am i wasting my time? Watch

chargooch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
i'd like to study music at uni, but i'm worried i'd be wasting my time and money because there arent many jobs you can get with a music degree
the problem is i dont know any alternative options? i dont know what to do because i really love music and want to learn about it!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
anomalygirl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you love music I would say you go and do music!
However, my friend was the same as you, and he loves music however he chose to do a more academic course do to feeling that music wouldn't lead him anywhere. My advice was he should've just gone ahead and done music.

I feel with music it's usually connections that help you make it up-there, but maybe a music course could give you a boost into meeting people with similar interests and you could find a university which will give you opportunities to pursue your desired career.
Fluffy02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you like the sound of studying music further, then do it. I guess the majority of people doing a music degree either end up performing, or teaching in some form. There are always demands for instrument teachers. If you end up getting a lower paid job, then you won't be paying off much of your loan.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
fabragas27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by chargooch)
i'd like to study music at uni, but i'm worried i'd be wasting my time and money because there arent many jobs you can get with a music degree
the problem is i dont know any alternative options? i dont know what to do because i really love music and want to learn about it!!
Why go University, waste your time and money on a music degree when you can learn music right off the internet, or get books on music from the library and just practice perfecting your music with all the free time you would have by not being stuck in a lecture hall at university.

Why do you have to go so much into debt which would cripple your financial future, when all you need to do is just play music and get experienced at it. Please, do yourself a favour and the tax payers a favour and do not go University for a music degree. Please, just go online, get books, or hang out with musicians and just perfect your music that way.

Good luck.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by chargooch)
There are plenty of transferable skills to be had from a music degree, particularly if you do an academic music degree (as opposed to a performance course at a conservatoire). Just because you'd study a degree in music, wouldn't mean you only have to do music-related careers! :nah: As an example, I read music at Oxford and people from my course went onto:

- Academic postgrad music courses
- Performance postgrad music courses
- Classroom teaching
- Freelance peripatetic instrumental teaching
- MD (Musical Director in musicals)
- Arts administration
- GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law), eventually becoming a barrister
- GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine)
- Jobs in the City (e.g. working for firms like PwC in highly-paid positions)

I also know someone a few years below me who trained as a children's nurse following a relevant course after her music degree at Oxford. In terms of non-Oxbridge musos who I know, a former friend who studied music at Manchester is now (I believe) in a managerial position for a leading mental health charity :yes:

There are definitely loads of options out there. At the end of the day, only you can decide if you feel the level of debt is worth it. Though tbh, most people (from any degree!) won't end up paying back their whole student loan :nah:

(Original post by fabragas27)
Why go University, waste your time and money on a music degree when you can learn music right off the internet, or get books on music from the library and just practice perfecting your music with all the free time you would have by not being stuck in a lecture hall at university.

Why do you have to go so much into debt which would cripple your financial future, when all you need to do is just play music and get experienced at it. Please, do yourself a favour and the tax payers a favour and do not go University for a music degree. Please, just go online, get books, or hang out with musicians and just perfect your music that way.

Good luck.
:lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads