mechanical engineering do you really need good communication skills? Watch

tom123h456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am very shy and get nervous doing presentation, does a degree in engineering really need good communication skills.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I mean most things need relatively good communication skills, but not mechanical engineering especially.
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Every degree/job needs good communication skills. It's an unwritten requirement. You will most likely be asked to do some group work and give a presentation at some point.
Student-95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not so much for the degree but it'll be an important skill for a job.
onebro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I doubt it. You will need to be able to read and understand technician drawings, and convey your ideas. ( later on it will depend on the job, if you are leading a team then yes you will need to have decent communication skills) It is much more important to be good with practical side of things. ( At work it helps if you can deal well with banter)
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tom123h456)
I am very shy and get nervous doing presentation, does a degree in engineering really need good communication skills.
You'll learn to improve those skills during the course (and on any course really, it's just a useful life skill to have and everyone gets a bit nervous. Don't worry it will be fine.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Part of Engineering is communicating with clients to understand what they need. You will be practising these skills in a good degree when working in a group or in design assessments. I'd suggest a course with a year in industry to support you to develop the skills you will need.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As others have mentioned, communication skills are generally very important, not just for engineering but most other jobs too.

As others have also mentioned, however, for an engineering degree, communication skills* aren't hugely important. I would say that the most important skill to complete an engineering degree is being good mathematically, i.e. be good at manipulating and solving equations.

*What you actually mean in this instance is presentation skills. This is a subset of communication skills, but not necessarily the same thing as most communication isn't done via presentations. You will have to do some presentations during the degree, so you will get the opportunity to practise them. You will also have to write reports during the degree, too, which are another form of communication skills. Just because you are nervous at delivering presentations doesn't mean you have bad communication skills!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads