toby siu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got rejected for the 2018 admission to LSE UCL economics bsc, now i got 3A* A (Math fm phy econ, all math/fm modules ums close to 100). But apprently LSE doesn't want student with high grades but a high level of english and personal statement?
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Weird cos I thought they had a priority for really mathsy people...
I have no idea what they want.
International students probably lol.
Too many people are applying I guess and too few places.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by toby siu)
I got rejected for the 2018 admission to LSE UCL economics bsc, now i got 3A* A (Math fm phy econ, all math/fm modules ums close to 100). But apprently LSE doesn't want student with high grades but a high level of english and personal statement?
Nah they want high grades in addition to a good personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
toby siu
Rep:
?
it is difficult to know whether my personal statemnet is good enough or not, cos no secononday school teachers are helping me.
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What were your predictions? 4A*s? If yes, then you got rejected purely to a bad PS.

Since you are out of school, your teachers wont help you polish the PS up, is that what youre saying?
toby4413
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exactly
Cannonfodder99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it is difficult to know whether my personal statemnet is good enough or not, cos no secononday school teachers are helping me.
Perhaps you could reference your personal statement against successful LSE ones available on TSR to gauge how it compares. That's how I wrote my LSE one with no input from teachers, other than grammatical checks.
toby siu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cannonfodder99)
Perhaps you could reference your personal statement against successful LSE ones available on TSR to gauge how it compares. That's how I wrote my LSE one with no input from teachers, other than grammatical checks.
did you get an offer?
toby siu
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
What were your predictions? 4A*s? If yes, then you got rejected purely to a bad PS.

Since you are out of school, your teachers wont help you polish the PS up, is that what youre saying?
do you have any solution?
Cannonfodder99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
did you get an offer?
Yes, but I applied for A&F, not Econ.
toby siu
Rep:
?
Yes, but I applied for A&F, not Econ.
Did you read or skim read many books that are related to your course? when you said referencing from successful PS, do you mean copying their structure ?
Cannonfodder99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of books, I read a couple of books, but only cited 2 in my personal statement. I decided to read related books so I could compare the authors ideas. As boring as it sounds, I also read merger documents and commented on some ways in which it interested me.

With regards to referencing successful PSs, I used it to determine what ratio of academics to extracurricular I should use in my PS, but I'd recommend you read through them and make your own deductions as to how you can improve your personal statement.
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of books, I read a couple of books, but only cited 2 in my personal statement. I decided to read related books so I could compare the authors ideas. As boring as it sounds, I also read merger documents and commented on some ways in which it interested me.

With regards to referencing successful PSs, I used it to determine what ratio of academics to extracurricular I should use in my PS, but I'd recommend you read through them and make your own deductions as to how you can improve your personal statement.
On LSE's website, it clearly says that at least 80% should be related to academics/academic essay discussion and less than 20% should be for extracurriculars. LSE really dont care if you played soccer or was a cheerleader.
Cannonfodder99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On LSE's website, it clearly says that at least 80% should be related to academics/academic essay discussion and less than 20% should be for extracurriculars. LSE really dont care if you played soccer or was a cheerleader.
Yes. Ultimately, I wrote much, much less about my ECs relative to how much I wrote about academia, but I still feel it was easier to gauge this split from successful examples, rather than a blanket percentage.
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes. Ultimately, I wrote much, much less about my ECs relative to how much I wrote about academia, but I still feel it was easier to gauge this split from successful examples, rather than a blanket percentage.
I havent actually found that many successful applicants to LSE; I think I saw ~2 for Economics and 2 for Accounting and Finance, both from this Malaysian website I believe it was. One was writing this corny huge paragraph about Hitler but got in so obviously it was good.

You're right; I believe the 'official % split' is just LSE's way to emphasis the true importance of academic interests in the subject(s) rather than talking on and on about football and girl scout cookies

What were your predicted grade and actual achieved? You got into A&F for 2018?
Cannonfodder99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I havent actually found that many successful applicants to LSE; I think I saw ~2 for Economics and 2 for Accounting and Finance, both from this Malaysian website I believe it was. One was writing this corny huge paragraph about Hitler but got in so obviously it was good.

You're right; I believe the 'official % split' is just LSE's way to emphasis the true importance of academic interests in the subject(s) rather than talking on and on about football and girl scout cookies

What were your predicted grade and actual achieved? You got into A&F for 2018?
I'm a second year student, so I was 2017 entry. Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSEs and A*AA (A*A*A predicted) for A levels with Maths, Chem and Physics. Are you at LSE too/ are you applying to LSE?
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a second year student, so I was 2017 entry. Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSEs and A*AA (A*A*A predicted) for A levels with Maths, Chem and Physics. Are you at LSE too/ are you applying to LSE?
Oh wow, those are great results. I'm applying for LSE A&F this September actually, so for the 2019/2020 entry. I got 3A*s and 7As at iGCSE. I do the International Baccalaureate with either 44 or 45/45 predicted with HL Maths (equivalent of FM), HL English, HL Economics, SL Chemistry, SL Physics, SL German.

Since you're in A&F, how would you say the grades were within the candidates/your classmates for A level/IB. I assume a lot of them had FM as well? I take High Level maths which some see as an equivalent of FM, so I'm hoping that taking it puts me at a somewhat of an advantage(?).
Would you say that a lot of your IB classmates mostly took HL maths or SL?
When did you send in your UCAS application and when did you get your final offer from lse?

For your PS, did you actually do work experience at some local firm and reflected on those or were you purely going from books, with equal waiting on both Accounting and Finance?
Cannonfodder99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those are great predictions! Unfortunately, I don't really know many people who did IB on A&F, bar one, who got 42, but I do not know if he had HL or SL maths. Most people I know did A Levels and I would say the most common grade is A*AA-A*A*A, though this is just from the sample of people who i've met. I'm pretty sure there are websites which catalog these averages, and they will definitely be much more accurate than I am.

Most people doing A&F don't have further maths at A level as LSE doesn't really encourage A&F applicants doing A level to have both maths and FM, though I could be remembering wrong. I have no clue about the IB requirements though, and I'm sure you'll know much more about what they require from IB students than I do!

I sent my application pretty late- around end of November, and got an early march reply. As for my P.S. I did not have any work experience, which was a massive worry for me during the time. I'm glad it worked out, but I cannot say how much of a disadvantage it put me at, if any.

Reading back, I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, but I wish you luck in your application. I'd advise you to get it sent off early.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads