Achieved AAB, what are my options for medicine? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rxmxi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I achieved A (bio), A (chem), B (maths- 4 marks off an A), A* (EPQ)
I had 2 offers but missed them both.
What are my options for Medicine?
Thanks in advance
iArtiztxz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
Thanks in advance
Without going straight to a non-med degree either by reapplying or clearing, I would say your two main options are:

- Doing medicine outside of the UK (I've only heard from friends and online about this) check possible destinations and their requirements. Try to ask around and find someone that can share their experience doing such a course.

- Reapplying next year to a foundation year medicine course; select universities allow applicants with grades below AAA
Have a look here: https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ation-courses/

I have a friend who met his offer for King's College's Extended Medical Degree Programme (MBBS) and his offer was ABB HOWEVER they have certain specific non-academic requirements which you need to read up carefully.

Hope this has been of some help! All the best.
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Resit Maths and re-apply for next year's entry.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Get Maths remarked ASAP, it's worth a shot. Have you contacted the uni's to tell them how close you were?

I'd look into resitting next year and applying to universities which allow them, there aren't many but it's a better option than GEM at this stage.

(Original post by Rxmxi)
Thanks in advance
Rxmxi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've tried telling the Uni's however they still won't consider me unless I get the A. Which Universities am I able to apply to with re-sits? Also what is GEM?
Thank you

(Original post by HopelessMedic)
Get Maths remarked ASAP, it's worth a shot. Have you contacted the uni's to tell them how close you were?

I'd look into resitting next year and applying to universities which allow them, there aren't many but it's a better option than GEM at this stage.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
> Apply to resit universities
> Do biomed/clinical sciences and transfer to med (unlikely but does happen)
> Graduate entry
daisie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
HYMS allow students with AAB to apply and resit. They seemed quite open about a B at interview and when I visited on offer holder day.

Liverpool accept resits but they want you to get an A* in that subject.

I believe Kings and Bristol accept resits too

Good luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mother2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There's a list here of universities that allow resits for medicine, but you'll need to check the websites carefully as it may be out of date. Sheffield have just announced that they will accept resit applicants from 2019 too.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...resit-policies
It's also worth contacting the universities that gave you offers and asking if they would accept another application from you. Good luck - the same thing happened to my daughter and she was successful in getting two offers after resitting and is now working as a doctor. There is hope.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
I've tried telling the Uni's however they still won't consider me unless I get the A. Which Universities am I able to apply to with re-sits? Also what is GEM?
Thank you
GEM stands for Graduate Entry Medicine, i.e doing a medicine degree after you graduate.

I'm afraid i don't know which uni's accept resits, this changes year by year so you'll have to find out yourself.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
Thank you
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf will tell you which med schools accept retakes. If in doubt, just contact the med schools directly.
secobf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably a bit too late now but Sheffield allows people with an A/A* in their EPQ to apply with AAB grades.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (134)
16.94%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (242)
30.59%

Watched Threads