What storage do I need on a laptop for university? Watch

GLM26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m going to uni and need a new laptop. I’m not doing a course (like art and architecture etc) that needs large programmes or 3D software. I just need it for writing essays and writing up experiments. What storage would I need for the laptop? Would 128GB do or do I need 256GB?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GLM26)
I’m going to uni and need a new laptop. I’m not doing a course (like art and architecture etc) that needs large programmes or 3D software. I just need it for writing essays and writing up experiments. What storage would I need for the laptop? Would 128GB do or do I need 256GB?
If you're just going to write then the files you're saving won't be that big at all (there will be a size limit for the files you upload on turn it in), so having 128gb will be sufficient.

Also, you could always save them on a cloud storage like one drive, google drive which are free.
Last edited by kkboyk; 5 months ago
SyedHB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GLM26)
i mean 500gb laptops aren't even that expensive compared to a 128
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SyedHB)
i mean 500gb laptops aren't even that expensive compared to a 128
That depends. If you see a laptop with a 500GB HDD, it might be a similar price to a 128GB SSD. But the SSD will be drastically faster. The price difference between a 128GB SSD device and a 512GB SSD device will be similarly drastic.
SyedHB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Acsel)
That depends. If you see a laptop with a 500GB HDD, it might be a similar price to a 128GB SSD. But the SSD will be drastically faster. The price difference between a 128GB SSD device and a 512GB SSD device will be similarly drastic.
no need to get techy on me, for a student looking to take a few notes an ssd isn't really necessary

but hey
if you've got money, you've got money - i guess
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GLM26)
128GB is probably fine for you, assuming you only intend to use it for writing essays and not filling it with media.

To give an easy comparison, if you have a modern smartphone is probably has 32GB or 64GB of storage. I have a 64GB phone with a few thousand pictures, a few hundred songs and a handful of videos. It's using barely half it's storage, sat around 34GB free. A 128GB laptop has double the storage of my phone and a single image is equivalent to potentially dozens of essays.

So unless you've got lots of media, you don't need more than 128GB. Most people who do have lots of media will know themselves, since they need somewhere to store it. If you have a device already and can check what you're using then use that as an example, but the average degree will struggle to fill up a few gigabytes.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SyedHB)
no need to get techy on me, for a student looking to take a few notes an ssd isn't really necessary

but hey
if you've got money, you've got money - i guess
I'm not getting techy, I'm simply pointing out that the reason 500GB and 1TB laptops aren't expensive is because they're using different hardware.

Nobody inherently needs an SSD, they're just a nice thing to have and drastically improve the user experience, not to mention being far more robust. If you don't need lots of storage, I see no reason why you wouldn't get a device with an SSD. Especially since in most cases the 1TB HDD device and 128GB SSD device are the same price.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.28%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.44%
No, but I want to start (276)
37.45%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.02%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise