did not note down the name of the person I spoke to early on, that mentioned I could defer... Applying next cycle would essentially mean I start afresh in the application process without an offer in hand (giving up my current clearing offer and therefore being 'empty handed' university offer wise).. I am still keen to know details (i.e.
essvee
Rep:
?
Unfortunately no did not get deferral it in writing before going ahead to relinquish my insurance university offer and take up the clearing offer from that uni..I only had the earlier email from the uni providing me with the clearing university offer . Moreover I did not note down the name of the person I spoke to early on, that mentioned I could defer... Applying next cycle would essentially mean I start afresh in the application process without an offer in hand (giving up my current clearing offer and therefore being 'empty handed' university offer wise)..
I am still keen to know details (i.e. "who", "what", "where", "how", "when") about how I can successfully secure the deferral of the clearing university offer.. i.e. sorry to refer back to the questions I raised at the beginning of the thread. So far, I have been following up with the clearing uni still making efforts to pursue my case..
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately no did not get deferral it in writing before going ahead to relinquish my insurance university offer and take up the clearing offer from that uni..I only had the earlier email from the uni providing me with the clearing university offer . Moreover I did not note down the name of the person I spoke to early on, that mentioned I could defer... Applying next cycle would essentially mean I start afresh in the application process without an offer in hand (giving up my current clearing offer and therefore being 'empty handed' university offer wise)..
I am still keen to know details (i.e. "who", "what", "where", "how", "when") about how I can successfully secure the deferral of the clearing university offer.. i.e. sorry to refer back to the questions I raised at the beginning of the thread. So far, I have been following up with the clearing uni still making efforts to pursue my case..
Unis don't have to let you defer in clearing, so I'm not sure there is a way to guarantee that happening I'm afraid
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
7.69%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.77%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
46.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (12)
23.08%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads