an enquiry Watch

dolores01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello to all,

I'm a fresher coming to study at Loughborough this October. I'm an EU student (from Croatia, hi to any Croats who might read this!).

I've heard of the university's excellent reputation for sports, though that's not what I'm here for. I was wondering how common it is for people to smoke on campus? I've heard that it's rather frowned upon (which I can understand, passive smoking can really be detrimental for anybody who does sports).

Is it normal for people just to walk around and smoke? Are there enough bins provided? Will people think less of me for it? I've (sadly) been smoking for a long time and it's something I always did when walking to (and from) school. I'd really be sad to lose my morning smoke privilege.

Thanks in advance,
Dolores
PenguinEmperor
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by dolores01)
Hello to all,

I'm a fresher coming to study at Loughborough this October. I'm an EU student (from Croatia, hi to any Croats who might read this!).

I've heard of the university's excellent reputation for sports, though that's not what I'm here for. I was wondering how common it is for people to smoke on campus? I've heard that it's rather frowned upon (which I can understand, passive smoking can really be detrimental for anybody who does sports).

Is it normal for people just to walk around and smoke? Are there enough bins provided? Will people think less of me for it? I've (sadly) been smoking for a long time and it's something I always did when walking to (and from) school. I'd really be sad to lose my morning smoke privilege.

Thanks in advance,
Dolores
Hey I've been a student at Loughborough for the past two years.
So In regards to smoking, the UK does have some quite strict regulations in regard to it, being that you aren't allowed to smoke in any of the public buildings and you must be 3m away from the building 9 (If you are living in University accommodation, smoking won't be allowed inside the building and would trigger the very sensitive smoke detectors).

Now, smoking definitely isn't as common as it use to be in the UK, and I wouldn't say people "Walk around and smoke", most people would smoke outside of a building, so that it is easier for people who don't like the smoke to avoid it. (Also since everything is so close on campus, you probably wouldn't actually have much time for smoking).

Also about people thinking less of you, I'd say while it isn't common, it isn't something that people overly actively think about. There are a lot of people on a University campus and a good number of those people smoke.
Last edited by PenguinEmperor; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Loughborough University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19

Do you give blood?