stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So in my end of years I got A*AA in biology, chemistry and maths. In September we have more exams which our predicteds are determined by. I was only one mark of the A* in chem and maths so I’m hoping to get up to the A* in September, giving me A*A*A*. However, my sixth form head says he’s not comfortable predicting three A*s because I’m more likely to have A*s in my offer. Is he right? Should I got with a lower prediction, or is this different for courses like vet. He isn’t too experienced with vet applications so I figured I’d ask here.

Thanks!

(PS I’m applying to Cambridge who I know are more academic heavy- is he right for them?)
username2703735
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An offer from Cambridge is likely to contain A*'s yes, so if you think it unlikely you will achieve them then consider applying to other vet schools instead. Cambridge has both the highest entrance requirements and a low number of places per year - the odds really are stacked against you without solid predictions and results.

I would point out unlike other careers you will end with a vet degree that is equal irrespective of which university you went to, in fact Cambridge can actually come with a negative connotation to some employers/placement providers so don't feel you are limiting yourself by aiming for other vet schools.
lizz-ie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It was a few years ago when I did A Levels, however I actually asked my teachers to predict me A*AA, when they wanted to predict me A*A*A. I didn't want to risk having a uni ask for A*A*A because I knew that'd just put more pressure on me. Look at the entry requirements for the courses you're applying for, and if none need more than one A*, don't risk it! I still managed to get an Oxford interview with an A*AA prediction, but a few of my offers from other unis ended up being above their minimum requirement for the course because of my high predicted grades.
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
(Original post by VMD100)
An offer from Cambridge is likely to contain A*'s yes, so if you think it unlikely you will achieve them then consider applying to other vet schools instead. Cambridge has both the highest entrance requirements and a low number of places per year - the odds really are stacked against you without solid predictions and results.

I would point out unlike other careers you will end with a vet degree that is equal irrespective of which university you went to, in fact Cambridge can actually come with a negative connotation to some employers/placement providers so don't feel you are limiting yourself by aiming for other vet schools.
I’m well aware of Cambridge’s reputation within vet- it’s something that has made me properly consider whether I want to apply. I’m not fussed about going to Cambridge for its reputation, but it is cheaper to be a student in and has different application criteria which may give more chance of getting in. Thanks for the advice! Would you say that Cambridge (vet standard offer A*AA) or any other school would raise their offer for people with higher predicted grades?
rabbitswhiskers
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it's highly unlikely that any vet school these days would raise their offer for people with higher predicted grades! Maybe a few years ago when the market was different, but not now. Ultimately, they set their entry tariff requirements based on what they think you need for the course and all they're interested in is whether you meet them. Otherwise they risk losing excellent students to 'competitor' vet schools!
username2703735
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stimtothesky)
I’m well aware of Cambridge’s reputation within vet- it’s something that has made me properly consider whether I want to apply. I’m not fussed about going to Cambridge for its reputation, but it is cheaper to be a student in and has different application criteria which may give more chance of getting in. Thanks for the advice! Would you say that Cambridge (vet standard offer A*AA) or any other school would raise their offer for people with higher predicted grades?
Cambridge possibly would just because they have a very small amount of places to fill, no other vet school would. They typical offer is AAA and I haven't heard of any higher outside of Cambridge, often they're lower AAB or even ABB is not completely unheard of.
dex2012
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was in a similar situation last year - for biology I was predicted A*, but told that if that had the possibility of making my offers higher (that I would be required to get that A*) then they could predict me an A instead to reduce pressure.

I actually emailed Liverpool about it - so I can assure you they will never ask for higher than what's stated. I assume this is the same for other vet schools too. (So I would say there's no harm at all in those extra A* predictions)
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
dex2012 Thank you! That’s very reassuring and I think I’ll email the vet schools and show my sixth form head what they say. How did results day go?

VMD100 Thanks- you’re always very helpful!
dex2012
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stimtothesky)
dex2012 Thank you! That’s very reassuring and I think I’ll email the vet schools and show my sixth form head what they say. How did results day go?

VMD100 Thanks- you’re always very helpful!
Ahhh results day went slightly not to plan. I got my A*... and then an A and a B. I actually still got accepted though (after a few very worried phone calls)
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
(Original post by dex2012)
Ahhh results day went slightly not to plan. I got my A*... and then an A and a B. I actually still got accepted though (after a few very worried phone calls)
Glad it all worked out in the end! Good luck this September
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In many cases the grade requirements act as a filter. If your predicted grades meet the minimum requirements then awesome, you're through to the next stage and they'll actually read your personal statement, work experience forms etc. If not, too bad, that's an easy way for universities to immediately whittle the applicant pool down and you won't be considered even if you're close. For universities that use this system (of which I know Cambridge is not, but anyway), A*A*A* predictions may not actually confer any advantage over someone who only just meets the requirements.

I've never, ever seen a vet school give an offer higher than their minimum requirements, so while I think your teacher may have a good point in theory, I don't think setting your predictions as A*A*A* is anything to worry about at all. I would suggest having them set high just to increase your chances of getting an offer from Cambs, it's unlikely to affect your offers from other vet schools.
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
In many cases the grade requirements act as a filter. If your predicted grades meet the minimum requirements then awesome, you're through to the next stage and they'll actually read your personal statement, work experience forms etc. If not, too bad, that's an easy way for universities to immediately whittle the applicant pool down and you won't be considered even if you're close. For universities that use this system (of which I know Cambridge is not, but anyway), A*A*A* predictions may not actually confer any advantage over someone who only just meets the requirements.

I've never, ever seen a vet school give an offer higher than their minimum requirements, so while I think your teacher may have a good point in theory, I don't think setting your predictions as A*A*A* is anything to worry about at all. I would suggest having them set high just to increase your chances of getting an offer from Cambs, it's unlikely to affect your offers from other vet schools.
Thank you! This is what I thought was the case. I know Cambs is a lot more academic than the others and at their open day I was told the better my grades the more likely I am to get in... Liverpool emailed me back to say they only ever offer standard (or lower) so I’ll show that to my teacher in September. Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.55%
I need help with my personal statement (82)
41.41%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed