Retaking A-Levels during a foundation year Watch

soggychips
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, I missed my Bristol computer science offer by a grade, but I was accepted by the university of Sheffield on a computer science course with a foundation year.

I don't want to study at the university and I really want to go to Bristol, so I want to retake. The thing is my parents will not let me retake A-Levels unless I go and do this foundation year.

I would be sitting probably 6 exams again to get better grades than this year. I have a few questions:
1. Would this be possible whilst doing the foundation year?
2. Would it matter if I don't do very well at Sheffield during my foundation year so I focus on my A-levels?
3. Can I still ask for a reference and predicted grades from my sixth form that I went to?
4. Would it be desirable to talk about the foundation year in my personal statement?

Thank you
ScrewTheExams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, sorry for not answering your question, I'm going through clearing too; what grades did you get? I also will study comp science (with maths though)

But in regards to your question, I'm not sure if retaking a levels is worth it if you're doing a foundation year, or are in a uni. It's either retake at a school again or do a foundation year. Don't forget you have to pay for the foundation year like a normal uni course year.

Also after you pass the foundation year you will be able to study the full Bsc course at the uni, or another one perhaps. I dont see the point in retaking a levels when doing a foundation year.
peanutbutterjam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've known people to do foundation year at one uni and transfer to another uni once they've completed it. Maybe that's something you could possibly do?
soggychips
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScrewTheExams)
Hey, sorry for not answering your question, I'm going through clearing too; what grades did you get? I also will study comp science (with maths though)

But in regards to your question, I'm not sure if retaking a levels is worth it if you're doing a foundation year, or are in a uni. It's either retake at a school again or do a foundation year. Don't forget you have to pay for the foundation year like a normal uni course year.

Also after you pass the foundation year you will be able to study the full Bsc course at the uni, or another one perhaps. I dont see the point in retaking a levels when doing a foundation year.
I got ABB in maths, further maths and chemistry. Where will you study? I don't really mind the extra money, I'll have student finance - I know you have to pay this back, but I'm not that worried.
(Original post by peanutbutterjam)
I've known people to do foundation year at one uni and transfer to another uni once they've completed it. Maybe that's something you could possibly do?
I can probably do that, but I'm worried that Bristol won't take me, because I'll have ABB and still not meet their entry requirements (I got a contextual offer so it was AAB, but their standard is A*AA, which might even be higher next year)
peanutbutterjam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by soggychips)
I got ABB in maths, further maths and chemistry. Where will you study? I don't really mind the extra money, I'll have student finance - I know you have to pay this back, but I'm not that worried.

I can probably do that, but I'm worried that Bristol won't take me, because I'll have ABB and still not meet their entry requirements (I got a contextual offer so it was AAB, but their standard is A*AA, which might even be higher next year)
Did you ring up asking if they still had space on their course? I would have thought they'd still take you even if you did miss the offer by 1 grade...
ScrewTheExams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Have you not found any offers from good universities through clearing? Also did you try calling Bristol on Thursday morning asking them if they can take you?

I only got BBC, (BCE this year and I done one a level early in 2016 and got a B) and Exeter (12th and russel group) and a few unis ranked 7-10 in the UK, Like Loughborough, gave me an offer for Computer Science (or Computer Science with Maths). Lancaster are ranked 7th or 8th in the UK and they said they would've given me an offer if I had grades BBB or ABC, so I was one off. I didn't call Bristol but I know a friend in another school who got into Warwick with grades similar to mine for computer science when he called them around 8am on Thursday.

Best of luck to you though!
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all, I missed my Bristol computer science offer by a grade, but I was accepted by the university of Sheffield on a computer science course with a foundation year.

I don't want to study at the university and I really want to go to Bristol, so I want to retake. The thing is my parents will not let me retake A-Levels unless I go and do this foundation year.

I would be sitting probably 6 exams again to get better grades than this year. I have a few questions:
2. Would it matter if I don't do very well at Sheffield during my foundation year so I focus on my A-levels?
3. Can I still ask for a reference and predicted grades from my sixth form that I went to?
4. Would it be desirable to talk about the foundation year in my personal statement?

Thank you
i do not think it's even possible to retake A levels and be a part of a foundation year at uni. I think you either do the foundation year and continue onto the Comp Sci at Sheffield, or transfer after foundation year or just concentrate on your retakes
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thank you
Contact Bristol ask if they ll take you just with a foundation year
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thank you

You can apply to transfer to a different university after your foundation or first year. You'd have to contact the universities you want to tranfer to, to ask about their entry requirement so you would have a good picture of what grades to aim for your uni exams.

The biggest problem with retaking A-level is that it may clash with your uni exams, and you may not have the time to revise for it (especially since you will have loads of exam and coursework for CS).
soggychips
Rep:
?
(Original post by peanutbutterjam)
Did you ring up asking if they still had space on their course? I would have thought they'd still take you even if you did miss the offer by 1 grade...
Yep I rang twice lol, they said they would only consider me if I got my exams remarked. I don't think it would have bumped my grades up so wouldn't have gotten a place anyway.
(Original post by ScrewTheExams)
Have you not found any offers from good universities through clearing? Also did you try calling Bristol on Thursday morning asking them if they can take you?

I only got BBC, (BCE this year and I done one a level early in 2016 and got a B) and Exeter (12th and russel group) and a few unis ranked 7-10 in the UK, Like Loughborough, gave me an offer for Computer Science (or Computer Science with Maths). Lancaster are ranked 7th or 8th in the UK and they said they would've given me an offer if I had grades BBB or ABC, so I was one off. I didn't call Bristol but I know a friend in another school who got into Warwick with grades similar to mine for computer science when he called them around 8am on Thursday.

Best of luck to you though!
I think I left my clearing calls too late which was an issue, so I only got Sheffield. Exeter considered me but then said they had no space on the course and everywhere else was full. I guess I'm quite lucky to have a course with a foundation year however, it might let me transfer to a better uni.
(Original post by SomMC1)
i do not think it's even possible to retake A levels and be a part of a foundation year at uni. I think you either do the foundation year and continue onto the Comp Sci at Sheffield, or transfer after foundation year or just concentrate on your retakes
I've booked an open day tomorrow with the department at Sheffield, so I shall ask them
(Original post by claireestelle)
Contact Bristol ask if they ll take you just with a foundation year
I'll do that when I get home, hopefully they will. I'll ring some other universities too, would it be best to get what they say in writing or would it not matter so much?
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep I rang twice lol, they said they would only consider me if I got my exams remarked. I don't think it would have bumped my grades up so wouldn't have gotten a place anyway.

I think I left my clearing calls too late which was an issue, so I only got Sheffield. Exeter considered me but then said they had no space on the course and everywhere else was full. I guess I'm quite lucky to have a course with a foundation year however, it might let me transfer to a better uni.

I've booked an open day tomorrow with the department at Sheffield, so I shall ask them

I'll do that when I get home, hopefully they will. I'll ring some other universities too, would it be best to get what they say in writing or would it not matter so much?
A verbal offer via a phone is enough. Just make sure you get her/his name and email address for future references. Alternatively you could ask them nicely to send you a confirming email that you are indeed having a verbal offer.
ScrewTheExams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Just out of interest when did you call Exeter? I called them yesterday at around 3-5pm (Don't remember exactly) and they gave me an offer.

Unlucky man! Maybe if you were informed to call the unis quickly you would have received a few good offers as your grades were really good and some of the top5-10 unis were looking for BBB / ABC grades for comp science through clearing.

All the best of luck to you though!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

it wouldnt do any harm to get it in an email
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (23)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
17.65%

Watched Threads