The Student Room Group

Macbeth Quotes

So I was hoping someone could help me out with analysing these quotes about the theme 'appearance vs reality' in Macbeth. I've got the basic analysis but I need some more deeper meaning thinking that will make my interpretation of the quote stand out...

'Theres no art to find the minds construction in the face' (act 1, scene 4)

'Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under't' (act 1, scene 5)

'And make our faces vizards to our hearts' (act 3, scene 2)
Ok so for 'Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under't' an immediate link would be to the story of Adam and Eve as it is an example of biblical imagery. From what I can remember of the story was that Eve ate the forbidden fruit from the tree and was deceived by the serpent. In this case Lady Macbeth and Macbeth are really the serpent whilst pretending to be innocent like Eve. You could also mention that in Shakespearean England the church was at the top of the chain of being and the concept of heaven and hell was particularly prominent in society with people being afraid to sin and risk being sent to hell in the afterlife. Therefore Shakespeare would want to use this biblical imagery to please King James (who he wrote Macbeth for) and to reiterate the themes in society at the time in the play. Another link would be that snakes are often seen as sly and deceptive creatures and predators, causing other animals to be wary of them, therefore if Macbeth acts like innocent prey then no one will suspect that he is in fact the predator in this scenario.

This was the quote that I did in most detail in class so I have quite a bit on it- hope this helps xx
Original post by I'mCookieMonster
Ok so for 'Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under't' an immediate link would be to the story of Adam and Eve as it is an example of biblical imagery. From what I can remember of the story was that Eve ate the forbidden fruit from the tree and was deceived by the serpent. In this case Lady Macbeth and Macbeth are really the serpent whilst pretending to be innocent like Eve. You could also mention that in Shakespearean England the church was at the top of the chain of being and the concept of heaven and hell was particularly prominent in society with people being afraid to sin and risk being sent to hell in the afterlife. Therefore Shakespeare would want to use this biblical imagery to please King James (who he wrote Macbeth for) and to reiterate the themes in society at the time in the play. Another link would be that snakes are often seen as sly and deceptive creatures and predators, causing other animals to be wary of them, therefore if Macbeth acts like innocent prey then no one will suspect that he is in fact the predator in this scenario.

This was the quote that I did in most detail in class so I have quite a bit on it- hope this helps xx

Thank you so so much! My teacher doesn't go through the quotes with us and expects us to do everything ourselves, but that really helped!
Original post by SK_N
So I was hoping someone could help me out with analysing these quotes about the theme 'appearance vs reality' in Macbeth. I've got the basic analysis but I need some more deeper meaning thinking that will make my interpretation of the quote stand out...

'Theres no art to find the minds construction in the face' (act 1, scene 4)

'Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under't' (act 1, scene 5)

'And make our faces vizards to our hearts' (act 3, scene 2)

1st quote) In this video Mr Bruff mentions and analyses this quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvPFez5fME&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cCMpq89C0yaU5scvuYiIKuL&index=8

2nd quote) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAzMZibA24&index=10&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cCMpq89C0yaU5scvuYiIKuL and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVUP-jbrrTM&index=58&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cCMpq89C0yaU5scvuYiIKuL
moving this to the english forum:smile: if you're making a thread about a specific subject, it's best to post in the specific subject forum as you're more likely to get quicker replies and ones of better quality as it's generally where the experts of said subject will hang about:yep:

for the first quote ("there's no art to find the mind construction in the face") i believe this quote could apply to several characters and not just macbeth's ambition. for example, lady macbeth is seen as the powerful one in the relationship before and following duncan's murder. yet notice the little things- like how she said she couldn't murder him because he resembled her father. how she slowly went insane with all the pent up guilt. she may have been authoritative for a particular amount of time, but her mentality shows how things built up over time but she kept up the façade.

the explanation could also be said for the third quote.
Original post by SK_N
Thank you so so much! My teacher doesn't go through the quotes with us and expects us to do everything ourselves, but that really helped!

Anytime- I have just finished the GCSE myself so the Macbeth quotes are still quite fresh in my mind, so if you need any other help analysing other themes I dont mind lending a hand xx
Can you help analyse "out, damned spot! out, I say...… all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand"
(edited 5 years ago)
So I think she says this in her soliloquy when she starts to go mad because of the guilt she feels. The perfumes of arabia bit literally means that she thinks her hands are so stained with blood that it won't disappear and could represent the guilt that she feels but you can link this to the beginning when she says 'a little water clears us of this deed' where she doesn't feel the guilt. You could say that this makes her weaker than she thinks because she isn't actually very powerful at all because her guilt has driven her insane.
Original post by ABCyoung
Can you help analyse "out, damned spot! out, I say...… all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand"
Thank you

Original post by Bluepanda1234
So I think she says this in her soliloquy when she starts to go mad because of the guilt she feels. The perfumes of arabia bit literally means that she thinks her hands are so stained with blood that it won't disappear and could represent the guilt that she feels but you can link this to the beginning when she says 'a little water clears us of this deed' where she doesn't feel the guilt. You could say that this makes her weaker than she thinks because she isn't actually very powerful at all because her guilt has driven her insane.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending