The Student Room Group

Changing sixth forms and program, HELP!

BASICALLYYYYY, I'm a student taking the IB diploma program and I'm supposed to be going into year 13. I've realised that the program isn't really the best for me :frown: and my school is like an hour a half journey away so that's not helpful... Earlier this year, I felt horrible emotionally and I missed school 3-4 days out of the week, it was random (idk what caused it) and it continued for a couple of months towards the end of the academic year. I haven't actually gotten it checked out yet since I'm fine for now. So I've been thinking that if I go through those episodes again I'd probably not be able to juggle all six subjects :frown: and end up taking a big L.

So, I want to switch to A-levels. BUT, I'm not sure if it would have an effect on my application into medicine since i'd have to redo the year, eek! Though I haven't taken any formal exams. I'm also not sure how the application process works for students who aren't fresh out of GCSEs.

(P.S, how do you approach the whole situation of informing the school l that you're going elsewhere, I'm scared to say because I'm head boy :s-smilie: and I feel like I'm betraying them. haha)

THANKS!!!
Reply 1
Sounds like you got a lot going on! If you're not enjoying your IB then do A Levels instead. You haven't taken an exam yet so it wont effect your chances of doing medicine. Dont be worried about what your school think, they want you to get the best grades you can and if that means doing A Levels then they will support you.
Reply 2
Original post by Gus_4
Sounds like you got a lot going on! If you're not enjoying your IB then do A Levels instead. You haven't taken an exam yet so it wont effect your chances of doing medicine. Dont be worried about what your school think, they want you to get the best grades you can and if that means doing A Levels then they will support you.

Thank you! that helps me relax a lot more :smile:

Do you think I should tell them over the phone, in person or by e-mail?
Reply 3
Go in an speak to them. They will be able to clear up any questions you have about switching to A Levels

Quick Reply

Latest