username4213698
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm currently an American high school senior who'd like to apply to King's College London. Course is politics.

AP Test Scores: Two 4s and Four 3s
4: AP Macro and AP Research
3: AP Calculus AB, AP US History, AP World, AP Seminar

GPA: 3.63 Unweighted, 4.1 Weighted (4.3-4.4 in junior year)
SAT: 1290 (630 Reading and 660 Math)
SAT Subject Tests: None (yet). Taking Math II and US History
Academic Awards: AP Capstone Diploma (IB Diploma Rival)

Currently speaking, do I have a chance at KCL or should I do well on the Subject Tests?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1029)
Hi, I'm currently an American high school senior who'd like to apply to King's College London. Course is politics.

Currently speaking, do I have a chance at KCL or should I do well on the Subject Tests?
None of us here know what these grades mean - you if they are good grades you do stand a chance. It may sound mean but they want your money and politics is in clearing at the moment.

Kings is a good university though and London is a fab city
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Are you applying this year or right now? As mentioned Kings as a lot of courses in clearing.

The living is really expensive in London; Warwick is ~1.5 up to 3x cheaper than London (worth considering) Good luck though
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago

GPA doesn't really matter and Capstone Diploma doesn't matter afaik. You need at least a 1380 in SAT 1 (English at least 640 and Maths at least 300) so you don't meet that requirement. You also need 3 5s in AP or 650+ in Subject Tests. To meet the minimum entry requirements, you would need to retake the SAT 1 asap plus get predicted for 3 5s, 2 5s plus one SAT 2 subject at 650+ , or 1 5 plus two SAT 2 subject tests at 650+. Currently since you don't meet the requirements for the course... I would say your chances aren't really high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username4213698
Rep:
?
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
GPA doesn't really matter and Capstone Diploma doesn't matter afaik. You need at least a 1380 in SAT 1 (English at least 640 and Maths at least 300) so you don't meet that requirement. You also need 3 5s in AP or 650+ in Subject Tests. To meet the minimum entry requirements, you would need to retake the SAT 1 asap plus get predicted for 3 5s, 2 5s plus one SAT 2 subject at 650+ , or 1 5 plus two SAT 2 subject tests at 650+. Currently since you don't meet the requirements for the course... I would say your chances aren't really high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also taking the ACT too.
Well, good move for me for taking the SAT Subject Tests. Hopefully I get 720+ on both.

Sucks that the Capstone Diploma is ignored, considering that the IB Diploma is a different story.

By the way, wolfmoon88, where's link to all the information you mentioned? Like, there is a minimum bar for KCL regarding GPA, saying something about a 3.2/4 at minimum. There's a PDF of that...

Wait, if I get 720+ on the my two subject tests, could that turn the leaf? Do they allow combining AP and SAT-S?
username4213698
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
Are you applying this year or right now? As mentioned Kings as a lot of courses in clearing.

The living is really expensive in London; Warwick is ~1.5 up to 3x cheaper than London (worth considering) Good luck though
This year. It's still summer.
wolfmoon88
Report 2 years ago
I'm also taking the ACT too.
Well, good move for me for taking the SAT Subject Tests. Hopefully I get 650+ on both.

Sucks that the Capstone Diploma is ignored, considering that the IB Diploma is a different story.
As a person with negative experiences with the capstone diploma... no comment.

Do well on the ACT and SAT 2 subject tests... then should be okay, also need to get predicted a 5 in APs preferably relevant subjects
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This year. It's still summer.
Well yes but i thought maybe you have applied but are going through clearing or something. I understand though
username4213698
Rep:
?
As a person with negative experiences with the capstone diploma... no comment.

Do well on the ACT and SAT 2 subject tests... then should be okay, also need to get predicted a 5 in APs preferably relevant subjects
Well, you just motivated me to study harder for the ACT. Why is it a 29 is considered A*AA? Just wondering...

I can't combine subject tests and APs? EX: Take one of my 4s in my APs (likely Research) and get 720+ on the subject tests.

Not to sound hyper-hopeful, but does KCL look at senior year APs too? I'm taking AP Gov, Spanish, and Computer Science.

Sigh, I should've shot for the Certificate, then I could've gotten at least a small hand of 5s. Pro tip for prospective high school kids: don't go for 3 APs sophomore year and 4 APs junior year. Quality is much better than quantity.
wolfmoon88
Report 2 years ago
Well, you just motivated me to study harder for the ACT. Why is it a 29 is considered A*AA? Just wondering...

I can't combine subject tests and APs? EX: Take one of my 4s in my APs (likely Research) and get 720+ on the subject tests.

Not to sound hyper-hopeful, but does KCL look at senior year APs too? I'm taking AP Gov, Spanish, and Computer Science.

Sigh, I should've shot for the Certificate, then I could've gotten at least a small hand of 5s. Pro tip for prospective high school kids: don't go for 3 APs sophomore year and 4 APs junior year. Quality is much better than quantity.
Yes you can combine your Subject Tests and APs and yes they do look at Senior Year APs but you need to get predicted grades for them when you are applying. Honestly, do not know how they set the ACT/SAT requirements. Quality is definitely better than quantity :yep: taking APs early isn't always the best idea.
username4213698
Rep:
?
By the way, check out these too:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5527510
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3791929

It seems you are a trustworthy advisor. I do have an alternate in the situation that I take an L on the subject tests or ACT or something.Westminster's a decent alternative, correct?
wolfmoon88
Report 2 years ago
By the way, check out these too:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5527510
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3791929

It seems you are a trustworthy advisor. I do have an alternate in the situation that I take an L on the subject tests or ACT or something.Westminster's a decent alternative, correct?
Okay I do think with your grades, if you bring up the ACT score a tad bit; you can definitely into a better university than Westminster. As a choice on your application, no it wouldn't be a bad choice. (you get to pick 5 universities on UCAS) A lot of Americans do enjoy going to Westminster so I guess in terms of Alumni in America it's good. Plus it's in London so the location is great as well. Are you insistent on applying to universities in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IdLikeToHideTy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

My bf happens to be an american in KCL right now, going into his second year economics. The best thing to do is to call them up/talk to them directly as you can take alternate tests to boost your grades which is what he did despite being able to get into top colleges in america. They were pretty flexible and accomodating fro him as they gave him a few different options. If you need i can try get a bit more advice from him whenever he gets on, but being in america for the summer he's at an internship atm so i wont be able to get a response till hes back
username4213698
Rep:
?
Okay I do think with your grades, if you bring up the ACT score a tad bit; you can definitely into a better university than Westminster. As a choice on your application, no it wouldn't be a bad choice. (you get to pick 5 universities on UCAS) A lot of Americans do enjoy going to Westminster so I guess in terms of Alumni in America it's good. Plus it's in London so the location is great as well. Are you insistent on applying to universities in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To the dismay of my parents who insist anywhere new is dangerous, I'd like go international, and London is on my mind.
The way I have this set is #1 London is KCL, and the alternative is Westminster. Westminster looks very nice and I love the location. Although, I had concerns about it, but I guess since you're a trustworthy person, it's a decent alternative at best.

I heard KCL is on the Common App, but couldn't find it. Did they withdraw?
username4213698
Rep:
?
(Original post by IdLikeToHideTy)
My bf happens to be an american in KCL right now, going into his second year economics. The best thing to do is to call them up/talk to them directly as you can take alternate tests to boost your grades which is what he did despite being able to get into top colleges in america. They were pretty flexible and accomodating fro him as they gave him a few different options. If you need i can try get a bit more advice from him whenever he gets on, but being in america for the summer he's at an internship atm so i wont be able to get a response till hes back
What were these alternate tests? What were the options? Who is he?
Top colleges in America are a lot harder...
wolfmoon88
Report 2 years ago
To the dismay of my parents who insist anywhere new is dangerous, I'd like go international, and London is on my mind.
The way I have this set is #1 London is KCL, and the alternative is Westminster. Westminster looks very nice and I love the location. Although, I had concerns about it, but I guess since you're a trustworthy person, it's a decent alternative at best.

I heard KCL is on the Common App, but couldn't find it. Did they withdraw?
Kings were available in Common App for my year but I'm afraid they are not available on Common App anymore. Westminster is a decent alternative but I would encourage you to look at universities outside of London elsewhere in the United Kingdom, since Kings is not on Common App anymore, you'll need to apply through UCAS now, which is the UK version of Common App/Coalition App. On UCAS you can pick 5 choices for one fee (unlike the US where you need to pay per application to a college. There are other unis in the UK that are great for your course and having more offers on the table is a good idea.
IdLikeToHideTy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dont know all the details off the top of my head as this was a year ago now. However, there was some test which was only required for if he went into economics (which he did) or buisness side of things, so i doubt it would entirely relate to you - of which he did outside of school as an external thing to help. The best thing i can recomend though is to contact KCL themselves! Not only does it get your name recognised, but it gets you better answeres since only they know what they want of you. My Bf mentioned how getting in they seemed to require some stuff that was disproportionatly higher, and the alternative super low, so I think there is a bit of confusion between the equiverlents of your grades in high school in comparison to ours.

cant remember the name of the college he was offered a place at - wasnt ivy league or anything but was still pretty high up there in terms of difficulty to get in. Also saying who he is wont change much since you probably wont know him lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (602)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (742)
41.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.5%

Watched Threads