Loughborough (clearing choice) vs Warwick (first choice)

Watch
JanissaryGuard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#1
Warwick (my first choice University) want ABB for mechanical engineering. I'm currently at an ABC. But my maths grade is one mark away from an A, so I got M1 and C4 priority reviewed and hopefully the grade will go to an A and then I should have the entry requirements for a place (AAC=ABB)

Loughborough have given me a clearing offer already for engineering but I have until tomorrow to accept it on UCAS. Warwick said that they will hold my place for me until the 31st August to await the review. Warwick did say however that there's no guarantee that they'll be able to give me an offer since the final say is with the engineering department.

So should I accept Loughborough now or wait for my review that will hopefully go up to an A so I can see what Warwick say?
Or should I accept Loughborough through UCAS but wait to see what my re-mark is and if its an A I can go back to Warwick? Would that be possible?
0
reply
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#2
Report 2 years ago
#2
(Original post by JanissaryGuard)
Warwick (my first choice University) want ABB for mechanical engineering. I'm currently at an ABC. But my maths grade is one mark away from an A, so I got M1 and C4 priority reviewed and hopefully the grade will go to an A and then I should have the entry requirements for a place (AAC=ABB)

Loughborough have given me a clearing offer already for engineering but I have until tomorrow to accept it on UCAS. Warwick said that they will hold my place for me until the 31st August to await the review. Warwick did say however that there's no guarantee that they'll be able to give me an offer since the final say is with the engineering department.

So should I accept Loughborough now or wait for my review that will hopefully go up to an A so I can see what Warwick say?
Or should I accept Loughborough through UCAS but wait to see what my re-mark is and if its an A I can go back to Warwick? Would that be possible?
I don't see why Warwick are saying they'll hold your place until the 31st but simultaneously saying they can't guarantee it even if your remark does come back a grade higher.

Call them up again - the two statements are mutually exclusive imo.
1
reply
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#3
Report 2 years ago
#3
For many unis AAC =/= ABB

This might be why Warwick haven't given you a guaranteed place even if your grade does go up.
0
reply
JanissaryGuard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#4
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I don't see why Warwick are saying they'll hold your place until the 31st but simultaneously saying they can't guarantee it even if your remark does come back a grade higher.

Call them up again - the two statements are mutually exclusive imo.
The admissions team said they can't guarantee it in the sense that the final say is up to the Engineering department once the result comes through,
0
reply
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#5
Report 2 years ago
#5
(Original post by JanissaryGuard)
The admissions team said they can't guarantee it in the sense that the final say is up to the Engineering department once the result comes through,
Can you speak to the engineering dept? They're keeping you in limbo if they can't guarantee a place even if the remark comes back positive. Tell them you have other universities willing take you on and you need to have a definitive answer to make a decision.
1
reply
Headboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#6
Report 2 years ago
#6
Warwick is my firm choice and they've said the same to me. I got ABC and I was one mark from an A in maths so getting it remarked. Warwick have said the department will consider my remark if it goes to an A but not guarantee anything. Loughborough have offered me a place and I have to accept by tomorrow.
0
reply
Headboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#7
Report 2 years ago
#7
(Original post by JanissaryGuard)
Warwick (my first choice University) want ABB for mechanical engineering. I'm currently at an ABC. But my maths grade is one mark away from an A, so I got M1 and C4 priority reviewed and hopefully the grade will go to an A and then I should have the entry requirements for a place (AAC=ABB)

Loughborough have given me a clearing offer already for engineering but I have until tomorrow to accept it on UCAS. Warwick said that they will hold my place for me until the 31st August to await the review. Warwick did say however that there's no guarantee that they'll be able to give me an offer since the final say is with the engineering department.

So should I accept Loughborough now or wait for my review that will hopefully go up to an A so I can see what Warwick say?
Or should I accept Loughborough through UCAS but wait to see what my re-mark is and if its an A I can go back to Warwick? Would that be possible?
Have you decided re Loughborough?
0
reply
IxJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
#8
Report 2 years ago
#8
If Warwick are being that vague and non-committal (they don't even guarantee you a place if the remarks come back with higher grades) then I'd say go for Loughborough. The last thing you want is for them to turn you down post-remark and be left with nowhere to go (unless you have alternative plans).
0
reply
Headboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#9
Report 2 years ago
#9
(Original post by IxJ)
If Warwick are being that vague and non-committal (they don't even guarantee you a place if the remarks come back with higher grades) then I'd say go for Loughborough. The last thing you want is for them to turn you down post-remark and be left with nowhere to go (unless you have alternative plans).
Exactly. It's a huge gamble that may not pay off.
0
reply
JanissaryGuard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#10
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#10
(Original post by IxJ)
If Warwick are being that vague and non-committal (they don't even guarantee you a place if the remarks come back with higher grades) then I'd say go for Loughborough. The last thing you want is for them to turn you down post-remark and be left with nowhere to go (unless you have alternative plans).
I appreciate the advice. thank you.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads

View All