Chemistry from a B to an A* new spec AQA Watch

theowinn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys so I recently got my results and I’m now enrolled at KCL to do economics. I want to give back to the community and see if anybody wants my help and to ask questions on how I scraped a B first time round, to getting 20 marks into an A* second year, it’s calm if not just a guy trying to help. Btw it was AQA New Spec
herfairytales
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HI!! PLEASE HELPim going into year 13 and would appreciate any recommended resources, tips, techniques, revision hours etc im also doing the new AQA specI WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL BLESS YOU
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what are your secrets!

(I got a C in chem AS - my worst result and I wanna turn it around to at least an A for medicine)

what did you change the second year in terms of studying, if anything?
theowinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by herfairytales)
HI!! PLEASE HELPim going into year 13 and would appreciate any recommended resources, tips, techniques, revision hours etc im also doing the new AQA specI WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL BLESS YOU
Hi, okay so, I did AS got 89/160 in 2016. I was hurt but I got on with it. Again another B at A2 whilst getting 2 A*s in Economics and maths. I resat Chemistry. First and four most use the website chem revise, the notes are absolutely unreal. Go into so much detail. Do old spec papers 3 times over if not more. Start them around January. If you have time progress to edexcel papers, Ocr etc, they have a different style. Do all questions in the text book in a little workbook. Honestly it’s not that difficult it’s all a mind game I promise. Hard work is the key to any of the A levels. You can almost guarantee a B. When you do all the papers and look at new spec you can see certain questions haven’t been asked in a while. They came up, honestly I predicted at least 10% of the unusual questions on my papers in June. I bet you I could predict 10% next year. Do all isa papers and know the practicals very well, again they become predictable if you look what hasn’t been asked yet there’s a long list. Finally believe in yourself you got this. I got BBB at as level. I average 95% in A2 maths including C1 and C2 resits. 100% in Economics paper 1, 94% paper 2. I dropped 39 marks out of 300 in chem this year. I’m not bragging but simply showing you it’s possible. Speak to A* students regularly contact me if you need to. You see patterns in how they work. I knew this resit was my last chance to go to Kings. I asked every single person I knew who got an A* how they did it and merged my own plan based off of this. You got this
theowinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by haseeb_jarral)what are your secrets!

(I got a C in chem AS - my worst result and I wanna turn it around to at least an A for medicine)

what did you change the second year in terms of studying, if anything?

Hi my g. See my reply above to outline the basics. But honestly you got this. Work hard, keep believing. Work smart. What I did different was practice as oppose to learning content off by heart. Ofc you can do this and it only gets you so far. You learn the content through doing papers. You need calculations on a lock and this just takes practice nothing more. Also don’t over deep the specimens, if I sat the specimens I would have probably got a C. Literally ask me anything else if you need to. See the post above too!
theowinn
Rep:
?
Ask more questions if you need whilst I’m here. Can talk maths etc if you take it. If not calm
haseebj49
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theowinn)
Ask more questions if you need whilst I’m here. Can talk maths etc if you take it. If not calm
how much harder is the 2nd years content?
theowinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by haseeb_jarral)
how much harder is the 2nd years content?
Honestly not much harder, obviously it is slightly but you got to persevere. It’s initially hard but come exams a lot seems simple after much practise
herfairytales
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi thankyou very much for your response!
I take maths too can I have some tips there too please
iArtiztxz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys so I recently got my results and I’m now enrolled at KCL to do economics. I want to give back to the community and see if anybody wants my help and to ask questions on how I scraped a B first time round, to getting 20 marks into an A* second year, it’s calm if not just a guy trying to help. Btw it was AQA New Spec
I'll just drop this, A level chemistry exam papers sorted by exam boards; some as far back as 2003:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mF...abhYLcAox_FqZM

Also got an A* for this year's chem, halfway through last year - couldn't even do basic mass/mr calculations properly. Glad to help!
haseebj49
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iArtiztxz)
I'll just drop this, A level chemistry exam papers sorted by exam boards; some as far back as 2003:

Also got an A* for this year's chem, halfway through last year - couldn't even do basic mass/mr calculations properly. Glad to help!
thank you so much! these are gonna be really helpful!
jackhalpert
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just want to ask for tips and techniques that you did and maybe what parts should we focus on. It will be such a great help!
taranmistry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I I'm currently going in year 11 but maths, science and French I'm doing foundation and my grades on them are 3s and 4s I really want to do higher is it late? I'm worried sick my exam boards are aware. I need help quickly
iArtiztxz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi thankyou very much for your response!
I take maths too can I have some tips there too please
I'm sure you've heard this a million times, just do past papers - BUT there are a few key rules you MUST follow for past paper work to be effective.

- Every paper you do, if possible, should be under timed conditions
- If you use flashcards, write what you did WRONG on those flashcards; basically make a set of flashcards for standard formulae, methods, memorisation etc obviously but also have a set where you outline mistakes you made and what type of questions they were on
- Repeat and remark papers you've completed
- Analyse mark schemes for ways questions can be done faster (for question types that have multiple possible methods)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY; do EVERY paper there is, do not do just 10 papers for a module and call it a day, do every single one e.g. if you're edexcel, do all the standard papers then ensure you do the IAL papers as well
theowinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by iArtiztxz)

Ofc bro I used those very helpful thank you for your contribution
theowinn
Rep:
?
If you need help Dm me honestly
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its nice to know that someone went from a B to an A* i got a B in AS Chem just about and my teachers think its unrealistic for me to even get an A next year.. I know if i put in effort i can do well next year, i went from an D to an A* during year 11, maybe if i put in work i could move up one grade im hoping for an A., Thank you for the tips very helpful!
theowinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
its nice to know that someone went from a B to an A* i got a B in AS Chem just about and my teachers think its unrealistic for me to even get an A next year.. I know if i put in effort i can do well next year, i went from an D to an A* during year 11, maybe if i put in work i could move up one grade im hoping for an A., Thank you for the tips very helpful!
Listen, you have to use your teachers doubt as motivation. Dm me and we can arrange some support. Honestly you can do this. I literally scraped a B you got this girl. The only person stopping you is you
cringos
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very similar situation to the OP! Doing Edexcel reformed A level so no AS but constantly did assessments at school. Anyway, started Year 12 on a low B (like on the boundary). Managed to get an A* this summer. The two main bits of advice I’d give to anyone is firstly, if you’re serious about getting a top grade, you have to really immerse yourself in the subject. It’s not enough to just kind of read notes and what not, try and understand everything that’s going on and then you’ll be able to apply it to any unusual questions you get asked (obviously any rote learning stuff like Transition metal colours is just sitting down and do revision). Try and understand why certain reactions happen and how they work, sounds super keen but it really helps. Obviously, on top of this you should be doing all the questions you can find to help you consolidate and apply the topics you’re trying to understand. Secondly, is to persevere and not give up with it because it’s a hard subject and it’s really tempting to give up. After working really hard for my second assessment, I got a worse mark :/ but you’ve got to keep going and keep up the optimism and the work level (goes for all A Levels/exams!). Good Luck!
deathnote123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I was supposed to do uni this year but I got an E grade in chem A2 due to personal responsibilities. I got a C in As without much work but realised it doesn't count to 2nd year, so I'm going to retake both in a year. Have you got any tips? thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.26%
Disagree (4)
7.41%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
27.78%
Agree (19)
35.19%
Strongly Agree (11)
20.37%

Watched Threads

Latest