Can a bisexual person call themselves gay? Watch

Vasqudav000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So my friend is 12 yrs old he's a boy and defines himself as bisexual but does it also makes him gay bc he's also attracted to his gender??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Vasqudav000
Rep:
?
in my opinion yes he is also defined gay
PureHeroine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
but like why does it matter to you?? i don't understand why everything has to be so black and white all the time. why isn't it ok to have that grey.
RickiestRick
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No, because 'gay' refers to being homosexual, a term describing being sexually attracted to males only. The term 'straight' refers to heterosexual, a term describing being sexually attracted to females only, so bisexuals are neither homosexual or heterosexual. Hence why there is an entirely different term, bisexual.
Vasqudav000
Rep:
?
rainclouds- it matters to me bc he just discovered his bisexual
giosanti
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Anyone can call themselves anything they want. Words are just communication tools.

Use whatever words are best for communicating what you want to communicate at the time.

In this case, simply saying "my friend is gay" might make people think he's only attracted to the same sex, rather than both sexes. Meanwhile, saying "my friend is bisexual" would likely prevent that potential confusion. But the choice is yours.
username2864374
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Vasqudav000)
So my friend is 12 yrs old he's a boy and defines himself as bisexual but does it also makes him gay bc he's also attracted to his gender??
No. He’s bisexual. He may choose to use the word gay as an umbrella term (the way some LGBT people use q*eer) but if he doesn’t then he’s not gay. If he does he is. Simples
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
rainclouds- it matters to me bc he just discovered his bisexual
Agreed. But that still has nothing to do with you. He isn't suddenly going to hit on you. Just because he has changed a label that describes himself doesn't mean anything else is going to change.
Vasqudav000
Rep:
?
ByEeek im not intetested on him hes just confused
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
ByEeek im not intetested on him hes just confused
Tell him he is fine the way he is. He is perfectly normal, fantastic and can be or express himself as whoever he chooses. That is all. And failing that, why not point him somewhere like here:

https://www.theproudtrust.org/
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You can label yourself however the **** you like, but other people can't label you for you - if he says his sexuality is bisexual then that's really all you need to know. There's no "but is he gay", he's already told you what he is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed