The Student Room Group

Triple A* at A-Level but poor GCSE results, do I still have a good shot at Oxbridge?

Hello,

I expect this question will annoy some. I've received A*A*A* at A-Level in History, Geography, English Literature and am now intending to apply to Oxbridge. However, my GCSE results were poor, with only two A*s in History and English Language, one A in Literature, and two B's and two C's in the others, with a BC in dual-science.

Will these bad GCSE results hold me back to a substantial degree in the admissions process to Cambridge?
(edited 5 years ago)
lol. those GCSE grades aren't bad? 3A* at a level is amazing and you should be proud of what you achieved mate, And the chances of your admission being accepted is determined alot by your personal statement soo thats what you can do right now, thats the only thing you can change so focus on that, don't focus on whats already been done
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by thebadbaron
Hello,

I expect this question will annoy some. I've received A*A*A* at A-Level in History, Geography, English Literature and am now intending to apply to Oxbridge. However, my GCSE results were poor, with only two A*s in History and English Language, one A in Literature, and two B's and two C's in the others, with a BC in duel-science.

Will these bad GCSE results hold me back to a substantial degree in the admissions process to Cambridge?

Your most recent academic results are the most important, and Cambridge will be very happy to see an upward academic trajectory. You will be a competitive candidate at this stage. :yy:

Edit to add: also contact Cambridge's Post-Qualification Results Advice Clinic via Christ's College...
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-days-prospective-applicants/results-clinic
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Your most recent academic results are the most important, and Cambridge will be very happy to see an upward academic trajectory. You will be a competitive candidate at this stage. :yy:

Doonesbury right as usual and GCSE's are only really an indicator of what you might achieve at A Level.You have already achieved at A level so puts you in better position.What do you want to study? I would also get yourself to the open day which will be in Sept and talk to Cambridge tutors about your situation and get the info on your chances from the horse's mouth.
Hello,

I expect this question will annoy some. I've received A*A*A* at A-Level in History, Geography, English Literature and am now intending to apply to Oxbridge. However, my GCSE results were poor, with only two A*s in History and English Language, one A in Literature, and two B's and two C's in the others, with a BC in duel-science.

Oh crikey, of course you have a chance at Oxbridge! If your A levels were so strong, then that shows real potential to succeed in an academic environment, and a fantastic upward trajectory! This is what they are really looking for, not a perfect academic record. I really believe you should definitely give it a go. Your weaker GCSEs hardly matter now, as long as you’ve satisfied the specific requirements such as a C in English language and maths or whatever it is.

Btw, this shouldn’t annoy people, because it’s clearly an honest question, and you’re not of those people who say “are my 1000 A*s at GCSE good enough for Oxbridge?”

Best of luck in all you do.
Reply 5
nope, it wont hold you back at all
dual*
Original post by almondtitan3515
lol. those GCSE grades aren't bad? 3A* at a level is amazing and you should be proud of what you achieved mate, And the chances of your admission being accepted is determined alot by your personal statement soo thats what you can do right now, thats the only thing you can change so focus on that, don't focus on whats already been done

Thank you. I agree, personal statement is much more of a concern.
Original post by Doonesbury

Edit to add: also contact Cambridge's Post-Qualification Results Advice Clinic via Christ's College...
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-days-prospective-applicants/results-clinic

Thanks, for the link. Indeed, 'upward trajectory' has been a common saying amongst my tutors.
I think Oxbridge. (Cambridge definitely more so than Oxford), really do love an increasing academic gradient, if you get how I mean. I.e significant improvement and dedication between GCSE and A Level, which is definitely visible from the 3A*. I'd suggest Cambridge over Oxford because Oxford are renowned for not being the most lenient GCSE wise, Cambridge you'd defo have a chance. Just make sure you smash the PS and interview, the academics should be more than good enough.
Original post by Scotney
Doonesbury right as usual and GCSE's are only really an indicator of what you might achieve at A Level.You have already achieved at A level so puts you in better position.What do you want to study? I would also get yourself to the open day which will be in Sept and talk to Cambridge tutors about your situation and get the info on your chances from the horse's mouth.

Ah, your point about the use of GCSE's seems quite sound. I wish to study History and Politics.
Ah, your point about the use of GCSE's seems quite sound. I wish to study History and Politics.

Well get that email into Christ's tomorrow and find out what your chances are.Let us know and goodluck!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply