The Student Room Group

Gumtree Refund

I had advertised my mum's old earrings on gumtree for £10. My mum believed they were 9 carat gold (she had bought them new), so I advertised them as that and I myself don't know that much about jewellery anyway, so I just went with what she said. The earrings had some studs missing as well but I didn't explicitly mention that but I thought it was very clear what condition the earrings were in from the photo.
Anyway so yesterday a lady bought the earrings and today I saw that she messaged me saying that I had false advertised and sold her a faulty product. She said they are not 9 carat and studs are missing. I said sorry and told her about me not knowing they weren't 9 carat and how I thought it was obvious studs were missing. I haven't said this to her but when I was giving them to her, I asked her if she wanted to check the items in the box I put them in before she gave me the money, and she said no and paid me and that was that.
So after I saw her message, I straightaway apologised and offered to give her the £10 back and I'm still waiting for a reply.
Sorry this is long, but I was basically wondering if I should actually be offering to give the £10 back (I don't mind giving it back) and if I do, should I ask for the earrings back?
Also I know this is me overthinking, but she drove over to near my house yesterday, so if she asks me to give her more money besides the £10 for fuel cost or something, do I have to do that? Or if she asks me to deliver the £10, should I do that?
Thanks in advance.
I mean personally, I would also offer her refund and with that yes she gives back the earings. No, I wouldn't pay for her fuel costs or extra, because I don't feel as if it is my responsibility, everyone always takes a gamble when buying on gumtree (there are no guarantees). And delivering the refund is completely up to you, but again, no, personally I wouldn't.
Reply 2
If you're a rightious person you'd offer them the refund, you don't need to pay for the transport... She chose to travel for the exchange of money for goods, its not a case of you making her travel for it
Reply 3
Thank you both for replying. She still hasn't replied yet but I'm hoping she'll be okay with my money back offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I had advertised my mum's old earrings on gumtree for £10. My mum believed they were 9 carat gold (she had bought them new), so I advertised them as that and I myself don't know that much about jewellery anyway, so I just went with what she said. The earrings had some studs missing as well but I didn't explicitly mention that but I thought it was very clear what condition the earrings were in from the photo.
Anyway so yesterday a lady bought the earrings and today I saw that she messaged me saying that I had false advertised and sold her a faulty product. She said they are not 9 carat and studs are missing. I said sorry and told her about me not knowing they weren't 9 carat and how I thought it was obvious studs were missing. I haven't said this to her but when I was giving them to her, I asked her if she wanted to check the items in the box I put them in before she gave me the money, and she said no and paid me and that was that.
So after I saw her message, I straightaway apologised and offered to give her the £10 back and I'm still waiting for a reply.
Sorry this is long, but I was basically wondering if I should actually be offering to give the £10 back (I don't mind giving it back) and if I do, should I ask for the earrings back?
Also I know this is me overthinking, but she drove over to near my house yesterday, so if she asks me to give her more money besides the £10 for fuel cost or something, do I have to do that? Or if she asks me to deliver the £10, should I do that?
Thanks in advance.

£10? Is that it?

More hassle than it's worth.

Quick Reply

Latest