Speed camera paranoia

Watch
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok so I need to get this off my chest. Does anyone else absolutely sh*t themselves whenever they drive past a speed camera even when they are doing well under the limit? Earlier today I was driving in a 30mph zone and I saw the camera a mile off so I slowed down to about 28mph because a pedestrian crossed in front of me too but now for some reason I'm worried that I might have accelerated after the pedestrian crossed. I have no recollection of whether or not I did accelerate but the thought is stuck in my head and I'm really paranoid. I always do this to myself and nothing has ever come of it but I still can't get it out my head. I didn't see a flash but it was during the day. Is a flash still noticeable in daylight when it wasn't sunny?
GSedgley
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you would definitely have noticed the flash, I’ve seen them go off before when others have been speeding and you’d know if it was one (if that makes sense)
I get a little paranoid around them too, there’s one road near me that is a 40 but has speed cameras on, and it just feels wrong to do anything more than 30 past them even though it says 40 right next to the camera. So every time I go down that road I have to convince myself that it’s ok to do 40 haha
Just try not to think about it too much, you can’t change it now and second guessing yourself will just make you stressed, and just remember it in the future when you are tempted to put your foot down and go a bit too fast
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
(Original post by GSedgley)
I think you would definitely have noticed the flash, I’ve seen them go off before when others have been speeding and you’d know if it was one (if that makes sense)
I get a little paranoid around them too, there’s one road near me that is a 40 but has speed cameras on, and it just feels wrong to do anything more than 30 past them even though it says 40 right next to the camera. So every time I go down that road I have to convince myself that it’s ok to do 40 haha
Just try not to think about it too much, you can’t change it now and second guessing yourself will just make you stressed, and just remember it in the future when you are tempted to put your foot down and go a bit too fast
I know exactly what you mean haha. I have to convince myself that not every speed camera has a 30mph limit I start looking around for a speed limit sign to double check what the limit is even if I know it's 40mph. I know I'm just stressing myself out more but it's so annoying having to wait 2 weeks before finding out if I'm ok.
GSedgley
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The two week thing is a bit annoying, but at least after the two weeks you can relax and know that it’s ok
Do you have a sat nav? They tell you what the speed it is and warn you of cameras in advance, and if you are over the speed limit, which is good for places you don’t know very well, and can help you to get to know the speed limits better
I always have to double check, I drive my Mum mad saying “it is 40 right?” Every few minutes haha
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
The two week thing is a bit annoying, but at least after the two weeks you can relax and know that it’s ok
Do you have a sat nav? They tell you what the speed it is and warn you of cameras in advance, and if you are over the speed limit, which is good for places you don’t know very well, and can help you to get to know the speed limits better
I always have to double check, I drive my Mum mad saying “it is 40 right?” Every few minutes haha
We do have a TomTom that warns of cameras but I knew the camera was there anyway and as I got up to the camera I'm sure I was only doing about 30mph because I looked at my speedo but for some reason I'm worried I might have put my foot down a bit before clearing the white lines on the road even though I have no idea whether or not I did it's probably just my imagination. I live in Scotland and I read on the BBC that only 29% of cameras in Scotland even work. That's just 50 cameras in the whole of Scotland that actually work out of 173. I wish they'd remove the ones that don't work or at least inform the public so we don't get paranoid.
GSedgley
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s not a lot of speed cameras! I’m from near Bradford/Leeds so we have loads but I have no idea how many of them are working ones
I guess the non working ones are doing their job though, people will go past and think “oh no ive got a ticket now” and it will make them think twice in the future, like giving them a warning without an actual ticket

Keep your eye out for the cameras in vans at the side of the road, my dad spotted a camera sticking out of the window of a parked lorry (and his sat nav beeped for it as well) and it’s easy to accidentally let the speed creep up without realising it. That makes me paranoid haha every time I see a parked van on country roads I assume it’s a speed camera one!

I’m pretty sure you’d get 10% allowance anyway so you should be fine, and you’re probably remembering it differently because you keep replaying it in your head (I do that too haha)
But i guess it’s pretty normal to be a bit paranoid going past them even though you know for sure that you are within the speed limit, maybe they are supposed to make us feel like that so we aren’t tempted to speed on purpose haha
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
That’s not a lot of speed cameras! I’m from near Bradford/Leeds so we have loads but I have no idea how many of them are working ones
I guess the non working ones are doing their job though, people will go past and think “oh no ive got a ticket now” and it will make them think twice in the future, like giving them a warning without an actual ticket

Keep your eye out for the cameras in vans at the side of the road, my dad spotted a camera sticking out of the window of a parked lorry (and his sat nav beeped for it as well) and it’s easy to accidentally let the speed creep up without realising it. That makes me paranoid haha every time I see a parked van on country roads I assume it’s a speed camera one!

I’m pretty sure you’d get 10% allowance anyway so you should be fine, and you’re probably remembering it differently because you keep replaying it in your head (I do that too haha)
But i guess it’s pretty normal to be a bit paranoid going past them even though you know for sure that you are within the speed limit, maybe they are supposed to make us feel like that so we aren’t tempted to speed on purpose haha
Not sure about England but in the whole of the UK only 50% of cameras are working so it can't be much higher in England. The vans are the worst my dad got caught by one a few months ago he's almost 60 years old been driving for decades and that was the first time he was caught because a van clocked him doing 80mph on the motorway (like most people do.)

They give a 10% + 2mph allowance so in a 30mph zone the camera would only go off at 35mph and speedos read 1-2mph higher than actual speed too so your speedo would have to say about 36mph for you to set off a camera but like you said just putting a little bit of pressure on the pedal can make the car accelerate depending on the slope.
GSedgley
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wasn’t sure if all cameras gave you 10% or if it was just if it was a police vans etc
That’s unlucky for your dad, I bet loads were doing similar speeds at the same time as well
It’s annoying that we can get so anxious over whether we did one or two miles an hour over by accident, yet people that do ridiculous speeds never seem to get caught! I see people driving really badly all the time and I can’t help but hope they get caught before they cause an accident or something
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
They give a 10% + 2mph allowance so in a 30mph zone the camera would only go off at 35mph and speedos read 1-2mph higher than actual speed too so your speedo would have to say about 36mph for you to set off a camera
This is so inaccurate I don't know where to begin...

The ACPO guidelines of a 10% plus 2mph allowance are exactly that.. guidelines. Plenty of forces up and down the country operate on a zero tolerance attitude to speeding, so in theory they should prosecute at 31mph in a 30mph zone.

Cameras are required to have a certain tolerance, but it is not as high as the ACPO guidelines. Each force sets their cameras to catch an offence depending on their internal policy.

A speedometer doesn't simply read "1-2mph over" - it is a constantly changing discrepancy based on many many factors, especially speed.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure about England but in the whole of the UK only 50% of cameras are working so it can't be much higher in England. The vans are the worst my dad got caught by one a few months ago he's almost 60 years old been driving for decades and that was the first time he was caught because a van clocked him doing 80mph on the motorway (like most people do.)

They give a 10% + 2mph allowance so in a 30mph zone the camera would only go off at 35mph and speedos read 1-2mph higher than actual speed too so your speedo would have to say about 36mph for you to set off a camera but like you said just putting a little bit of pressure on the pedal can make the car accelerate depending on the slope.
They can legally fine you for 1mph over the speed limit. What you have said there is simply a guideline, which police forces can choose to stick to or not.

Do your research.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope because I have two eyes which enable me to see speed limits and cameras.
E: Technically I have 4.
maths42
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok so I need to get this off my chest. Does anyone else absolutely sh*t themselves whenever they drive past a speed camera even when they are doing well under the limit? Earlier today I was driving in a 30mph zone and I saw the camera a mile off so I slowed down to about 28mph because a pedestrian crossed in front of me too but now for some reason I'm worried that I might have accelerated after the pedestrian crossed. I have no recollection of whether or not I did accelerate but the thought is stuck in my head and I'm really paranoid. I always do this to myself and nothing has ever come of it but I still can't get it out my head. I didn't see a flash but it was during the day. Is a flash still noticeable in daylight when it wasn't sunny?
I need to get it off my chest that it's even worse for me when I'm in London as I'm worried to exceed 20 to pass them as there are so many roads with a 20 limit now! So even if I know the speed limit is 30 I slow down to 20 for the speed camera and if I know it's 20 I slow down to 15. What really drives me mad is they've recently put up extra 20 signs in some bits of London but then no 30 signs when you come out of the 20 limit so I end up staying at 20 and frantically trying to see the other side of speed limit signs in side roads for confirmation that it's ok to go at 30.

Also it really gets my goat when the screen says 40 or something on a variable speed limit motorway but then there's never a sign to confirm the speed limit is higher again but also never another 40 sign and no-one else is doing 40. I once slowed down to 40 about 30 miles after the 40 sign for a speed camera even though no one else was going so slowly as I didn't feel comfortable going faster when a higher speed limit had never been confirmed.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by maths42)
I need to get it off my chest that it's even worse for me when I'm in London as I'm worried to exceed 20 to pass them as there are so many roads with a 20 limit now! So even if I know the speed limit is 30 I slow down to 20 for the speed camera and if I know it's 20 I slow down to 15. What really drives me mad is they've recently put up extra 20 signs in some bits of London but then no 30 signs when you come out of the 20 limit so I end up staying at 20 and frantically trying to see the other side of speed limit signs in side roads for confirmation that it's ok to go at 30.

Also it really gets my goat when the screen says 40 or something on a variable speed limit motorway but then there's never a sign to confirm the speed limit is higher again but also never another 40 sign and no-one else is doing 40. I once slowed down to 40 about 30 miles after the 40 sign for a speed camera even though no one else was going so slowly as I didn't feel comfortable going faster when a higher speed limit had never been confirmed.
If the next gantry doesn't have a speed limit then the limit is 70.

Wait for two gantries to pass if you want to be super safe.
6lack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah tbh.. guessing you’ve been driving under 2 years meaning if you get caught twice, its game over... after the two years they cant do much. Anyway the flashes are obvious so doubtful.
maths42
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
If the next gantry doesn't have a speed limit then the limit is 70.

Wait for two gantries to pass if you want to be super safe.
Yeah I know but I still worry if I haven't seen solid evidence of the higher speed limit. I really think that they gantries should just display the national speed limit sign rather than nothing for clarity, I can't see what the benefit is of them not doing so.

Incidentally it's not completely related but I thought I'd mention that I had a near-miss due to a stupid temporary speed limit and no speed cameras - I was on a motorway which is normally NSL but there was a temporary speed limit of 40 and a blind corner in this section. I slowed down to 40 as it doesn't feel right to me not to follow the speed limit but of course because there were no speed cameras no one else did. Then just after the blind corner a lorry was suddenly approaching really fast behind me and honking - presumably the driver had ignored the 40 signs like everyone else and not imagined that someone might actually be obeying it. It really got my goat that he honked at me though when the near-miss was due to me doing the right thing and the lorry driver breaking the law! I suppose maybe the lorry driver just ignored the 40 signs without giving it a second thought and then thought why is this car going so slowly without linking the two things but presumably if the worst had happened and he had crashed into me and killed me, he could have gone to prison! I now find it really scary when there's a low speed limit like that and no speed cameras.
(Original post by 6lack)
Yeah tbh.. guessing you’ve been driving under 2 years meaning if you get caught twice, its game over... after the two years they cant do much. Anyway the flashes are obvious so doubtful.
I actually got my license 5 years ago but I feel as though if I ever got any points I'd be so stressed about getting more. My aunt once told me she was driving carefully because she had 9 points and I thought she really should have been more careful in the first place which is what I do.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I know but I still worry if I haven't seen solid evidence of the higher speed limit. I really think that they gantries should just display the national speed limit sign rather than nothing for clarity, I can't see what the benefit is of them not doing so.

Incidentally it's not completely related but I thought I'd mention that I had a near-miss due to a stupid temporary speed limit and no speed cameras - I was on a motorway which is normally NSL but there was a temporary speed limit of 40 and a blind corner in this section. I slowed down to 40 as it doesn't feel right to me not to follow the speed limit but of course because there were no speed cameras no one else did. Then just after the blind corner a lorry was suddenly approaching really fast behind me and honking - presumably the driver had ignored the 40 signs like everyone else and not imagined that someone might actually be obeying it. It really got my goat that he honked at me though when the near-miss was due to me doing the right thing and the lorry driver breaking the law! I suppose maybe the lorry driver just ignored the 40 signs without giving it a second thought and then thought why is this car going so slowly without linking the two things but presumably if the worst had happened and he had crashed into me and killed me, he could have gone to prison! I now find it really scary when there's a low speed limit like that and no speed cameras.

I actually got my license 5 years ago but I feel as though if I ever got any points I'd be so stressed about getting more. My aunt once told me she was driving carefully because she had 9 points and I thought she really should have been more careful in the first place which is what I do.
Drive to the conditions and flow of traffic. If literally everyone else is doing more than 40, including lorries, then do more than 40.

There comes a point when common sense must prevail over arbitrarily decided speed limits by a computer.
spanker
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have such an old car, I don't have to worry about it because my speedo registers anywhere from 3-8mph under my actual speed depending on how fast I'm going.

E.g Speedo registers 70, real speed is around 64ish (multiple speed registering devices used)

Thinking about it my car is my older than 80% of people on this forum..
Last edited by spanker; 2 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by spanker)
I have such an old car, I don't have to worry about it because my speedo registers anywhere from 3-8mph under my actual speed depending on how fast I'm going.

E.g Speedo registers 70, real speed is around 64ish (multiple speed registering devices used)

Thinking about it my car is my older than 80% of people on this forum..
That's nothing to do with the age of your car. Manufacturers specifically force the speedometer to overread.
maths42
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Drive to the conditions and flow of traffic. If literally everyone else is doing more than 40, including lorries, then do more than 40.

There comes a point when common sense must prevail over arbitrarily decided speed limits by a computer.
But in theory everyone else could get done for speeding! It wasn't a digital sign, it was physical ones. The question is why was literally everyone else speeding when the 40 signs were so obvious?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But in theory everyone else could get done for speeding! It wasn't a digital sign, it was physical ones. The question is why was literally everyone else speeding when the 40 signs were so obvious?
In theory, yes. In reality, no.

They simply chose to follow the flow of traffic. That's all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.16%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.32%
Live streaming events (51)
8.73%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.42%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.29%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.09%