The Student Room Group

Application to university advice

Hi all. I got 7A* 4A at GCSE. Just got AAB at AS level. The B was in physics and one of the A's was in maths, though I did the whole maths A Level this year. I'm resitting C3 and C4, so I'm hoping for an A* in maths next August. Is there any point in me applying to A*A*A universities for maths, such as Imperial, Oxford or Warwick with those results ? Or do I have little chance and should I just apply to A*AA and lower? Thanks.
Reply 1
You have five application slots. You may as well have a reach option.
Original post by Sinnoh
You have five application slots. You may as well have a reach option.

Do you think TWO A*A*A slots is unrealistic with my results?
It depends on your predicted grades, if you were at my old college your predicted grades would be A*A*A (they did them one higher than the grade you achieved), if that was the case then yeah you could apply to them and probably get in, your grades don't really matter your predicted grades do
Original post by chinkilicious
Hi all. I got 7A* 4A at GCSE. Just got AAB at AS level. The B was in physics and one of the A's was in maths, though I did the whole maths A Level this year. I'm resitting C3 and C4, so I'm hoping for an A* in maths next August. Is there any point in me applying to A*A*A universities for maths, such as Imperial, Oxford or Warwick with those results ? Or do I have little chance and should I just apply to A*AA and lower? Thanks.

Realistically, it's probably a bit too much of a stretch. However, you could risk one UCAS choice. Have a look at past MAT papers and see how you find them. You'll need a very good score on that to have a chance, but it can help offset (relative) negative aspects of your application. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by chinkilicious
Do you think TWO A*A*A slots is unrealistic with my results?

It'll depend more on your predicted grades anyway. Most universities give most applicants offers, it's only with the very top unis that a minority of applicants get an offer.
Original post by emmamariekitty
It depends on your predicted grades, if you were at my old college your predicted grades would be A*A*A (they did them one higher than the grade you achieved), if that was the case then yeah you could apply to them and probably get in, your grades don't really matter your predicted grades do

Problem is, I'm pretty sure my school DOESNT tell us our predicted grades. But I've heard that yes, many schools predict one higher grade than the one you obtained at AS.
Original post by emmamariekitty

That's not how it works at top universities. Even if you've already achieved the entry requirements, you are by no means guaranteed an offer. Competition is fierce. For Oxford, the admissions test and (potential) interview will carry much more weight than a prediction to exceed the 'A' level entry requirements.
Original post by RogerOxon
Realistically, it's probably a bit too much of a stretch. However, you could risk one UCAS choice. Have a look at past MAT papers and see how you find them. You'll need a very good score on that to have a chance, but it can help offset (relative) negative aspects of your application. Good luck.

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly, you are suggesting just one and not TWO slots with A*A*A requirements is ok?

Quick Reply

Latest