The Student Room Group

No one to talk to at home

So, basically I've no one at home to talk to about my interests (history, politics etc). My mum who I live with shows no interests and complains when I try to chat about such things. I can't get out much to interact with others for reasons I wont go into here and my friends don't share such interests. I get really frustrated a lot of the time.
Join some sort of history/politics club and you'll find people who are intersted
Reply 2
Original post by RescuingRomans
So, basically I've no one at home to talk to about my interests (history, politics etc). My mum who I live with shows no interests and complains when I try to chat about such things. I can't get out much to interact with others for reasons I wont go into here and my friends don't share such interests. I get really frustrated a lot of the time.

i know exactly what you mean, its like that at home for me too. I am a total nerd- love science and history, i love to question things that most people just take as red so to speak. I have a huge passion for sci-fi/fantasy tv shows/films, and I like different types of music and different celebrities etc. but no one else in my family is remotely interested. My parents and younger sister all seem to like the same kinds of things- things that drive me up the wall with bordem like endless gardening, diy and cooking shows and too much reality tv. as a result i hardly ever watch tv on an actual tv cause i don't get a look in (instead i use my laptop and things like amazon prime and google play).

I have tried talking, but they literally ignore me, and start talking about other things. I understand the frustration- I know you can't change what people like (they can't change what i like) but just to listen is all i ask)

I do however have a good deal of online friends who share my interests perfectly, found through twitter and facebook. Some of which have become proper friends i meet up with sometimes, and being able to talk to them in person about things i enjoy and people i like, knowing they understand and feel the same is the best feeling. It's still hard not being able to talk so freely at home, but i don't feel as trapped as i did before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending