Studying medicine abroad

Watch this thread
FazalKhan
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone, I’m a UK student who’s just finished his A levels and I fell just short of the grades required for medicine so I’m heavily considering studying abroad. I just wanted some advise on whether I should do this or not, I’m very passionate about medicine and I can’t see myself studying anything else. If there are any medical student who studied abroad I would deeply appreciate it if you could tell me about where you went, your experience abroad, how easy it was to settle in, did you make many friends, and just any advice in general you have for me. Thanks so much guys.
username2076879
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FazalKhan)
Hi everyone, I’m a UK student who’s just finished his A levels and I fell just short of the grades required for medicine so I’m heavily considering studying abroad. I just wanted some advise on whether I should do this or not, I’m very passionate about medicine and I can’t see myself studying anything else. If there are any medical student who studied abroad I would deeply appreciate it if you could tell me about where you went, your experience abroad, how easy it was to settle in, did you make many friends, and just any advice in general you have for me. Thanks so much guys.
Hiya, I'm a student at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic, going into my second year here. Having been in your situation previously, you should look at how much you fell short by in your a-levels. For example if you simply missed one grade, re-sitting and reapplying in the UK may be a viable option for you.

If you missed your grades by more than that, then i would suggest looking at studying abroad. Ive been studying in Czech for a year now and personally, i love it here ! There are lots of students from the UK and people are helpful and friendly, making it pretty easy to make good friends!

The facilities at my university are really good and the teaching is in English and at a good level. The course is difficult, as is to be expected for medicine. However don't let this put you off, because if you are committed and work hard from the beginning, you will be okay.

I hope this helps a little, feel free to message me if you have any more questions
FazalKhan
Rep:
Hey, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it at A level I got BBB which wasn’t what I was hoping for and I know these aren’t competitive results for medical school in the UK. Funnily enough I’ve been researching the medical schools in Czech Republic (Palacky University) and I really like the look of it. Was it a scary move for you? How long did it take you to settle in? Thank you so much
FazalKhan
Rep:
Is there anyway I can contact you directly?
username2076879
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FazalKhan)
Hey, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it at A level I got BBB which wasn’t what I was hoping for and I know these aren’t competitive results for medical school in the UK. Funnily enough I’ve been researching the medical schools in Czech Republic (Palacky University) and I really like the look of it. Was it a scary move for you? How long did it take you to settle in? Thank you so much
Hiya,

I'm not at Palacky myself but I have a few friends who are there, and have heard good things. Besides the syllabus and course structure throughout all these Czech universities is similar.

To be honest and frank, studying in Czech is by no means easy and it takes a lot of willpower to get through without falling behind and there is a large dropout rate where people who possibly didn't study enough will be kicked out. This is similar in Palacky where i think half the year group is dropped after the first year. But this generally happens to people who maybe don't take it as seriously from the beginning and it is very easy to slip up.

Other than that, the move is scary at first and you will only feel yourself really settling in after January time in the first year. Its not just the language and new environment but a lot of work load and constant exams that we have to pass. But honestly if you can make it through the first 3 months you will find yourself getting used to the workload and everything will start going smoothly for you.

There are student societies at both Palacky and Masaryk for international english speaking students and they organise quite a lot of socials and chances to meet new people. They also help guide you through exams and run extra revision classes for students.

From my experience, all the students generally give each other a lot of support and we tend to get through it together. There are a lot of students from the UK in my year and the years above, so you will find a lot of people similar to yourself. It's definitely do-able.

I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads