Which harder to achieve A*AAA or A*A*A ? Watch

guy1729
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it the same amount of effort or is one harder?
In the sciences anyway.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

guy1729
Rep:
?
thanks in advance
Gus_4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A*AAA is considerably harder. Doing another course, whatever it is adds much more work load.
guy1729
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gus_4)
A*AAA is considerably harder. Doing another course, whatever it is adds much more work load.
Which would a uni rank higher?
Gus_4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on what the subjects are and whether the uni takes applicants based on UCAS points.
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by guy1729)
Unfortunately, they'd see A*A*A as the better set of grades although A*AAA is considerably harder. This is because most applicants to Uni have 3 A-Levels so they give out offers with 3-grade requirements. For someone with 4 A-Levels they would only look at your top 3 grades and ignore the other when results day comes along and they need to see if you have met their criteria.

This would mean that if the entry requirements were let's say A*AA then someone with A*AA would, of course, get in but someone with AAAA would not.

For this reason, if you are debating whether or not to do 4 or 3 A-Levels your probably better off with 3 but, there is a special circumstance where 4 would be better.

If let's say you are taking 3 A-Levels that you are taking coz they are relevant to your degree but you are not as strong in one and are worried you may not get an A* or A in it then take the 4th subject as one you excel in so if you do fail the one of your courses you have another to save you.

Hope this helps :P
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
A*A*A is better. Unis judge on 3 grades for the most part.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the sciences anyway.
I think it's easier to get just the A in 3 subjects and A* in a fourth, rather than 2 A*s and 1 A.

The difference between an A and an A* is huge big, whereas the difference from a C to an A is not as big.

Usually, say if Im wrong though, unis look at just three subjects and give you a offer based on 3 subjects so doing a fourth one potentially may not be as useful
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by S.H.Rahman)
Unfortunately, they'd see A*A*A as the better set of grades although A*AAA is considerably harder. This is because most applicants to Uni have 3 A-Levels so they give out offers with 3-grade requirements. For someone with 4 A-Levels they would only look at your top 3 grades and ignore the other when results day comes along and they need to see if you have met their criteria.

This would mean that if the entry requirements were let's say A*AA then someone with A*AA would, of course, get in but someone with AAAA would not.

For this reason, if you are debating whether or not to do 4 or 3 A-Levels your probably better off with 3 but, there is a special circumstance where 4 would be better.

If let's say you are taking 3 A-Levels that you are taking coz they are relevant to your degree but you are not as strong in one and are worried you may not get an A* or A in it then take the 4th subject as one you excel in so if you do fail the one of your courses you have another to save you.

I would agree with this
Francesco8801
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by S.H.Rahman)

I 100% agree
guy1729
Rep:
?
If A*A*B is equivalent to A*AA then surely A*AAA is equivalent to A*A*AB
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
I think it's easier to get just the A in 3 subjects and A* in a fourth, rather than 2 A*s and 1 A.

The difference between an A and an A* is huge big, whereas the difference from a C to an A is not as big.

Usually, say if Im wrong though, unis look at just three subjects and give you a offer based on 3 subjects so doing a fourth one potentially may not be as useful
why do you say that?
guy1729
Rep:
?
I would argue that A*AAA and A*A*A are roughly equivalent
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im not sure, i'd have to say it definitely looks better to achieve A*A*A as opposed to A*AAA, as at the end of the day, A*s are incredibly hard to achieve.

Whether one is harder or not is hard to say as no one has experience both sides, it's definitely harder to do a whole other subject but if the fourth is further maths then the workload isn't so much harder as it's directly linked with maths (speaking from experience), but as someone else said, the jump from an A to A* is so so huge.

but it is probably definite that A*A*A looks better to unis.
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the sciences anyway.
I think it depends on you and how you find the subjects you are taking. In someways if you can handle the workload then A*AAA could be considered easier than A*A*A simply because there may be more room for error on 3 of your A Levels whereas with A*A*A you need to do very well on 2 of them. But if you don't want too much workload then 3 A Levels is probably best to do.

Most unis will give out 3 A Level offers but in my case I got 4 A Level Offers from Cambridge and Imperial. Imperial actually had two standard offers for my course which were A*A*A if u did 3 A levels or A*AAA so I got the latter and personally I think that is a nicer offer than A*A*A (a lot of ppl would probably disagree).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (130)
13.5%
Excited (90)
9.35%
Worried (184)
19.11%
Terrified (217)
22.53%
Meh (73)
7.58%
Confused (26)
2.7%