geniequeen48
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to become a Physician Associate. I'm really interested in surgery and anaesthesia especially after my work experience where I shadowed doctors and anaesthetists in the operating theatres. However I really like learning about the eye so I don't know what to do. Is it possible to become a physician associate in ophthalmology or nah? If yes, what can you do in it?

Which undergraduate degree should I do?
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by geniequeen48)
I want to become a Physician Associate. I'm really interested in surgery and anaesthesia especially after my work experience where I shadowed doctors and anaesthetists in the operating theatres. However I really like learning about the eye so I don't know what to do. Is it possible to become a physician associate in ophthalmology or nah? If yes, what can you do in it?

Which undergraduate degree should I do?
I'll move this over to careers for you, but medicine would give you more options as an undergrad for after- you could still go for ophthalmology afterwards. It's obviously more competitive though. I'm not sure what you can do in it but they work in hospitals with eg diabetics, cataracts etc, you'd probably know more than me though. Good luck whichever you decide!
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by furryface12)
I'll move this over to careers for you, but medicine would give you more options as an undergrad for after- you could still go for ophthalmology afterwards. It's obviously more competitive though. I'm not sure what you can do in it but they work in hospitals with eg diabetics, cataracts etc, you'd probably know more than me though. Good luck whichever you decide!
I didn't get into medicine grade wise and I don't want to try to go through the hassle again.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by geniequeen48)
I didn't get into medicine grade wise and I don't want to try to go through the hassle again.
Ah okay, sorry! I'll leave this for someone else to answer for you then, you've seen the extent of my knowledge
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For PA, you should check those allied health professions degrees are a suitable background; they may need a degree with greater "basic science" content, for example in Biomedical/Healthcare Science (this would also probably be a better background for potentially pursuing GEM). Beyond that, it depends on your interests; ODP probably relates more to these, but bear in mind an ODP degree is preparing you to be an ODP, not a PA, so the different perspectives involved may be less relevant to each other.

Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with PA stuff generally. I believe UCLan has an undergraduate PA programme though (well, undergraduate masters; it's a 4 year degree, similar to e.g. the MEng courses pursued by engineers) so that may be of interest.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you’re interested in surgery and anaesthesia then ODP might be a more sensible direction to go in. Later on in your career you could look into roles such as surgical care practitioner or PA (anaesthesia), these are commonly advanced practice roles that experienced ODPs and theatre nurses go on into.

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/careers-in-...-practitioner/

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...e-practitioner

https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/anaesthesia-r...nt-anaesthesia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads