funim
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I am going into Year 11.
With GCSE's upcoming currently I am just making notes from the GCSE textbook for each topic in History.
I do:
- Weimar and Nazi Germany
- The Cold War
- Anglo Saxons &Normans
- Medicine
However this is very time consuming. Therefore I was wondering if anyone had a more effective method that I should do instead of making notes, or is it worthwhile me making these notes? Additionally do I have to memorise ALL the facts within the textbooks?

Thank you so much,
I hope you have a great summer
Figureitout12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going into year 11 too and I do mind maps for every section of my textbook and events
Figureitout12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What exam board do you do?
FryOfTheMann
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My method for GCSE history (2016) was to look through the *small-ish* textbooks for the course and quickly bulletpoint a few key bits for each section. I think I ended up with a double-sided sheet of A4 bullet points for each unit. I took Protest, Law, and Order in the 20th Century, Germany 1914-1945, and Crime and Punishment in Britain c50AD to Present Day. I just looked briefly at the notes before the exams and managed to pass them all. Good luck to you!
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just finished the GCSE myself (I did The Cold War and Weimar as 2 of my topics too), personally making mind maps was a really effective method for me and I also made flash cards for each topic with key facts and events explained, (so for example for the cold war I had one flashcard for each of the doctrines and labelled on the back who made them and what they did for tensions etc...). Another method that I used was to make a cold war timeline with all of the events in order just so I would roughly know the order that everything happened as sometimes the questions ask for events that happened in the 1950s etc..

Best of luck for year 11- I hope this helped xx
Milesk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have just finished the first set of the new 9-1 gcse history papers and i can inform you as a student who was predicted an 8 the most efficient means of revising history is probably just reading the text book and making notes of dates and names. you wont be assed on the quantity of knowledge you have on the subject but on how well you can deliver a balanced informative argument. due to this, another tip i would give you is to question what your learning, for example half an hour before my exam my friend asked my group if we thought that the main reason hitler was able to obtain power within the weimar republic was due to the wall street crash. We debated for about 15 minuets until we realised that are exam was about to start and we should be getting in last second revision. Then miraculously the 24 mark question within are exam was exactly that and all my friends and i were able to deliver a fleshed out balanced answer using each others knowledge. so what i'm saying in conclusion is that you will probably be more successful with the history gcse if you talk to your peers about the content and have discussions whilst creating your own personal foundation of knowledge by reading the key events and learning some niche dates to make your argument/answer stand out
KimY5t
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've recently finished year 11 and history was one of my favourite subjects. I used Seneca to help me revise for the Weimar Germany/Nazi bits. Also I got an empty book and bullet pointed some basic but important information on each page about each topic, usually only a page or two per topic, with dates/statistics highlighted. This was really helpful at looking at the night before.

I also made a4 mindmaps and Word documents. Remember to always include dates whenever possible.
Remember to mention how a certain event impacted the future and society at the time. Time and continuity is important.

Constantly joking about historical figures/events made them easier to remember too.
funim
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Figureitout12)
What exam board do you do?
Edexcel
imi120403
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I find active recall quite useful. Meaning teaching myself a topic from the book. Closing it and then repeating it in different words from memory. You can do this on paper depending on your preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (8)
72.73%
No (1)
9.09%
Not sure (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads