Shishkabobs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, just looking at the structure for my course and I have almost no unrestricted module choices. The research I want to do is interdisciplinary in nature, so I would like to take a class or two from a different faculty so I have some foundational knowledge in that area to build on.

As an international student, I don't know what the situation is at UK unis (Sheffield in particular). At my uni in Canada, I could audit as many classes as I wanted (i.e. just show up to the lectures, sit and listen, take notes, etc., but not do the assignments or take the tests). Some of the profs were even pleased when students would attend their lectures without being signed up because it meant they were interested.

Is this permitted? Encouraged? Frowned upon? Will anyone even notice?

Thanks in advance for any responses
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not encouraged.

But you can do it if the lecture is big enough; meaning they won't realise there's a spare if it's a 500 person lecture.
MichaMicha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn’t recommend that, you might get called on to discuss something they were set for assignment apart from anything else. Most lectures aren’t that big unless you’re in something like Engineering or Medicine.
Simbess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on the course - some lecturers like the idea of students going to the odd one or two of their lectures if they aren't their modules
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For big lectures (100+ people with 60-80+ in regular attendance) I would say it's ok, for anything smaller than that, or anything which isn't a lecture, ask the lecturer's permission first.

For some courses like MLT ones or ones in the hospital it will be a massive no. For something like Engineering or Biology you shouldn't have any problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (205)
23.51%
Pop (215)
24.66%
Jazz (33)
3.78%