The Student Room Group

How to apply for dentistry?

So I got my AS results and I got ABB, I know I would need AAA at A level to get into dentistry. I'm thinking writing my personal statement for a completely different course this year and resitting my 2 Bs. Then come results day if I get AAA, I take a gap year and apply for dentistry.

Is this the best way or should I apply for Biomedical Science then do dentistry after, or should I look at options abroad.

Has anyone tried any of these options or what would you recommend?
Original post by GMKW
So I got my AS results and I got ABB, I know I would need AAA at A level to get into dentistry. I'm thinking writing my personal statement for a completely different course this year and resitting my 2 Bs. Then come results day if I get AAA, I take a gap year and apply for dentistry.

Is this the best way or should I apply for Biomedical Science then do dentistry after, or should I look at options abroad.

Has anyone tried any of these options or what would you recommend?

Your AS results are irrelevant as they no longer contribute towards A2. Get your teeth into a dentistry personal statement if that is what you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
Your AS results are irrelevant as they no longer contribute towards A2. Get your teeth into a dentistry personal statement if that is what you want to do.

I'm pretty sure in my school they still do , I'm in south wales
Original post by GMKW
I'm pretty sure in my school they still do , I'm in south wales

Ok. Yes, there is a different qualification system in Wales.
Will your teachers predict you AAA? If they will predict you the minimum that is needed to get into dentistry (or if you can persuade them to), then your AS results are fine.
Reply 5
unis don't care about your AS, no point wasting time resitting. research what dentistry schools you're thinking of but your AS grades are good so your teachers will probably predict you A*AA, focus on UCAS and research what dentistry unis are looking for in your application
Reply 6
Original post by ireti
unis don't care about your AS, no point wasting time resitting. research what dentistry schools you're thinking of but your AS grades are good so your teachers will probably predict you A*AA, focus on UCAS and research what dentistry unis are looking for in your application

I'm in south Wales so AS is half my a level so they're really important
Reply 7
I got ABBB in my AS levels, got AAA predicted and got into medicine straight from school :smile: I’m in wales too. good luck !
Reply 8
Original post by DrSum98
I got ABBB in my AS levels, got AAA predicted and got into medicine straight from school :smile: I’m in wales too. good luck !

Well done! Did you resit any papers? Or did you have to get a really high A grade to get an A overall?

Quick Reply

Latest