Opening a student bank account AFTER setting up student finance.

Watch
Tuturu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
  1. I set up my student finance a few months ago before I received my results to confirm I was definitely going to university. Now that I know for sure that I'm going I was thinking of setting up a student bank account but I have one question on my mind. I've been sent a code by UCAS that I need to present and my local bank in order to open the student bank account. However I can't seem to find online whether it opens the student bank account as an entirely new account that is separate to my current account or if it simply sets my current account to a student account. Also, whichever it ends up doing, will I need to contact student finance to let them know that my account is now a student account?
GamingAnonymous
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is up to you whether it opens a new account or upgrades your current one. Your bank can do this for you. This 'code' is nothing special it just identifies you and your place at University what you do with it is up to you. If you want your account upgraded to a student one, tell your bank that, if you want another account opened for your student account, tell them that.
Tuturu
Rep:
?
(Original post by GamingAnonymous)
It is up to you whether it opens a new account or upgrades your current one. Your bank can do this for you. This 'code' is nothing special it just identifies you and your place at University what you do with it is up to you. If you want your account upgraded to a student one, tell your bank that, if you want another account opened for your student account, tell them that.
Thanks for giving me the answer. If I do decide to upgrade my current account then will I need to notify student finance or will my bank details all remain the same?
GamingAnonymous
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tuturu)
Thanks for giving me the answer. If I do decide to upgrade my current account then will I need to notify student finance or will my bank details all remain the same?
I think you would get new bank details. In which case you would need to update student finance. This can be done on the site however and takes all of 30 seconds so is nice and easy.
Tuturu
Rep:
?
(Original post by GamingAnonymous)
I think you would get new bank details. In which case you would need to update student finance. This can be done on the site however and takes all of 30 seconds so is nice and easy.
Thanks for letting me know, you've been really helpful.
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My bank (nationwide) just changed my current account into a student account for me. This meant I kept the same sort code and account number, so no need to tell student finance or my work or anything.
Tuturu
Rep:
?
(Original post by KittyN)
My bank (nationwide) just changed my current account into a student account for me. This meant I kept the same sort code and account number, so no need to tell student finance or my work or anything.
Thanks for letting me know, thatst actually perfect.
djt_kentuni
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should have recieved a confirmation letter from the university that you applied for on UCAS. Banks are able to accept this as proof of study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (511)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (309)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise