Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a student from Indonesia and I have gotten unconditional offers from both unis. I have been extremely stressed recently by realizing just how stupid it was to apply for biochemistry at Imperial.

As much as I love biochemistry, I do not think I can contend with the waning job prospects for experimental scientists. Moreover, being an Indonesian, it would be very difficult for me to get a job in the UK or anywhere else outside my home country. We have bought non-refundable tickets and got everything set up. Unfortunately, I just realized how much better medicine could be for me in the long run. However, this would mean forfeiting my offer from Imperial to study the University of Melbourne (a much less prestigious uni). I have told everyone that I am going to Imperial and to make such a radical decision would hurt my prestige XD. Besides, all those hardwork at A levels to get 3A*s and an A to get to Imperial would sort of be, vain... But Australia is much closer to home though...

I need advice. Haven't slept in a few days due to this madness...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Levurmion)
    I am a student from Indonesia and I have gotten unconditional offers from both unis. I have been extremely stressed recently by realizing just how stupid it was to apply for biochemistry at Imperial.

As much as I love biochemistry, I do not think I can contend with the waning job prospects for experimental scientists. Moreover, being an Indonesian, it would be very difficult for me to get a job in the UK or anywhere else outside my home country. We have bought non-refundable tickets and got everything set up. Unfortunately, I just realized how much better medicine could be for me in the long run. However, this would mean forfeiting my offer from Imperial to study the University of Melbourne (a much less prestigious uni). I have told everyone that I am going to Imperial and to make such a radical decision would hurt my prestige XD. Besides, all those hardwork at A levels to get 3A*s and an A to get to Imperial would sort of be, vain... But Australia is much closer to home though...

I need advice. Haven't slept in a few days due to this madness...
    Daft question here: Is the medicine offer with Melbourne? Or are you planning to go into Graduate Entry medicine after a Biochem degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Daft question here: Is the medicine offer with Melbourne? Or are you planning to go into Graduate Entry medicine after a Biochem degree?
    The medicine offer is with melbourne.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When you say Biomedicine, do you mean a qualifying medical degree, or a degree in medical biosciences? The two aren't necessarily the same, and the distinction might affect peoples advice (as well as your perspectives, if you think it's something it's not).

However I would say, UMelb isn't "considerably less prestigious" than Imperial. It's one of the best universities in Australia as far as I'm aware, and while it may have slightly less international renown, among those who are aware of it anyway, highly regarded and at least broadly comparable to Imperial if not of the same level specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    When you say Biomedicine, do you mean a qualifying medical degree, or a degree in medical biosciences? The two aren't necessarily the same, and the distinction might affect peoples advice (as well as your perspectives, if you think it's something it's not).

However I would say, UMelb isn't "considerably less prestigious" than Imperial. It's one of the best universities in Australia as far as I'm aware, and while it may have slightly less international renown, among those who are aware of it anyway, highly regarded and at least broadly comparable to Imperial if not of the same level specifically.
    At UniMelb, doing biomedicine and undergraduate level gives me the choice to pursue an MD in graduate year. Although I would still have to take GAMSAT and fulfill a plethora of other prerequisites...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Levurmion)
    At UniMelb, doing biomedicine and undergraduate level gives me the choice to pursue an MD in graduate year. Although I would still have to take GAMSAT and fulfill a plethora of other prerequisites...
    That's not so different then to some of the Biomedical Sciences courses here with guaranteed interview schemes etc for the Graduate Entry Medicine courses they offer...In any case, do you want to be a physician or surgeon? If the answer is yes, then you should pursue whatever is the best route into that. However I wouldn't really recommend it just to have a "prestigious" job...

Beyond that I would point out that you can certainly apply in the UK to GEM courses with a degree in Biochemistry, and it might be suitable for other such programmes (including possibly at UMelb. As such, either could well lead into medicine as a career...so choose the course you would prefer to do in the meantime, and the location you would be best positioned to do as well as possible in your degree (worrying about money or travel or getting homesick or something will affect your performance in your degree programme invariably, so if this is a concern, it's well worth considering seriously in weighing up the two).

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.