Dissertation - Uni anxiety

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

I am in the middle of doing research for my dissertation and it is due to be handed in next year, but I am very anxious and keep self-doubting my work/plan. My supervisor has not been of any help as I have difficulty understanding what he means most of the times and is currently away so I cannot contact him and my mental health is deteriorating.

I am seriously worried about failing, and genuinely think failing it is a possibility.

Does anyone know what my options are if I do end up failing? I know resitting and resubmitting the dissertation is one. But if I fail the resit too, is it possible to transfer to the Open University with first and second year credits even and try to obtain a degree there by resitting third year even if I've failed third year?
Anonymous #1
bump
NomNoms
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey , if its handed in next year u got time , maybe when ur supervisors in, arrange a meeting so u could discuss it and ask him a million times if u want till, u understand .

and if all goes wrong
yes u can resit third year , and also it might be good to check how much the disseratation grade is worth of your overall degree .

good luck and dont doubt yourself ....you will do well
Anonymous #1
(Original post by NomNoms)
hey , if its handed in next year u got time , maybe when ur supervisors in, arrange a meeting so u could discuss it and ask him a million times if u want till, u understand .

and if all goes wrong
yes u can resit third year , and also it might be good to check how much the disseratation grade is worth of your overall degree .

good luck and dont doubt yourself ....you will do well
Thanks so much for the reply, yes I am just waiting for my supervisor so I can make sure I ask everything. I have always struggled with essay planning and writing, so doing a dissertation I really feel out of my depth.

Regarding the resit, do you mean I can resit the whole year at my current institution or at another one?

Also my dissertation is worth around 13 or 15% of my whole degree, but the thing is if I end up failing the dissertation I end up with an ordinary degree. From research it apparently is worth lower than a third class and im not sure I could get into anything with that lol.
PixlCrushr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

I am in the middle of doing research for my dissertation and it is due to be handed in next year, but I am very anxious and keep self-doubting my work/plan. My supervisor has not been of any help as I have difficulty understanding what he means most of the times and is currently away so I cannot contact him and my mental health is deteriorating.

I am seriously worried about failing, and genuinely think failing it is a possibility.

Does anyone know what my options are if I do end up failing? I know resitting and resubmitting the dissertation is one. But if I fail the resit too, is it possible to transfer to the Open University with first and second year credits even and try to obtain a degree there by resitting third year even if I've failed third year?
You're being ridiculous. Your first paragraph doesn't ask anything it just states how you 'feel' and with regards to that, pull yourself together. It is utterly inane to suggest you could think failing is possible when it is so far away. If it's a third year dissertation I'd assume it will be somewhere in the region of 8-15k words. Anybody (really anybody) who has completed their first two years can write that in 4 weeks (including research) to a pretty high quality and just get it done in 2.

When you DO ask questions they require information you did not provide - your course, department, and university. The department will have documented procedures for the scenarios you are describing so go ask them yourself.

That's just generation snowflake for you.
Anonymous #1
bump
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you have a pre-existing mental health condition, or a mental health diagnosis? If so, you should be able to register with your uni's disability service and get support from them for your mental wellbeing.

When you say your dissertation is to be handed in next year, is that next summer? If so, there is plenty of time and I fear you may be overthinking and doing what is known as catastrophising. Understandable to do this, but these thoughts won't help you at the end of the day :nah:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Do you have a pre-existing mental health condition, or a mental health diagnosis? If so, you should be able to register with your uni's disability service and get support from them for your mental wellbeing.

When you say your dissertation is to be handed in next year, is that next summer? If so, there is plenty of time and I fear you may be overthinking and doing what is known as catastrophising. Understandable to do this, but these thoughts won't help you at the end of the day :nah:
Hey thanks so much for your reply. And no I dont have any mental health condition that has been diagnosed currently, if things do get worse I will see my gp and contact my uni for counselling. Yes next summer around March and before April, I agree and i suppose I am catasrophising and overthinking, I know this but I cant help myself stop and keep thinking i am going to fail as im struggling right now.

Do you know whether resits are available at other institutions if you fail a degree in the third year?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey thanks so much for your reply. And no I dont have any mental health condition that has been diagnosed currently, if things do get worse I will see my gp and contact my uni for counselling. Yes next summer around March and before April, I agree and i suppose I am catasrophising and overthinking, I know this but I cant help myself stop and keep thinking i am going to fail as im struggling right now.

Do you know whether resits are available at other institutions if you fail a degree in the third year?
I'm afraid I've no idea about your last question. It def is hard to stop yourself from thinking these things but try and hang on in there if you can: there is still plenty of time. Rome wasn't built in a day :nah: And just because you're struggling now (in the summer, when your supervisor is away) doesn't mean that things will be like this when term starts again (I assume in about a month's time)? :nah:
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you doing a science or humanity-related dissertation?

You've done more dissertation work than I did when I was going into final year haha I also had no idea how to write essays, etc. since I did a science degree.

But my general advice would be to try and write up a draft version several weeks before the final deadline and ask your supervisor to go through it. That means they'll have time to mark it and you can edit it before submitting a final version. You could even one draft a section e.g. Method section and ask if your supervisor can go through it.
Another tip would be to contact any people in the year above (if you can) and ask them if they could give you advice.

Don't stress, I was also in your position (albeit in January/February time, not during summer aha). You have loads of time to write your dissertation. Even if you get a low score on your dissertation you can focus on your other modules to bump your overall grade up
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Wwys)
Are you doing a science or humanity-related dissertation?

You've done more dissertation work than I did when I was going into final year haha I also had no idea how to write essays, etc. since I did a science degree.

But my general advice would be to try and write up a draft version several weeks before the final deadline and ask your supervisor to go through it. That means they'll have time to mark it and you can edit it before submitting a final version. You could even one draft a section e.g. Method section and ask if your supervisor can go through it.
Another tip would be to contact any people in the year above (if you can) and ask them if they could give you advice.

Don't stress, I was also in your position (albeit in January/February time, not during summer aha). You have loads of time to write your dissertation. Even if you get a low score on your dissertation you can focus on your other modules to bump your overall grade up
My degree is humanity related and unfortunately I dont know anyone in the year above . And yeah i guess you are right but we are only allowed 5 contact hours with our supervisors.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I'm afraid I've no idea about your last question. It def is hard to stop yourself from thinking these things but try and hang on in there if you can: there is still plenty of time. Rome wasn't built in a day :nah: And just because you're struggling now (in the summer, when your supervisor is away) doesn't mean that things will be like this when term starts again (I assume in about a month's time)? :nah:
You are right .. I am trying to stop but my god university is so mentally taxing.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You are right .. I am trying to stop but my god university is so mentally taxing.
:jumphug: :sadnod: :console:
Anonymous #1
Anyone know about the resit situation? - Bump
Punk_Rock_Socks
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there!
I have struggled with mental health conditions (clinical depression and anxiety) for a few years now and I'll be in third year this september. My dissertation is due in December 7th this year (so of course I've started it). My advice to you would be, if you're struggling with your mental health, go and see someone now! A doctor, your student advisor, a tutor, a mentor, anyone. It's better to find help now than when you're having a complete breakdown later on in the year 3 days before a deadline, trust me, I speak from experience.
Also with the resits, you probably would be able to if you need to, but your grade might be capped. This is down to your university though so again you'll have to talk to someone there.
Do you know what you will write your dissertation on?
Hope this helps!
Aiviloblue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, it is really hard to move to another institution other than after your first year, even then its tricky at times. Think it depends on your course and examining board. Most Universities don't allow it as modules will have been different and they will need you to meet minimum requirements but! its worth enquiring as a friend of mine was offered to do his third year at a different uni if he met certain grades for a couple of their core modules. So if the modules are similar, you probably have a better chance. Though, it doesn't hurt to enquire, maybe ask them now to put your mind at peace.

You still have a while though, thing is with dissertation tutors etc it is a hit and miss, what happens if you fail, then go somewhere and fail again? Not because of others but because of your mental health, take the time until you see your tutor to take care of yourself, go see a gp, (I did terribly in my second year , not even a 2:1, because of mental health and kept ignoring the fact that it was that I was going through depression, kept blaming myself and other things but i got help, got medication,got a first the next year, and realised how much it affected me, my self esteem, my ability and work, it well help you think clearly and make the right decision, the quicker you sort it the better!) if you don't understand or are not getting help from your supervisor, talk to the head of year or head of dissertations or maybe even your personal tutor? and discuss your concerns, maybe try to get it changed if you really believe it is restricting you from doing your best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.33%
Uncertainty around my education (63)
11.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (65)
11.95%
Lack of purpose or motivation (71)
13.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (30)
5.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (25)
4.6%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (57)
10.48%
Financial worries (34)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (21)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (55)
10.11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (45)
8.27%

Watched Threads