Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So basically i got my AS results :

Further maths-B( 3 marks of an A)
Maths-A
Physics-C
Business-B

Business i'am not taking next year,but physics maths,Further maths i'am taking next year. In physics i would really like to get an A,A* next year.
Any tips for improving in maths,further maths,physics.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the cookie)
So basically i got my AS results :

Further maths-B( 3 marks of an A)
Maths-A
Physics-C
Business-B

Business i'am not taking next year,but physics maths,Further maths i'am taking next year. In physics i would really like to get an A,A* next year.
Any tips for improving in maths,further maths,physics.
Firstly, stick with it. You can generally expect to go up grades in your second year - for example, I got AABB at AS and A*AA at A2. As general advice, I would say that as you learn content through the year, make sure you understand everything as you go along as there's nothing worse than desperately trying to learn how to do something right before exams. Identify any areas of weakness and sort them out as you go along.

For more specific advice, I would ask your teachers as they know you and will be able to give you advice that is particular to your strengths and weaknesses.
13Onthedot
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My AS grades were CCBB (maths, physics, chemistry, geography) and my A level grades were AAB (I dropped geography).

Basically I did a **** tonne of hard work, past papers over and over. Try to ensure you understand rather than learning the textbook (easier to say than do - if you can't get after many attempts, then memorize it just before the exam).

Also this might not apply to you, but my year was only the 2nd year on the new specification which was far harder than the old one, so MAKE SURE you practice on the new papers and not get false confidence for ages like I did before I found the new papers and almost had a heart attack when I tried to do them
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For Maths, it's just a matter of practice, making sure you actually understand the content enough, and just throwing yourself into the problems. How you do it is a matter of preference. Some like to build up from easier to harder questions, I just prefer to throw myself into the deep end from the off, just do whatever to get practice. Same really goes for FM. At A2 FM really builds upon techniques you learn in Maths, so make sure you're versed on them, especially things like Integration, Differentiation, etc.

Physics, at A Level is mostly just Maths. However the Maths itself isn't hard, it's mostly just knowing when and how to apply it that requires thinking, for instance in circuits. The theory bits you can't do much about besides just making sure you understand and learn, the other sections again come with practice.
omarathon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Physics can seem daunting. One thing I suggest is going through the chapters in your textbook, then completing all the questions at the end of the chapter. Do this while learning new topics to consolidate the learning and not have to do it later.

Second year Physics is quite a bit harder than AS. If you're on OCR I recommend doing all the old-spec past papers in order starting from the oldest. Start them at Christmas time - before then use other resources so you don't run out of past papers. If you do, go to the legacy papers.

I also highly recommend Isaac Physics. Very challenging some of the problems on there but helps you get used to seeing a question you've never seen before and finding approaches to solve it. I do warn you with the circuits and optics questions however - they tend to be above A-Level even at level 3.

Work hard, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads