I didn't include a cover letter!!

Watch
anomalygirl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I recently applied for a job to be a barmaid at Wetherspoons through an online application, half way through it asked for your CV and under it said "Cover letter (optional)" and I didn't include one. I did include my CV and I do feel that everything in my CV would just have been copied into a cover letter as I feel they can be quite similar..

However, now I'm stressing over a job application and wondering "what if they turn me down because I didn't include a cover letter?"
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anomalygirl)
Well you effectively only made half an application. A CV is the straightforward, direct evidence you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. The covering letter is the persuasive argument explaining why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work at this organisation and why you'd be good at the job. No covering letter = no persuasion accompanying your evidence.
anomalygirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Well you effectively only made half an application. A CV is the straightforward, direct evidence you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. The covering letter is the persuasive argument explaining why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work at this organisation and why you'd be good at the job. No covering letter = no persuasion accompanying your evidence.
The cover letter was optional and I would most likely just be repeating myself from my CV but do you think I've blown the application?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The cover letter was optional and I would most likely just be repeating myself from my CV but do you think I've blown the application?
When employers say cover letters are optional it's because they are often so badly written they are just a complete waste of time.

If you wrote a decent covering letter you would not be repeating your CV, as described above.

I don't know anything about the quality of the other applications, but you made a substantially weaker application that you could have done, so you had better hope that the other applicants made the same mistake. The first one to write a covering letter is in a much stronger position.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above, if your cover letter is decent then it could make a difference. If it's weak or poorly written then you may as well just leave it out.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I recently applied for a job to be a barmaid at Wetherspoons through an online application, half way through it asked for your CV and under it said "Cover letter (optional)" and I didn't include one. I did include my CV and I do feel that everything in my CV would just have been copied into a cover letter as I feel they can be quite similar..

However, now I'm stressing over a job application and wondering "what if they turn me down because I didn't include a cover letter?"
Your CV and a covering letter should be very different. The CV lists your qualifications and the covering letter should go through the job description highlighting how you meet the required spec.
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need a covering letter.
anomalygirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Your CV and a covering letter should be very different. The CV lists your qualifications and the covering letter should go through the job description highlighting how you meet the required spec.
Yeah! I was always educated about CV's and my CV has my education, grades, soft skills, hard skills, achievements interests etc.. but I had never been educated about cover letters, only CV's.
Bit too late to change it now though, but I think I understand it a bit more now, thanks
anomalygirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by HGS345)
You don't need a covering letter.
Yeah it was optional and the CV wasn't optional but as I've not had a job before, I've realised not including a good cover letter might put my application closer to the bottom of the pile. My dad keeps telling me how difficult it is to get a job.
However, not all jobs have asked for cover letters.
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't stress over it. Your CV is the most important thing, and even then, many a times they just gloss over your CV, and only if they like it will they read further. Highly unlikely they'll look unfavorably upon you on the basis you didn't write a cover letter.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
However, not all jobs have asked for cover letters.
They don't ask for a cover letter, the convention is that a CV should always be accompanied by a cover letter, they are like inseparable, but non-identical twins.
anomalygirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
They don't ask for a cover letter, the convention is that a CV should always be accompanied by a cover letter, they are like inseparable, but non-identical twins.
Some online applications have a spot for CV and/or cover letter whereas others only had an attachment for CV, but I understand the importance of including a cover letter now if I have the option to supply one
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some online applications have a spot for CV and/or cover letter whereas others only had an attachment for CV, but I understand the importance of including a cover letter now if I have the option to supply one
Yup, I'm not blaming or accusing - the way we talk about CVs is inexplicable. For example, we always talk about 'my CV' in the singular, whereas you need a new CV for nearly every application, you can easily have 10 CVs at once! We don't help ourselves

If an online application asks you to upload a CV and doesn't have a box on the form to answer why you want to do this job, then I'd put the CV and covering letter int he same document and upload it as a CV, but with the letter written on page 1 and the CV on page 2.
apple32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't worry about the covering letter. You are applying for a barmaid position. It's not that big of a deal. Optional is optional. Plus, as you've mentioned you don't have previous work experience so I don't know what you could have written in a covering letter that would have helped your application. If you have more work experience, then submit a covering letter. Otherwise, as someone else mentioned, a lot of entry-level covering letters usually do end up repeating what was already mentioned in the application which is a waste of time for the applicant to write and for the employer to look at.
anomalygirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by apple32)
I wouldn't worry about the covering letter. You are applying for a barmaid position. It's not that big of a deal. Optional is optional. Plus, as you've mentioned you don't have previous work experience so I don't know what you could have written in a covering letter that would have helped your application. If you have more work experience, then submit a covering letter. Otherwise, as someone else mentioned, a lot of entry-level covering letters usually do end up repeating what was already mentioned in the application which is a waste of time for the applicant to write and for the employer to look at.
Thank you for this comment, it's calmed me a bit haha! Obviously if I was going for my dream job I would do everything in my ability to revolve my CV and Cover letter around it.
But I'm just looking for a job to support me alongside my university studies but I am interested in barmaid work and I emphasise teamwork quite a bit throughout my CV, which on most sites I've been on, they seem to want people that have a good personality and can work well in a team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise