Takeonme44
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m going into year 13, and am doing chemistry physics and English literature and am interested in a physics degree. Can I drop English literature, and do as physics and as further maths, in order to get into a physics degree, and do this on one year?? Help.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Takeonme44)
I’m going into year 13, and am doing chemistry physics and English literature and am interested in a physics degree. Can I drop English literature, and do as physics and as further maths, in order to get into a physics degree, and do this on one year?? Help.
Hi there,

Am I correct in thinking you are asking if two A-levels and an AS level would be enough to help you get into a physics degree?

I would advise speaking with your college/sixth form about this, if they are happy for you to drop a subject and continue with two full and one AS, then you could do this. However, you need to be aware that you are going to find it more difficult to reach the required number of UCAS points universities ask of you across just 2 full A-levels as opposed to 3.

You may be able to pick up the AS subject in further maths which could be very helpful for a physics degree, AS levels are now a stand alone qualification which do give you UCAS points just not as many as the full A-level.

What you may find helpful is researching the entry requirements for Physics degrees through UCAS (https://bit.ly/2vW3uu6) so you can understand exactly what grades you're going to need to achieve if you drop an A-level and if the uni's require 3 or if there are some happy to consider 2. Every uni is different and set different requirements of their students.

You may need to finish your Chemistry and Physics A-level and continue for another year with your maths and apply for uni the following year or go through clearing to see if any uni's are flexible with their entry requirements.

I hope this helps but if you have further questions please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Thanks - Sophie.
Takeonme44
Rep:
?
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there,

Am I correct in thinking you are asking if two A-levels and an AS level would be enough to help you get into a physics degree?

I would advise speaking with your college/sixth form about this, if they are happy for you to drop a subject and continue with two full and one AS, then you could do this. However, you need to be aware that you are going to find it more difficult to reach the required number of UCAS points universities ask of you across just 2 full A-levels as opposed to 3.

You may be able to pick up the AS subject in further maths which could be very helpful for a physics degree, AS levels are now a stand alone qualification which do give you UCAS points just not as many as the full A-level.

What you may find helpful is researching the entry requirements for Physics degrees through UCAS (https://bit.ly/2vW3uu6) so you can understand exactly what grades you're going to need to achieve if you drop an A-level and if the uni's require 3 or if there are some happy to consider 2. Every uni is different and set different requirements of their students.

You may need to finish your Chemistry and Physics A-level and continue for another year with your maths and apply for uni the following year or go through clearing to see if any uni's are flexible with their entry requirements.

I hope this helps but if you have further questions please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Thanks - Sophie.
Do 2 as’s count as one a2
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do 2 as’s count as one a2
Hi there,

I've included a table below which shows you what AS levels will give you in terms of points.

There are some uni's that won't accept anything less than 3 full A-levels for entry onto a physics degree even if you did have two AS levels.This is why it's really important to carefully consider your options. Some Uni's don't work off a points system but a grades system.

If you could find uni's that don't ask for both Maths and Physics at A-level and just Physics you may be able to carry on with your 3 current A-levels.

I hope this helps!

Sophie.
Takeonme44
Rep:
?
Hi there,

I've included a table below which shows you what AS levels will give you in terms of points.

There are some uni's that won't accept anything less than 3 full A-levels for entry onto a physics degree even if you did have two AS levels.This is why it's really important to carefully consider your options. Some Uni's don't work off a points system but a grades system.

If you could find uni's that don't ask for both Maths and Physics at A-level and just Physics you may be able to carry on with your 3 current A-levels.

I hope this helps!

Sophie.
hi this is helping a lot, and I would love to get your opinion on this. Because students taking IB or Scottish highers take on more subjects, surely they cover the subject in slightly less depth. As universities ask for a certain amount of points in both maths and physics in either ib or Scottish highers, could I do ib maths and partner it with 2 alevels in chemistry and physics.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi this is helping a lot, and I would love to get your opinion on this. Because students taking IB or Scottish highers take on more subjects, surely they cover the subject in slightly less depth. As universities ask for a certain amount of points in both maths and physics in either ib or Scottish highers, could I do ib maths and partner it with 2 alevels in chemistry and physics.
Thanks for coming back to me.

Does your sixth form offer the IB?

Also to help me know what we are working with here, do you know which uni you would like to go to to study Physics so I can look into their requirements further for you?

Thanks,

Sophie.
Takeonme44
Rep:
?
Thanks for coming back to me.

Does your sixth form offer the IB?

Also to help me know what we are working with here, do you know which uni you would like to go to to study Physics so I can look into their requirements further for you?

Thanks,

Sophie.
Wow thanks a lot, I almost feel like I should be paying for this XD. I know that my school doesn’t offer IB but I would self tutor myself, and I’m sure that the maths teachers teaching the alevel spec would be happy to help me if I struggled with something. I am really interested in the bsc physics course at Southampton. Thanks.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow thanks a lot, I almost feel like I should be paying for this XD. I know that my school doesn’t offer IB but I would self tutor myself, and I’m sure that the maths teachers teaching the alevel spec would be happy to help me if I struggled with something. I am really interested in the bsc physics course at Southampton. Thanks.
You're welcome, put your money away we do this free of charge!

You can now do the full A-level in a year have you thought about asking your school if they will let you do A2 Maths instead of the AS? It could be a lot of hard work and you may need to tutor your way through it but it could be possible.

So the University of Southampton do not work off a tariff points system they work off the grading system which is AAB. You need 3 full A-levels including Mathematics AND Physics at grade A.

Difficult thing with the IB diploma programme is I don't believe that you can just take 1 subject but you have take all 6 subjects.

You could look into the idea of doing foundation Physics and then topping this up to the full degree after two years - There aren't too many foundation degrees in Physics but here is an example - https://digital.ucas.com/courses/det...micYearId=2018

Thanks,

Sophie.
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UniofReading & Nottingham Trent University do you have any advice or guidance to add here?
Nottingham Trent University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Takeonme44

National Careers Service has given you some really great advice there so I'll try my best to help out!

Firstly, I would have a chat with someone at your school as they'll be the best people to advise you on the feasibility of being able to drop a subject. Unfortunately the main hurdle to get over is that most Physics courses will require you to have a Maths A-level.

However, there are plenty of other options! One you might not have heard of is called an 'openplus' route which NTU have partnered up with the Open University to deliver. It is slightly different to a normal degree in that you would do a year of part-time study at the Open University and then 2 years of full-time at NTU - but the key thing is that you don't require a Maths A-level! There's some more info on the Open University website, but don't hesitate to give me a shout if you want to know more

Chris - NTU rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (87)
27.8%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.17%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (94)
30.03%

Watched Threads