GeorgiaMont
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've been asked to buy a stethoscope for medical school, however I'm unsure whether or not there are do's and don'ts. Are some colours regarded as less professional, or am I thinking about it too deeply?

This is the one i've been thinking of buying:

https://www.medisave.co.uk/littmann-...erry-5862.html

(The Littmann Classic III has been recommended to me by the school)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Forest.Pinecone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Think I got the littman classic II, from what I remember I think that's what a lot of others did as well. By the sounds of it, its a good general/starting one, but the III may be better for paediatric patients
https://stethoscopes.ninja/littmann-...-ii-se-review/
https://stethoscopes.ninja/littmann-stethoscopes/ (3 is near the bottom of the page)

Wouldn't about the colour, just pick one you like
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Makes no difference, get any colour you like. Get one with a bell and a diaphragm though because you’re likely to get OSCE makes for switching sides during an exam and you can’t do that visibly on the fancier ones that you convert from bell to diaphragm by pushing a bit harder.
GeorgiaMont
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
That's great-thank you!
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beska)
Makes no difference, get any colour you like. Get one with a bell and a diaphragm though because you’re likely to get OSCE makes for switching sides during an exam and you can’t do that visibly on the fancier ones that you convert from bell to diaphragm by pushing a bit harder.
Although in theory you'd hope the examiners would realise that (although that may be an ambitious assumption).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GeorgiaMont)
I've been asked to buy a stethoscope for medical school, however I'm unsure whether or not there are do's and don'ts. Are some colours regarded as less professional, or am I thinking about it too deeply?

This is the one i've been thinking of buying:

https://www.medisave.co.uk/littmann-...erry-5862.html

(The Littmann Classic III has been recommended to me by the school)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Yes, the Littmann Classic (I had the II) would be good enough.

(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Although in theory you'd hope the examiners would realise that (although that may be an ambitious assumption).
Well in some of our (medical school) OSCEs the mark scheme has clearly stated this. Also in MRCP PACES it is expected that you switch round for listening to certain areas.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Well in some of our (medical school) OSCEs the mark scheme has clearly stated this. Also in MRCP PACES it is expected that you switch round for listening to certain areas.
Then the markscheme needs updated to reflect the fact that not all stethoscopes work like that. I've examined in med school OSCEs and obviously wouldn't fault a candidate with eg a master cardiology stethoscope for not turning around the chestpiece (because it's physically impossible).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Then the markscheme needs updated to reflect the fact that not all stethoscopes work like that. I've examined in med school OSCEs and obviously wouldn't fault a candidate with eg a master cardiology stethoscope for not turning around the chestpiece (because it's physically impossible).
Absolutely - it does say on there if the candidate's stethoscope has it then they should do it. It would make no sense that people are faulted because their equipment is different would it.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Absolutely - it does say on there if the candidate's stethoscope has it then they should do it. It would make no sense that people are faulted because their equipment is different would it.
Ah right, yeah that makes much more sense.
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maaaan, as a prospective medical student, I'm pretty hyped to get my own stethoscope. But firstly I need to get into med school first!
Zarek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess a Littmann of any type will do as they are a premium make. I always wondered why the cheap brands have two pipes going from the earpieces to the bell. Seems more material but cheaper price.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just shake the patient and clutch him to the side of your head, lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (202)
19.27%
Labour (444)
42.37%
Liberal Democrats (204)
19.47%
Green Party (54)
5.15%
Brexit Party (28)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.43%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.95%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)