The Student Room Group

Opinions: gap year or back up?

Yesterday, unfortunately I did not get my grades to go to Liverpool to study medicine (offer was 3 As). I got ABB but in both of the Bs I was 1/2 marks from the A boundary so I have put them in for priority remarks.

I was offered by Liverpool to study their biomedical course with my grades but I am not sure if I should take this and try postgrad medicine or resit with my grades.

I really do not like the idea of a gap year as it is very risky but could potential be more beneficial than taking my back up at Liverpool. The reason why I am considering the back up is because I do really like the look of the modules, I love the city and my accommodation is already sorted.

Please give me your thoughts!
Wow, that is very unfortunate and I am genuinely feeling sorry for you...
Did Liverpool reject you? Did you tell them youre going onto priority remarks? You should let them know and maybe they will reserve the spot for you until you get the remarks back. EDIT: they will reserve your spot and honour your offer if successful remarks occur before 31st August

Even if you do not get any grades up, you will still have ABB and thus you could apply after a gap year to Liverpool Biomed and other unis which have the ABB requirement.

If given the possibility of getting into med after the remark, I'd rather wait it out. You can always apply with a gap year.

Post-grad med school is even harder than undergrad but anything is possible after all!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by uglyalien223
Yesterday, unfortunately I did not get my grades to go to Liverpool to study medicine (offer was 3 As). I got ABB but in both of the Bs I was 1/2 marks from the A boundary so I have put them in for priority remarks.

I was offered by Liverpool to study their biomedical course with my grades but I am not sure if I should take this and try postgrad medicine or resit with my grades.

I really do not like the idea of a gap year as it is very risky but could potential be more beneficial than taking my back up at Liverpool. The reason why I am considering the back up is because I do really like the look of the modules, I love the city and my accommodation is already sorted.

Please give me your thoughts!

They would honour your offer if your grades come up through the priority remark before August 31st. I would keep in contact with Bristol throughout the process. As @SomMC1 said: GEM is more competitive than UG Medicine to get into. While most medical schools don't really accept resits, I know that Sheffield has said that they'll start accepting applicants who resit, and I think there are others that also do so. Will mention for clarification. If medicine is really what you would like to do, I would seriously consider resitting and taking a gap year.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending