HSPS Cambridge 2019 applicants thread Watch

VoxScof
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How did you guys find the admissions test?

I thought Section 1 was harder than usual tbh
purplewings
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Same, I found the comprehensions a lot harder than the practise papers! Although the essay section went surprisingly well. As an international student I've taken the SAT twice and its actually very similar to HSPSAA Section 1
VoxScof
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah, looking through the posts from yesterday seems like the consensus is that it was harder...on the website it says the top applicants may get 80%, do you think that would be lower this year? Like 70 or something idk, I know 80 is missing 7 marks and 70 is missing 11 marks...how many marks were you guys unsure of?
Last edited by VoxScof; 2 months ago
LynnzzZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey guys. Just messed up my HSPSAA yesterday... I really find it more difficult compared with specimen and past papers on the website. How do you feel about that?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MichaellaO
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey guys. I thought section 1 was difficult, I had to read stuff more than once and finished with only 2 mins to spare but i feel like the 2017 paper was harder for me.
pinkyswear32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
.......section 2 isn't that ideal
Last edited by pinkyswear32; 1 month ago
PAUEspb
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pinkyswear32)
i found the section 1 okay actually, except the article2, but i am really unsure with section2
[mod edit: please don't discuss Section 2 - thanks]
Me too! Literally same feeling.
fb12345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone know whether we are allowed to submit essays that we wrote for essay competitions or do they have to have both been marked by a teacher?
hunfilm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by fb12345)
Does anyone know whether we are allowed to submit essays that we wrote for essay competitions or do they have to have both been marked by a teacher?
it says on the website they must have been marked assessments with no added edits.
Jjjjackfffrancis
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I mean, I asked if I could literally just send in my A Level essay. They said it was okay if I made it clear that it was CCEA (Northern Ireland's equivalent of AQA) who marked it, not my teacher.

Hope that vaguely helps.
pinkyswear32
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
is there anyone apply to kings college? or any other college, do you know what time they will send off interview invitation? i have heard about trinity college giving off philosophy invitations
gracewb_93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
is there anyone apply to kings college? or any other college, do you know what time they will send off interview invitation? i have heard about trinity college giving off philosophy invitations
Online it says they aim to give a few weeks notice for interviews and for my college (jesus) the interviews are expected to be 2,3,4 December. So I guess mid-November hopefully.
hunfilm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
since there are some courses that still have a deadline to send written work assessments, I'm guessing majority of offers for interviews won't begin until mid-november
sinsine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Might be a lil' premature, but I found that someone (presumably a current student) has submitted a request for information for the examiners' reports for the various Year 1 papers. I found it really interesting to see how the cohort has fared generally, and what kind of questions did most lean towards. I thought this also gave a good idea of the questions we are expected to answer at the end of the first year and it has really reinforced how much HSPS is made for me...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1257956

The same guy also asked about admission statistics for last year which I thought anyone reading this thread would definitely be interested in. Cambridge hasn't replied but I will be watching very closely! He asked for pretty much all of the different aspects in assessing the applicants and at least based on numbers, provide us with a good idea of what kind of applicant makes the cut at the end of the day. If all the information he asked for gets provided, there are a lot of possible trends that we can definitely analyse for. I am not sure if Cambridge would release all the information he asked for given that I have seen on some other FOIs that they decline to provide the information due to the small sample size that may make the applicant easily identifiable, which I think might be the case for the question on which college each successful applicant was admitted to.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1252814
purplewings
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not sure about Kings but Homerton's timeline says they'll send out all interview invitations in "late November"
pinkyswear32
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by purplewings)
Not sure about Kings but Homerton's timeline says they'll send out all interview invitations in "late November"
Last edited by pinkyswear32; 1 month ago
Sh167
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone been invited to interview yet?
Jjjjackfffrancis
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sh167)
No
PAUEspb
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sh167)
No! Other colleges haven’t offered interviews yet either... good luck everyone
Sh167
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PAUEspb)
No! Other colleges haven’t offered interviews yet either... good luck everyone
For hsps or Cambridge in general? As I’ve seen people for other subjects have already started receiving invitations just not hsps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise